News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Why the Tiger?

Started by BigJohn, May 07, 2005, 03:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohn

I am in Iraq and going home this summer, God willing and the river don't rise. :D

I am looking at the 650 Dakar, the KTM Adventure and the Tiger.  Why the Tiger over the rest?

The price of the Tiger and Dakar are comparable give or take 2K, the KTM is at the top of the price range, I'd get the GS 1150 if I was going to spend that much.

I'm looking to cruise the Texas Hill country most of the time, but would really like to ride to Alaska and ride the highway over the summer.

Thanks for the input.

BigJohn
BigJohn

Brock

Big J...Welcome.

You've already sussed that the Tiger is great value. You may think there are "better" bikes out there, but there's no denying you get a lot of bike for the money with a Tiger.

I've heard the 650GS is a tool, but it aint a Tiger. Once you've ridden one and heard that creamy triple clear it's throat anything else will sound asthmatic.

If you want unbiased opinion you're in the wrong place here but take some advice from someone who's tried most of the alternatives and get yerself a Tiger.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

WildeKurt

The F650 and the Tiger are two different animals. HP wise, there's no comparison.  The 955i is way more motor.  Course, it's also a lot heavier.  Guess it depends on what your gonna do with it.  For long distance, high speed riding or anything two up, the Tiger's the one to go for.  If you're looking at 650's on the other hand, there are some other alternatives:  KLR, DR, (both more dirt worth) or the DL650 which is more street worthy.  All three of those are less expensive that the beemer.  That said, the F650 is a fun bike (aren't they all!)

Kurt

BigJohn

I presently have a XR 650, and like the bike, but it's ability to handle the street is pretty weak.  I love it in the dirt, but that's only about 15% or less of my riding.  I'm on dirt roads and well worn truck trails scouting turkey or deer hunting spots when I'm off road, so I don't really need the ability to do a motocross or enduro with the bike.  If it gets me around ok in those conditions, and can perform at 70-80 on the highway I'm going to be happy.

At first glance, the Tiger seems like it meet my needs.  How is it on the bumby stuff?  Again, nothing more serious than a dirt path or access road through a pasture.

Thanks for all the input.

BigJohn
BigJohn

zombie

I'm taking my tigger to Alaska from massachusetts and I have done all sorts of riding on it with no probs whatsoever

Dick Boyer

The Tiger is great on dirt or gravel roads but don't get excited about trails. 2 tracks are ok but don't push it especially in corners. 500lbs is a handful off road,  nothing like an XR650R or even L. Its about 20% off road but mean on the street. Had opportunity to ride a KTM950 and the new GS!200. The KTM was a lot better off road but down on power compared to a 955 Tiger on road. The GS, I only rode on the street but I'm sure would be a little better off road than the Tiger. On road the Tiger had more bottom end power than   the BMW and ran cleaner down low but over 3500rpm they were even.

The big limiting factor on the dirt worthyness of the Tiger is tires. It would schred knobbies fast. Otherwise a great bike.

Slim Dave

On Saturday I took the tigger for a loop from Colorado Springs that took me on the slab at 80mph, along medium-speed county roads, up into the twisty paved roads of the front range, along unpaved dirt tracks, over gravel, through towns, up and down 15% unpaved grades, over gravel-covered wet twisties ...

No complaints at all. Everything I wanted it to do got done and after 140 miles I got home with enough gas in the tank to go do it again. I keep looking for an excuse to get another bike, but aside from something much more offroad-oriented I can't find a reason.

BigJohn

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the input!

I'm pretty sold on the Tiger from this and all I have read.  I will get my change in August to make my decision.

Once again,

Thanks.
BigJohn

Howlin

S/Dave I don't suppose you rode to Divide,Decker,or over to Florisant,
Buena Vista,C/Creek,Victor,down to Canon City?
Yer making me sick for Col.again!  :D

Slim Dave

Quote from: "Howlin"S/Dave I don't suppose you rode to Divide,Decker,or over to Florisant,

Buena Vista,C/Creek,Victor,down to Canon City?

Yer making me sick for Col.again!  :D

Heh heh heh. North on I-25, exiting at Monument to take 105 north, then left on 67 "Jarre Canyon Rd", then West Sugar Creek Rd down to S. Platte River Rd (67 again) through Deckers, then 67 down to Woodland Pk, then 24 back to the Springs.

It was faaaantastic.