News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 885 lean hesitation?

Started by xephe, October 18, 2015, 05:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xephe

Ok, a bit of an update.

I resolved to try and diagnose what's going on so decided to look at changing the airflow rate into the air box and see what happened.

I fashioned a 'restrictor' to essentially block the airflow at the inlet and then began testing by drilling three 6.5 mm holes to allow a reduced flow of air.

Test run one: immediate improvement in low down performance, super smooth no hesitation, big difference.  Struggling at the top end though unsurprisingly.  After a bit more drilling and several more test runs I have now settled on six 6.5mm holes as being about the right level of airflow.  Hesitation is now gone between 4K and 5k, pulls away super smooth and responds really well when you crack open the throttle.  Admittedly this has been at the expense of some top end performance but I use the bike for commuting every day so it needs to work for that first and foremost.

Whilst I can't confirm the presence or nature of a JDM restrictor previously this does point to something along these lines having been in place.  I'll look at ways of engineering a better solution but this new information should prove useful.  It would be interesting to see what jet sizes were in there but that may need to wait until I have more time.

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

BruKen

Japanese Domestic Market / Model

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i