News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

XCA is it worth it

Started by Spud, October 31, 2015, 03:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

I have been riding light weight bikes since May and the 955 has not been getting a lot of use since it's off road trip to Aragon, been looking at lighter bikes including the XCA, KTM 690 and also CCM, I presently use a DR 350 for off road stuff but have to take days getting anywhere, so the interest in a lighter than the 955 but bigger than a 350.

What are your thoughts on the XCA/XC 800's

cheers Spud  :thumbsup 

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

motoOzarks

Quote from: Spud on October 31, 2015, 03:38:56 PM

What are your thoughts on the XCA/XC 800's

You'll wish it was lighter for the price
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

vince

don't tell me you are seeing the light  :wings
addmitedly I'm talking about an 800 road 12 plate
cant see there is much difference in the new model but all the gizmo's

when I upgraded a couple of years back because the weight was becoming an issue
thought I'd regret it but no I haven't
miss the upfront grunt and deluxe ride of the 955i  :icon_cry:
but at approximately 30 kilo's lighter slightly lower weight  distribution
makes up for those and some
easier to manoeuvre loaded now able to uturn without struggling to manoeuvre
and worrying about tigger napping  :icon_lol:

you could ask this question here :-
http://www.tiger800.co.uk
wealth of info there

cheers vince  :occasion14
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

Sin_Tiger

I obviously like the 800's, this guff about high COG is just that, it's pretty easy to handle even for a numpty like me. Having personally compared the GS 800, V-Strom, 1200 Tenere, Varadero and AT 750. I say there is little difference on that front. On the road it leaves the others trailing in all ways.

You have to ride one back to back with the Girly to know in your own mind but I think you may well come away quite impressed.

The CCM is a lovely bike but as you say, any thumper below 500 cc is a bit of a slog for distance work when there are time constraints, I'd have one if I hadn't already exceeded my quota  :pottytrain2
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I've not tried an 800 yet, although I've convinced myself it would be better than my 955i in my head.  Thing is, the only time I'm not happy with my Girly, is when I'm chasing my mate's 1200GS up a hairpin-riddled alpine pass in 40 deg heat.  Which happens one week a year. The rest of the time I'm happy enough.  Happy enough not to spend £5k getting little  in return....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Spud

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 01, 2015, 01:34:40 AM
I've not tried an 800 yet, although I've convinced myself it would be better than my 955i in my head.  Thing is, the only time I'm not happy with my Girly, is when I'm chasing my mate's 1200GS up a hairpin-riddled alpine pass in 40 deg heat.  Which happens one week a year. The rest of the time I'm happy enough.  Happy enough not to spend £5k getting little  in return....

Part ex my 955 I would get about 2.5k so a big wedge needed to top up  :icon_eek:

do love the engine in my bike

vince

Quote from: Spud on November 01, 2015, 09:53:22 AM
Part ex my 955 I would get about 2.5k so a big wedge needed to top up  :icon_eek:

do love the engine in my bike

I was the same spud
but as sin said ride them back to back and you'll know it's for you  :love10
if you shop around for PX you might get a better deal
my best deal was from destination triumph Guilford surrey
not much help for you distance wise but got £3200.00 when all others were quoting £2500
£700.00 is £700 les to pay
go on spend the kids inheritance   :wheel
if you've got any left after the house  :icon_lol:
I know this was a couple of years back but hey ho you'll never know unless you try
I know from experience how hard it it to get money out of tight northeners   :ImaPoser :ImaPoser

oh by the way I've got some 800 spares going cheep  :Topes
just kidding  :pottytrain2

cheers vince  :friday :occasion14
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

Spud

Vince you always make me chuckle  :thumbsup

Chris Canning

If your going to do what you say I'd buy a 660 Tenere their plenty fast enough bullet proof  engine cost peanuts and a lot easy to pick up,I've have my 660X on the way to 7 years and it's a great piece of kit which has the same motor.

Go to XT660.com

Bixxer Bob

Just looked up the specs, seems about the same as my old 650GS in terms of power and weight Chris.  Is yours standard or have you "tinkered" with that too???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Mine has a PC and a few bits and bobs but I've also ridden a Tenere they'll run all day long at 90 as mine will do with stock gearing it's what they all use for going to North Africa assuming that's what it's needed for and not riding through a puddle in Tesco's car park :icon_wink:

Cheap to buy and tons of spares when you chuck it down the road.

What I forgot is the KTM route hah ha most folk can't stand hassle or the financial drain but if you can they really are the bike for you.

Bixxer Bob

Again, just like my old GS.  It would run 90 all day but my eyeballs used to suffer for it.....  hence I chopped it for the 955....

Bloody circular arguments...     :BangHead

Chris Canning

Blimey Bix the game has moved on XT660Z Tenere on eBay 3000 miles on a 64 plate for £5300 and you could ride to the ends of the earth on it.  :icon_lol: and they do.

And the very reason if I'm only riding one up all I ever ride is my 660 because it takes zero effort although I will say the most I have ever done in a day on it is 300 miles but mine doesn't have a fairing :icon_frown:

motoOzarks

Or when those aren't available

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i