News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headlights on with ignition

Started by fraserdog, October 26, 2015, 10:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

I have a new to me 05 Girly and the headlights come on with the ignition when the engine isn't running,on my 02 there is a switch on the R/H switchgear to turn the lights on and off.Has anyone converted a later bike so the lights can be switched on/off as I'd rather not put a drain on the battery if possible when just turning the ignition on.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Mustang

IIRC models without a r/h switch  should shut off automatically when starter engages and back on after starter disengages
there really isnt a lot of drain as you normally wont have ignition on without engine running

John Stenhouse

You can replace the RH switch block with the one from the earlier bikes, all the wirings the same it's plug and play. Mind it's not cheap, last one I bought was £90
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

fraserdog

Thanks for that,i was wondering if an earlier switchgear would work. :icon_smile:
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Dyn Blin

Quote from: Mustang on October 26, 2015, 11:24:50 PM
IIRC models without a r/h switch  should shut off automatically when starter engages and back on after starter disengages
there really isnt a lot of drain as you normally wont have ignition on without engine running

Right on as always Mustang.  OEM turnes light on with ignition switch, then cuts as starter is engaged, then on again as starter button is released.

There's a pretty easy mod one can execute that keeps the headlights off completely until the starter button is released.  Makes it nice to work on the bike when you need to use Tune ECU or other electrical work with the key turned and not drain the battery.  The little "parking" lights still come on when the key is turned with mod too, if one is concerned about that. 

If you're interested, PM me and I'll get you going in the right direction.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Fentible

Quote from: John Stenhouse on October 27, 2015, 12:33:22 AM
You can replace the RH switch block with the one from the earlier bikes, all the wirings the same it's plug and play. Mind it's not cheap, last one I bought was £90
Did this with mine, paid £18 for a 1999 ST sprint one off ebay, plugged straight in.

fraserdog

1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Bixxer Bob

Many of the models from that period used the same switch gear so if it looks right it probably is.  Mine is off a Daytona.  Bear in mind, they were built like that to comply with new legislation at the time that required motorcycles to have their lights on all the time.  Manufacturers simply removed the on/off switch.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

fraserdog

Just bought a switch from a 2001 Sprint ST and it looks as if it will do the job.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Boo

I have been wanting to do this myself. I want to know is it literally just a straight plug in to an exhisting plug already in the loom or do I need to cut and shut the loom? Is it obvious to spot the plug or is it a pain in the arse job?

John Stenhouse

No it really is plug it in to the same plug you undo the old one from and away you go, no cutting involved. As BB says all they did was remove the headlight switch from the block and blank the space left.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Boo

Thanks for that. I will be on the lookout for a new switch then.  :eusa_clap

fraserdog

1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Boo

I got a right hand switchgear from fleabay for less than thirty quid, fitted it to the bike today. Simple job, it really was a plug in and away we go. Less than an hour. I can now switch my lights off. Brilliant.