News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Moab, Utah Dualsport Ride

Started by bahtiger, May 15, 2005, 03:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahtiger

Or "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Destroying a Triumph Tiger."

http://www.dm.net/~bahwolf/moab2005/moab2005-1.htm

Warning: it's a long report and not for the faint of heart.

ArizonaKid

Great ride report! Been through/across some of the same territory on my 02 Tiger from here in the Phoenix metro area. Sorry about the big blow up. I thought your salvaged motor idea might be worth exploring. It will be interesting to see how your insurance company responds. . .  Good luck.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

newmanr19

Quote from: "bahtiger"Or "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Destroying a Triumph Tiger."

http://www.dm.net/~bahwolf/moab2005/moab2005-1.htm

Warning: it's a long report and not for the faint of heart.

Such a sad demise for your steed; that's pretty surprising about the oil invading the cylindar like that; I assume it's fairly rare though as I have known several Tiger owners that have dropped their cats and not have that happen. We can hope it's rare anyway.

Oh, and here's a shot that you'll get a kick out of from my trip last year. I had the same thought as you (like no one has tried this before eh?) We tried to tip it the opposite side you did. Maybe next time we'll try it from the uphill side?

Speed3guy

Bummer about your Tiger!   Great ride report though!  

Does anybody know if this was this just a problem with the 885, or does it continue to be an issue with the later models?

ArizonaKid

Since I read the ride report yesterday I've been trying to figure out the mechanics of how oil can fill or partially fill the #1 cylinder (or any cylinder for that matter.  Seems to me that it can't come from the bottom past the rings, nor can it enter from either the exhaust or intake tracks (it would have to get by the valve guides somehow), so I'll ask, how does oil get into the cylinder?

From a personal perspective, I'll admit to having my Tiger upside down and although I picked it up right away (at least a 2-person job by the way), it didn't smoke or complain in any way when fired up. . .  This sounds very odd to me.  Maybe a technoweenie out there can help enlighten us. . .  Just curious.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Speed3guy

I had my speed triple upside down once for a few minutes  :(  and didn't have any problems either.  I can't imagine how oil could get into the cylinders unless it was through the airbox and into an open intake valve.

bahtiger

Guys, there's a long discussion about the problem over on the Triumph Rat website.  Check it out when you have time.    Here -- http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?o ... 1&forum=26  Others have heard of the problem before.  It appears it's confined to the 885, so you 955 owners should be fine.  And if your bike doesn't hydrolock after the drop, you're probably fine, too.

Cool pic, newmanr19.  Great minds think alike.   :D  :roll:

bahtiger

Quote from: "ArizonaKid"It will be interesting to see how your insurance company responds. . .  Good luck.

The insurance company has accepted the claim and is processing it as a total loss.  We're just arguing now over the value of the bike.  They use NADA, which is fine, but I'm arguing that the bike -- set up for offroad use -- had more than $1500 invested in accessories: crash guards, sump guard, fender extenders fr and rr, headlight guard, Hepco & Becker hard bags and rear rack, heavy-duty offroad pegs, radiator guard, oil-cooler guard, etc ... plus my heated grips, Throttlemeisters, and progressive rate springs.

Mudhen

Damn Bahtiger...sorry to hear about that.  Glad your insurance may step up and help out.

As far as I've read...it's just the 885 injected bikes.  I couldn't find a single report of a Steamer having this happen (scared the daylights out of me when I first heard about it).

But I am thinking along the lines of venting the crankcase to the air rather than back into the airbox...just in case.

So what's your plan?  I hope you're going to stay in the 'family'?
\'96 Steamer

bahtiger

Quote from: "Mudhen"So what's your plan?  I hope you're going to stay in the 'family'?

Though I really loved the Tiger, I think I'll try something else next -- either a KTM or a 650 Dakar.  Not sure how long it'll be before I can afford either one, though.  For a while at least, it's back to hauling ass on pavement with my ZZR1200.  Needless to say, I don't take it offroad.  LOL.

Mudhen

Steamer.  There is no substitute.  
\'96 Steamer

bahtiger

Hey, guys.  Just thought I'd follow up here and let everyone know that my insurance company did pay off on my Tiger. Yeah, they bent me over a barrel -- insurance companies always do -- but I consider myself lucky that they accepted the claim. If they hadn't, I would have been truly screwed. Anyway, no more Tiger for me. I attempted to buy the bike back, but IMO they were asking too much and the bike would have likely just been something to push around in my garage for a couple years until I gave up on repairing it and parted it out. I barely have enough time for all my hobbies and work and writing career and stuff, without trying to find time to rebuild/replace an engine.

So ... unless/until I get another Triumph at some point in time, it's sayonara for me. You guys ride safe. My continuing motorcycle adventures (including whatever replaces the Tiger) will be documented on my website, http://bahwolf.com. Thanks to everyone for all the Tiger information and advice that I gleaned from this forum while I owned the bike.

newmanr19

you'll be back. I've owned one each of DRZ-400S, KTM 950; KTM 640 Adventure, KLR650, XR650L and have saddle time on a DR-650, a GS 1150 and V-Strom DL1000 but I'm on my second Tiger; it's in a class all on it's own.

bahtiger

Quote from: "newmanr19"you'll be back. I've owned one each of DRZ-400S, KTM 950; KTM 640 Adventure, KLR650, XR650L and have saddle time on a DR-650, a GS 1150 and V-Strom DL1000 but I'm on my second Tiger; it's in a class all on it's own.

Well, believe it or not, you were correct. I'm back. This weekend, I had an offer I simply couldn't pass up and drove to Dallas to pick up a certain orange beastie.

It's sitting in my garage now with all my other bikes. 2004 model with just 12,000 miles on the clock. Immaculate condition -- honestly, not a scratch on it. If I told you what I paid for it, you wouldn't believe me.

It looks a little nervous because I think one of the other bikes whispered, "Hey, you ... yeah, new guy, you with the Tiger Stripes ... I don't mean to alarm you or anything, but you might want to ask him what happened to the first Tiger he brought home."  :shock:

Mudhen

NICE!  Welcome back!

Now can you PLEASE be a little more careful this time around?

:P
\'96 Steamer