News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2012 Left Switchgear Retrofit

Started by mbellantone, January 31, 2016, 08:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbellantone

hey all, hope you are well.

One of the very few disappointing things about my Tiger when i bought it was that you had to poke directly at the console to access the trip computer and other functions.  As an upgrade, the later models now have handlebar "up and down" buttons to do the same job.

Has anyone done or do they know if I purchase the left switchgear, i'll be able to use the console controls from the bars?  (without butchering anything).

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

MB
2012 Tiger 800 Venom Yellow
1984 R80RT

Sin_Tiger

Simple answer, yes it's possible.

The instrument package on the 1st gen is effectively the same as that used on the Roadies and earlier street triples. This mod has been done on quite a few Roadies, I had planned to do it before trading it against the Trophy. I plan to do this on my XC in due course now that the warranty had expired.

It's simply (says he glibly) a matter of soldering a few cables directly to the back of the pcb to effectively run a switch (or two) to the bars. The cables don't need to more than light duty as they don't need to handle current, same with the switches, simple momentary contact but preferably water tight.

I'm sorry I can't help with photos as I didn't take any when having an initial investigation and don't think I wrote down the connection details but that wouldn't help as the 800 may well be different
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

mbellantone

Thanks Sin, did you use the stock Triumph switchgear or did you use aftermarket buttons?  Where did you start with figuring where the wires go?  Did you have a schematic to use?

Thanks,

M
1984 R80RT

Mustang

I believe if you read sins post again , you will see he never did it just sorta looked into it .

mbellantone

1984 R80RT

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Mustang on February 01, 2016, 04:19:39 PM
I believe if you read sins post again , you will see he never did it just sorta looked into it .
:nod

I did get as far as opening the instruments up to check that I could get at the rear of the in built switches enough to solder on the extension leads. I had intended to fit a small button into the existing left switch module. I'm not sure you can do that with the 800, don't have access to mine to check at the moment. If I was doing it now is probably use a Motogadget unit, pricey but bomb proof. Plenty of options or there if you have a look
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

blacktiger

I have read somewhere that a couple of people have used the "Pass" button.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.