News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Correct JB Weld for Spinning Tank Nuts?

Started by Danwarb, July 18, 2016, 04:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

ned37

last one i did a few years ago, i just used the regular stuff (don't recall any options back then).  still good today.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Danwarb

Quote from: ned37 on July 18, 2016, 06:09:09 PM
last one i did a few years ago, i just used the regular stuff (don't recall any options back then).  still good today.

Hi Ned,

I've had mixed replies. Some saying it worked really well with JB weld and others saying it didn't. Also that this was because some used the 'metal' based JB weld and some this 'plastic' based version.

Is this the one that worked well for you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JB-Weld-Original-Cold-Weld-Formula-Steel-Reinforced-Epoxy-2-x-28-4g-/251707180735?hash=item3a9aeac6bf:g:oK4AAOSwGvhULBdW

Any of you other guys experienced the two different JB welds for these setting these tank nuts?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

I went for this one Dan, Others have used the standard JB weld with great success, but I based my choice on the fact that this says its petrol resistant.  I did the repair in September and its still solid with no shrinkage or leaking evident.
Or... as I said last time you posted re this:
QuoteI used the Marine version, coz it said it's fuel resistant, don't be tempted to roughen the inside of the hole as the nylon is very thin in there... I used the original nuts and didn't alter them in any way.
I left a lip around the hole so that the repair was held in place once hardened - just like Mustang did.  Follow the 'how to' and you won't go wrong.
:icon_biggrin: Take lots of time, and lots of care  :thumbsup
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

ned37

QuoteIs this the one that worked well for you?
that's what i used
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on July 18, 2016, 08:45:05 PM
I went for this one Dan, Others have used the standard JB weld with great success, but I based my choice on the fact that this says its petrol resistant.  I did the repair in September and its still solid with no shrinkage or leaking evident.
Or... as I said last time you posted re this:  :icon_biggrin: Take lots of time, and lots of care  :thumbsup

Hi JayDub,

thanks for posting, so you mean you used the 'plastic' or the 'metal' JB weld version?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

Ha! I forgot to post the link Dan, it's 'JB marine weld', it sets like a hard resin, I don't think it's plastic?
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on July 18, 2016, 11:30:24 PM
Ha! I forgot to post the link Dan, it's 'JB marine weld', it sets like a hard resin, I don't think it's plastic?

Hi JayDub !

Thank you !!

Now I see what you mean, it's this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-B-WELD-Marine-Weld-Steel-Reinforced-Epoxy-Fibreglass-Metal-Aluminium-From-USA-/322134362800?hash=item4b00b44ab0:g:V1oAAOSwLs5XLwtf

I'm on it !

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885