News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Shock, Round 1 & 2 now

Started by Timbox2, March 20, 2016, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

At least you got it out,but  jeeze what a crap design  :icon_frown:

JoeDirt

Quote from: Timbox2 on March 27, 2016, 02:08:49 PM
Fast forward and after about 5 mins of heat gun and then a suitable bolt and drift it was out, ok Mr Canning, you were right again :icon_redface:

Nice work, too bad you didn't have a hydraulic press. It looks like that shock was put in without any lube. I could see adding that as a maintenance task to my own bike. That area see's a lot of moisture and dirt. :thumbsup

Timbox2

Quote from: JoeDirt on March 27, 2016, 05:04:27 PM
Nice work, too bad you didn't a hydraulic press. It looks like that shock was put in without any lube. I could see adding that as a maintenance task to my own bike. That area see's a lot of moisture and dirt. :thumbsup

Didnt need a hydro press, once I had it on its side on a large block of wood and had applied some heat it actually came out easy. My mate has a press round the corner but I decided to go with Chris' suggestion of heat and drift.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

I see this stuff every day of the week and in this kind of situation they are never pressed because if it doesn't go then you end up in PeteH's situation heat and a good drift do it every time.

Timbox2

Swingarm back on and pivot mount cleaned up, pivot now pushes in and out with me finger, still reckon Im gonna have to order a new pivot though. Oh and Keeping the swingarm shims in place was a bit challenging on me tod.

So what grease do folks recommend for stopping the pivot seizing in the arm again, Im not sure Coppaslip is the right stuff as we have ally and steel together.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Shell Retinex LX2 or Shell CalithiaEPT

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Marine SW resistant if you can get it as that's basically what winter roads are. Source of amusement that they went from overkill on the steamer to this  :icon_scratch:.

Why do people assume that a bronze bush is a silver bullet, only if the steel pin doesn't rust and seize in the bush  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Dutch

Quote from: Timbox2 on March 27, 2016, 08:11:01 PM
So what grease do folks recommend for stopping the pivot seizing in the arm again, Im not sure Coppaslip is the right stuff as we have ally and steel together.
In general ceramic grease seems to be taking the place of the much loved copper grease.

Timbox2

For those like me who have wondered why the lower bush will only come out right to left heres a pic taken from the left through the mount

Quite obvious now
2016 Tiger Sport

Spud

anyone got a heat gun ?

cheers Spud