News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine bogging down after... valve clearance/TB sync/blank plate removal

Started by Papalobster, April 18, 2016, 12:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papalobster

I did all that and plugs too. Starts and idles perfectly. Cruises down the road nicely as well, but if I roll on the throttle in any gear, it just falls on its face. Bogging like it's starved for fuel. I only went about 15 miles, but it didn't improve at all.

It ran fine previously, but had a burble at 2500-3500 or so and a lean pop on decel.

Will the ECU self adjust to compensate for the added air from the blanking plate removal? Or will I actually have to figure out how to use my Tuneboy software?

Other than the blanking plate, the only other mod is a TOR pipe.

JoeDirt

How old is the gas? and did it have ethanol in it?

Also, did you change maps? There is a factory TOR tune on TuneECU. I have a '01 with airbox mode and TOR can. I run the TOR tune with success on mine.

TuneECU cable on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Triumph-Motorcycle-TuneECU-Program/dp/B003ZKKMLE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460932447&sr=8-1&keywords=tuneecu+cable

Cheaper cable on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=321732989448&_sacat=0

TuneECU software is a free download...

Papalobster

Full tank fresh 91 octane no ethanol. I loaded tune ECU onto the laptop and my Tune Boy cable works with Tune ECU.

I'll load that tune and see if it's any better.

Tuneboy is really difficult to navigate.

JoeDirt

There's a video at the bottom of this thread. Just make sure you download the right MAP.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8852.0.html

Bixxer Bob

Nothing you did there would make THAT much difference.  I didn't make any changes to mine when I removed the air box baffle.

MY opinion, you need to back track over everything you did and see what's changed, particularly sensor connections (airbox air temp sensor)  hose that runs from the airbox to the ECU for the baro reading, air filter correctly installed, IACV airbox gasket ok, TPS connector good etc etc.

If that's ok, and you're sure you didn't make any mistakes doing the clearances and TB balance or when putting it together afterwards, then we have to start thinking it through.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Papalobster

I checked connections to the air box temp sensor, and vacuum line to the ECU. and anything I could see with out removing the tank/airbox. I loaded the correct tune as light was failing last night. Riding to work this AM it was about 50% better, but still bogs/stumbles rolling the throttle on.

I'm going to do the 12 minute thing at lunch time today and see if it's different on the ride home.

Bixxer Bob

you need the adaptation, not the 12 minute tune.  See in the how to section
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Papalobster

I thought the reset adaptation button on Tune ECU was for Keihin only and that Sagem relied on the 12 minute run? Mines an 02 VIN 139xxx

Bixxer Bob

Nope.  Neither is done using a TuneECU button. The TuneECU button resets the trims (alledgedly, I've never noticed a difference). If you have an O2 sensor, you need Adaptation.  If you don't have an O2 sensor you need the 12 minute tune.

Adaptation relies on the O2 sensor tweeking the trims during a given set of circumstances until the mixture is balanced.

12 minute tune  resets the trims to factory if you follow a given set of circumstances.

If you have an O2 sensor and you want to reset the trims rather than adjust them, reload the map following the procedure in the manual.

Papalobster

I pulled it down to the valve cover last night. Everything is as it should be. The tube to the ECU was pulled out a bit, so I re-inserted it and added a zip-tie to add some tension. A 15 mile ride showed improved throttle response, but still has bogging. Not as bad as it was, but anything in 4-6th gear just doesn't pull like it used to.

Going to be heading out for vacation for a week, so I'll check in when I get back.

fraserdog

Strange thing but i balanced the throttle bodies ( which were way out) on my new to me 05 Girly and it to seems to "bog down" on occasions,i came out of a corner tonight and wound it up and it acted as what i can only describe as "turbo lag",cogged it down and it picked up and i was away again.Very strange as it didn't do it before i did the throttle bodies,the only other thing i did when i had the tank off was to change the aftermarket k&n type air filter someone had fitted with an oem one. :icon_scratch:
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Bixxer Bob

OK folks listen in, the TB setup is very sensitive on Tigers so much so that triumph recommend using a digital gauge.  I found it hard to do using the old rubber ring on the throttle grip as the revs wouldn't hold steady.  I now use t pieces in the connection just bythe TB stubs then reconnect the IACV to tubes.  In this way you are balancing everything in use mode rather than with the IACV disconnected.

Papalobster

Quote from: fraserdog on April 21, 2016, 10:57:14 PM
Strange thing but i balanced the throttle bodies ( which were way out) on my new to me 05 *Girly* and it to seems to "bog down" on occasions,i came out of a corner tonight and wound it up and it acted as what i can only describe as "turbo lag",cogged it down and it picked up and i was away again.Very strange as it didn't do it before i did the throttle bodies,the only other thing i did when i had the tank off was to change the aftermarket k&n type air filter someone had fitted with an oem one. :icon_scratch:

That would describe mine as well. Still doing it. Days have been too cold to do the adaption procedure. It's supposed to get into the  low 60's today so I'm going to have a go at that.   I'll take a screenshot of the Tune ECU diagnostic screen, perhaps that can shed some light on my issue.

My Throttle bodies were near perfect with only a slight adjustment needed.

I have a ride planned for next week (about 2k miles round trip), and I am hesitant to take the bike.

Bixxer Bob

Stepper motor setting should be around 30-35 steps.....

If it's trimmed itself to run with the TBs way out, no way will it run right once they've been reset until the trims are reset also.  I would re-load the map and do an adaptation (use a fan heater to get the airbox temp up if necessary). 

fraserdog

I re balanced the TB's with T pieces as advised and they weren't that far out but got them within a knats whisker with my carbtune mercury column gauges but it still does it on occasion.The throttle goes from zero to 73 percent on tune ecu,how would i find what the stepper motor was doing? Excuse my ignorance but fule injection on bikes is new to me.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a