News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger in Death Valley

Started by BykBoy, June 01, 2005, 07:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BykBoy

On my way back from CA, I took a little detour through Death Valley.

I came from the west on 178 through Inyokern, CA. and north into Panamint Valley. Then West on 190 and North to South Pass and Hunter Mountain. I rode down to Hidden Valley and Teakettle Junction. I spent the night just past the Racetrack.

Early Thursday morning I rode to Ubehebe Crater and from there to Scottys Castle to get gas. I got there at 7:30 AM but the gas station was closed and was not going to open for another 2 hours. I figured I had just enough gass to make it to Stovepipe Wells, about 20 miles away. I made it to SW just to find the gas station closed for renovations. I continued south on 190 to Furnace Creek, another 20 miles away... Sure enough I ran out of gas 7 miles from the Furnace Creek. Fortunately, I had a spare 1/2 gallon with me...

After filling up at Furnace Creek, I backtracked North and took 374 towards Beatty. I crossed the Nevada state line and turned back into the valley through Titus Canyon. The canyon is deep and narrow and has a gravel road that runs through it. The gravel is deep and soft and the road is twisty and tight, especially in the lower part of the canyon where the canyon walls are up to 1000 ft tall and the canyon is as narrow as the road. There is not a lot of room to maneuver...

Damn, that canyon was hard to ride! I fell many times and I was swetting like a geek on a date. The lower canyon was just too much for my skill level. I was falling every 50-100 ft. At one point, the road made a hard turn to the right and I was took it too wide. the left side saddle bag hit the canyon wall and broke off. Luckally, I was able to fit it back on. On another fall, I got my left ancle cought under the left saddle bag. Furtunately, the gravle was soft and I was able to wiggle my leg out. Another fall clamed one of my PIAA lights... Heck, I even broke my brand new Treo 650 phone that was stowed away in the tank bag...

Well, after making it through Titus Canyon, I had to go to Las Vegas and get a new rear tire. The tourance I had was clearly not going to last much longer. After getting a new Anakee from Las Vagas BMW, with my phone broken and my left heal hurting, I wonted to get back on the open road and head back east. I still had about 2,500 miles to cover and I was anxious to get going again.

I ended up heading north on I-15 and taking I-70 all the way to St. Louis. Then I-64 to I-81 to I-66 straight into Arlington, VA.

Pictures were taken with a phone camera so the quality is not good.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

waltconrad

I sweat blood riding a KLR 250 on dirt around Vegas. I can't imagine triing to handle a tiger in it.
"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.