News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cam question

Started by ssevy, July 06, 2016, 01:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

So my buddy has a Daytona Super 3, and we have heard mixed opinions on how many different cams Triumph used in the carbed triples. I have read that Steamers have a "brown" cam, as opposed to a red, blue, or green cam. My buddy says the specs of the Steamer cam appear to be identical to the Sprint and Daytona cams. Another friend said that Triumph varied output by changing compression and not necessarily the cams.
I told my buddies that one of you wizards from the mother country could probably set this all straight.
Anyone want to share a definitive history lesson and clear this up for us?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

nickjtc

I'm looking forward to the answer to that one, too.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

Super3 has red cams,and high comp pistons same as 750? It's believed that Cosworth Engineering tuned the engine? But I've heard that Triumph themselves did the design and work,and Cosworth only cast the engine block at their foundry,using a denser aluminum?? How are his valve clearances? I've had an issue with my Super3's since about 25k miles. Apparently Triumph fitted poorly made..'soft' valves into some early engines. The 'high lift' characteristics of the cam,accelerate the wear process.
Great engine though. Noticeable increase in performance higher up in the rev range,but not as flexible lower Down. I've had mine since 1998. Appart from having the valves shimmed a few times,I've only had to change a crank sensor. So I can't complain.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

I believe the 750 high comp piston info is correct but you'll struggle to find any.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

That Hinkley Triumph book Ive just bought says that for the S3 "New cylinder heads were produced and Cosworth also revised the crankcases".......... It also lists the compression ratio as 12.1 as opposed to the 750 engine which was 11:1, so Im guessing that apart from the 750 pistons there was other stuff done too. I have heard of people with the early Speed Triples fitting the 750 pistons, but as Sin says these days I bet they are like rocking horse doodoo, though of course early Daytona 1000 pistons are the same too
2016 Tiger Sport