News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clive Woods course attendees

Started by Bixxer Bob, June 15, 2016, 11:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Can anyone that attended Clive's engine build course remember what he said about gudgeon pins????

I can vaugely remember something about a known wear problem and an easy fix but that's all.  Since I'm about to open mine up it would be good to know what else to look for.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I seem to remember he said change them, small money (without checking). I think he said the clips should be changed also.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JoeDirt

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 02, 2015, 10:01:28 AM
I also agree.  Valve seals are still a head off job though so you'll have a chance to look around inside to be sure nothing's amiss and the liners will have to be re-seated when you put it back together.  Since you'll be going that far another Clive tip:  replace the gudgeon pins and circlips.  They are cheap and the only bits that wear significantly  leading to what sounds like little end rattle.

Bixxer you have gone full circle...  :icon_scratch:

Timbox2

Fowlers Bristol are showing good stock of Gudgeon pins and Circlips, £14 odd the lot, cheap as chips. Its the bloody gaskets that are an arm and a leg. And heres a thing, Ive always thought it was Blue Hylomar that was what the Factory used for the liners, and yet according to my Factory Manual its Three Bond TB1215J.
2016 Tiger Sport

JoeDirt

Quote from: Timbox2 on June 15, 2016, 03:50:27 PM
according to my Factory Manual its Three Bond TB1215J.

Hey Tim, Triumph part number T4000625 is "Hylomar" and is listed in the Triumph's description as "Hylomar". If you search on the internet for T4000625, you'll see many Triumph service centers selling that part number with cylinder sleeves for all of our bikes. Also, this forum (TigerTriple) has a long history with "Hylomar" and after reading Hylomar's sales propaganda, Hylomar brand was developed by Rolls Royce for their jet engines. Hylomar is rated to 250°C. I cannot find any supporting information on TB1215 other than it is silicon based. The Three Bond website is not very forth coming on details. :icon_rolleyes: Triumph may use the TB1215 as an equal or alternative sealer but, I could not find a Triumph part number for TB1215. That does not mean one does not exist, someone else closer to Triumph might be able to find it.

BTW, my Hanes book doesn't mention sealing the sleeves and my Triumph service manual says "Apply silicone sealer to the liner to crankcase mating face." The manual says nothing about what type to use...  :icon_mad:

I need to get off this thread... I didn't attend Clive Wood's course. :icon_sad:

Timbox2

Quote from: JoeDirt on June 15, 2016, 05:56:13 PM

I need to get off this thread... I didn't attend Clive Wood's course. :icon_sad:

Or me, Ill get me coat
2016 Tiger Sport

JoeDirt

Quote from: Timbox2 on June 15, 2016, 06:52:25 PM
Or me, Ill get me coat

Yea... it's ca... ca... ca... cold in here.

Bixxer Bob

Thanks Niall, I thought it was something like that, and the circlips are a bit of a known failure too I think.

Joe,  I can't even remember writing that, but thanks anyway.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sparky

Quote from: JoeDirt on June 15, 2016, 05:56:13 PM
Hey Tim, Triumph part number T4000625 is "Hylomar" and is listed in the Triumph's description as "Hylomar". If you search on the internet for T4000625, you'll see many Triumph service centers selling that part number with cylinder sleeves for all of our bikes. Also, this forum (TigerTriple) has a long history with "Hylomar" and after reading Hylomar's sales propaganda, Hylomar brand was developed by Rolls Royce for their jet engines. Hylomar is rated to 250°C. I cannot find any supporting information on TB1215 other than it is silicon based. The Three Bond website is not very forth coming on details. :icon_rolleyes: Triumph may use the TB1215 as an equal or alternative sealer but, I could not find a Triumph part number for TB1215. That does not mean one does not exist, someone else closer to Triumph might be able to find it.

BTW, my Hanes book doesn't mention sealing the sleeves and my Triumph service manual says "Apply silicone sealer to the liner to crankcase mating face." The manual says nothing about what type to use...  :icon_mad:

I have a Triumph manual dated 06/99 and it says blue Hylomar for the cylinder sleeves.

When I did the top end on my Steamer I bought new Triumph grudgeon pins and circlips for reassembly as they were cheap in the general scheme of things and I had read it was recommended to replace them.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot