News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Calling 800XC / 800XCX Owners

Started by Bixxer Bob, June 28, 2016, 09:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Be interesting to see what you think of both BB. But that new Sport in black does look pretty nice...........Good job Ive spunked me deposit on a Rukka Suit :icon_biggrin:
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

If I was 10 yrs younger it would be the 1050 no question; it's a handsome bike. But in practical terms, the Tex is two grand cheaper, was dearer to start with, has shaft drive and (like Chris says) when it comes to hauling me, Jackie and her hair dryer somewhere warm and in comfort, I think the Tex will win.

Added to that the Sport is top end of my budget and will still need a significant wedge to sort the total lack of carrier and a top box at the very least.  And I think a top box would ruin the looks. 

I've just about convinced myself I think.  The Sport is pretty and handles, but the Tex is going to be better for the long haul.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Yeah, got to admit that the Explorer probably does have the edge for long distance comfort 2 up, and with 140bhp ( New Map) should show a clean pair of heels to any of the Germanic Boxers.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

The only thing that over rides my other halfs input is the size of the front wheel sorry for the broken record but it'll be a cold day hell before I ever use a 19" front. :icon_sad: it's been the best part of the last 14 years of Tiger ownership not having to put with one :icon_biggrin:

nickjtc

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 28, 2016, 10:46:28 AM
.... it'll be a cold day hell before I ever use a 19" front. :icon_sad: it's been the best part of the last 14 years of Tiger ownership not having to put with one :icon_biggrin:

A bit of size envy there, Chris???  :ImaPoser
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

BONANZA

I got my Explorer 3 years ago now and still grin like an idiot when I open it up :icon_biggrin: It is deceptively fast after coming from my Girly as I found out last month when I was pulled over by an unmarked cop bike :icon_redface: I slowed down a lot after being told to act your f***ing age and stop being such a knob. As for long distances Iv,e rever ridden a more relaxing bike. 
05 Tiger
95 Speed Triple

metalguru

OK up to speed now.
The TEX for my use is just right, however just like me it had to be tailored to fit.
I found it was a tad tall, so fitted -50mm doglegs and dropped the forks slightly. ROX risers pulled the bars back and up but it still wasn't right.
One night the rear shock lost all its' damping?? An email to Wilbers and a unit built for my weight, riding style and use. During the two weeks it took to be delivered the fork seal had started to weep so replaced with SKF seals. The forks are Kayaba 46mm which have been used by the motocross guys for years. The seals are dear but worth it. While I had the forks out I fiddled with the compression damping as it was harsh, stripping the damper tube, I removed a couple of shims to see if it would remedy the problem. Upside down forks are very easy to work on.
Getting the bike back together the ride quality went from the std plank to plush. Although not a power ranger I can still keep good pace with them round the bendy bits, especially with the good branded fuel it makes the acceleration rather lively.
The his and that heated seats are a godsend in chilly weather along with the shielded heated grips makes cold weather riding warm.Even Summer nights can be chilly. The seats take about 5k to get 'comfy', combine this with the modified suspension my back does not complain after 8hrs in the saddle.
Using the Batzen screen adjusters I have fitted a bikini screen to the std mounts and the std screen to the adjusters. At more than legal speeds I can still smoke a fag with no turbulance or buffeting.
It does not go off road so Pilot road 4 tyres are more brave than I am in the wet.
On reflection I would have got the Wilbers unit fitted with the optional remote preload to make things easier when required. Could still be fitted sometime.

Tried the latest rendition and found all the new electronics for me are a waste but the new colours are nice, apart from the cruise I use very little else of the info available. Waiting to disembark to Europe just change to metric and that's about it. Even the adjustable suspension was not as nice as mine.

Of interest when TEX went for a week jolly to the big T the dealer lent me a Tiger Sport. In conclusion it is a brilliant fun bike to ride, looks great and would be in the equation if I had some more space! For two up distance with luggage the TEX wins hands down.

Apart from service work there is no need to try and unlock the ECU as the fueling is spot on. Software is required for TB balance and the other minor resets.

For those interested the top speed is capped at 137mph.

Would I buy another?........Oh YES.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

Cheers Nige.  the one I'm trying tomorrow is a 2013 plate although claimed to be a 2014 model.  I know not what toys it has in the way of ABS, cruise, maps etc, I'll find out tomorrow.  It has panniers though which is a good start and  I have a Givi top plate for my top box so I don't forsee any issues.

I know very little about setting up suspension so, assuming I buy it, I might just take it across to Chris for some help in that area.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

threepot

Metaguru..interesting write up. I would consider a Tex if I was looking for something newer? A friend bought one last year. He's mostly had Jap sports,and he reckons its the best bike he's had. He let a friend have a go,and he went out and bought one! I went for a ride with them recently,and couldn't keep up with them. When you said your bike went back to Triumph,was that for the cam bucket mod? I think some early bikes suffered a problem??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Timbox2

I have heard quite a few people complain about the suspension on the Tex, especially the front. John at Revs Birmingham has done a shed load of them.
2016 Tiger Sport

metalguru

If it makes things easier the rear shock will come to pieces to adjust the damper pack but the spring rate is all wrong. It is oversprung to excess.
Your one should come with the same as mine, there is enough to fiddle with but I just leave it as is, it all works fine ie, ABS, Traction Control.
The traction control will let you pull wheelies either accidentally or intentional then let you down gently as if don't be a naughty boy. It is switchable.
Fly by wire throttle takes some getting used to as the harsh ride accentuates the light throttle and can make for a similar ride to surging. (Can't get away from it). It can be lessened with damper grease, used for rotary controls, but only a smear required.
I made some frames to take textile panniers as the std plastic are too cumbersome for me.
Top box plate is good as bike handles better without the top box, tends to catch side winds.

Enjoy the ride mate BUT set the suspension to minimum preload and damping, as we are similar build I would recommend or your ride will be spoilt.   

Threepot
Yes it went for all the recalls, ECU, sidestand bolt, cylinder head. I am sure it returned with another transmission too as it felt different and the lube stickers had reappeared on the new clutch case.
TBH Triumph have been superb with their service.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

threepot

Yes,I've read that bikes came back from the factory better than they went in! New exhausts or silencers,panels etc. Triumph had to step up to the mark on that one! Problem was Chinese made or machined parts??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Well, it's done.  The Tex is awesome  :wheel  and there's loads of room board for both of us.  My only concerns on the test ride were that it's not quite as mooth as I was expecting.  And that engine is also noisy but not in a "there's something wrong with this" way.  Also, the Metzler Tourances seem to be noisy too, especially the front where you can here the block pattern rumbling away.

Getting a set of crash bars fitted so I pick it up Monday night.

Now then, anybody want to buy  Girly????

It's already on Gumtree so hopefully will be gone soon.

Timbox2

Enjoy mate, I couldnt wait to get the Tourances off my Girly, I went with Anakee 3's.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

The times they are a changing. :icon_wink: