News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear shock for 885i '99. Stock vs tuning

Started by Vampyre, August 29, 2016, 02:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

So long as you have some idea of the weight you are carrying Wilbers will build you a shock no problem.

Spud Murphy

fitted Wilbers alround on my 955 and am stunned at the difference it has made to the bike, like riding a new one  :thumbsup

cheers Spud  :thumbsup
WTF am I doing ?

Vampyre

well, I decided to try a cheap way first. There is a company in my city that produces custom springs, so I dismounted it from the shock and handed it to them.  I'm thinking to ask for 30-40% of additional hardness.

50 Eur against 1000, seems a great deal for me :mut
885i T709 1999

thebiglad

Quote from: Vampyre on September 09, 2016, 12:31:15 PM
well, I decided to try a cheap way first. There is a company in my city that produces custom springs, so I dismounted it from the shock and handed it to them.  I'm thinking to ask for 30-40% of additional hardness.

50 Eur against 1000, seems a great deal for me :mut

Hi Vampyre, got to be worth a try, doesn't it??? Hope it works out for you, do let us know the outcome, please?
2006 Tiger 955i

Vampyre

Quote from: thebiglad on September 09, 2016, 12:38:50 PM
Hi Vampyre, got to be worth a try, doesn't it??? Hope it works out for you, do let us know the outcome, please?
No problem:)

I actually have 2 original shocks, both with a dead spring so I'm going to choose one with a better state and install new spring to it. And we will see.
885i T709 1999

Vampyre

UPDATE:
Well, guys, it seems that cheap way works. A week ago I got my new spring, manufactured for me for 80 USD for 2(!) springs (they produce springs only from 2 as they more car oriented), 30% more harder than stock with increased thickness of the spring but reduced coil count.
The bike became obviously harder and higher. Can't wait to get my luggage on and check it more properly, but 0 celsium outside:(

885i T709 1999

Chris Canning

I have changed the spring on my Ohlins(twice) but it's all about controlling that spring and unless you have upgraded your damping to control it then what you end up with what is on par with a kids pogo stick.

Our Ohlins went belly up in Spain a couple of years ago and we rode from Zaragoza to Bilbao just on the spring with zero damping which on the motorway was OK,but any attempt to ride at a decent pace on a normal road was just dangerous because I never knew what the shock was going to do.

But if money is the priority it should work of sorts just be very carefull because when the shock warms up the spring will be running the show instead of the damping.