News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cylinder hone, 06 955i

Started by SteveFord, October 24, 2016, 11:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveFord

Triumph customer service was not exactly much help: they asked for VINs on the 02 RS, 06 Tiger and 06 ST and then that was the end of it.

Chris Canning

The problem being as I encountered recently the 955 is just so 'Old Hat' they(triumph) haven't built a 955 for over 10 years and most folk you encounter either don't know because the bike is so old or they have forgotten.

The only thing I have used a dealer for in 6/7 years is having a map blown in and they don't even know how to do that now.

Back on track I'd guess all the dipsticks for the Tiger are the same,it's just the oil quantity because of the difference in engine cases.

SteveFord

I switched to semi-synthetic today so we'll see if Mobil 1 was just too slippery.
I had Guzzis which would just drink Mobil 1 and were fine with conventional oil so maybe that's the case with this Tiger.
That would be nice.

SteveFord

With the semi synthetic 10W40 oil consumption is 4oz/1500 miles which isn't too horrible.

I've switched my Sprints to Mobil 1 15W50 so maybe that's what this Tiger wants as well?

Bixxer Bob

It was Triumph's oil of choice in the days when these bikes were made. Fully Synth though, not semi.

I find it hard to understand what difference it makes, but my Blackbird doesn't like fuly synth, it's much smooter on semi.  Go figure...
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

SteveFord

A fellow here mentioned that his 955 had oily smelling smoke coming out of the exhaust when he loaded the TOR tune and it went away when he reverted to the stock settings.
For the heck of it I just reloaded the stock tune and went with Mobil 1 15W50.
The bike has a Staintune canister but everything else is stock.  I'll know more after this weekend.
It runs rougher down low with the stock tune and the idle rhythm changed but it pulls fine with no popping.

The oil consumption started when I put in the TOR tune so maybe that's the culprit.  I wouldn't think so but I've been wrong before. 
I'll report back after 1000 miles which should be enough to tell what's going on.

SteveFord

It ran too cruddy with the stock tune so I reverted to the TOR tune and Mobil 1 15/50. 
Oil consumption has been virtually nil so 15/50 is what it'll get.

Bixxer Bob

Glad it's sorted and good to know for reference  :icon_lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...