News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anyone swap spoke rim for cast rim?

Started by haggis95, November 10, 2016, 11:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haggis95

I've bent the rim on my 2005 Tiger - going a bit fast off road.

I wold like to put a spoked wheel from an earlier model on - or even the 21" wheel from the T800.

Is it possible to do a straight swap cast to spoked wheel?

Is it even possible to swap in the 21" wheel from the T800?
There's a Tiger in my garage

Dyn Blin

Quote from: haggis95 on November 10, 2016, 11:20:41 PM
I've bent the rim on my 2005 Tiger - going a bit fast off road.

I wold like to put a spoked wheel from an earlier model on - or even the 21" wheel from the T800.

Is it possible to do a straight swap cast to spoked wheel?

Is it even possible to swap in the 21" wheel from the T800?

I can't speak to the earlier models, but a 2001-2004 spoked wheel set will swap straight across to the cast wheel '05-'06 as far as wheel size, axle, cush drive and sprocket (edit- & spacers). 

If you have a complete set up from a 01-04 they will swap straight across

If you are building a wheel set from just the rims to swap, parts are interchangeable up to the discs:  Although they have different part number on the fiche, rear disc will swap from your cast wheel to spoked with same bolt pattern and size.  However, front discs have a different bolt  pattern.

Spoked front disc (x2): T2023310 (6 bolt)
Cast front disc (x2): T2023330 (5 bolt)

(edits for clarity and part #'s)
This is why we can't have nice things.

haggis95

There's a Tiger in my garage

Chris Canning

Quote from: Dyn Blin on November 11, 2016, 12:30:57 AM
I can't speak to the earlier models, but a 2001-2004 spoked wheel set will swap straight across to the cast wheel '05-'06 as far as wheel size, axle, cush drive and sprocket (edit- & spacers). 

If you have a complete set up from a 01-04 they will swap straight across

If you are building a wheel set from just the rims to swap, parts are interchangeable up to the discs:  Although they have different part number on the fiche, rear disc will swap from your cast wheel to spoked with same bolt pattern and size.  However, front discs have a different bolt  pattern.

Spoked front disc (x2): T2023310 (6 bolt)
Cast front disc (x2): T2023330 (5 bolt)

(edits for clarity and part #'s)

Have you actually done that,I remember seeing 885i with mag wheels but it did have the latter arm in didn't realise the wire and mag can be a straight swap.

Dyn Blin

Cheers Chis. 

Yes I have.  I currently swap a set from an '02 to my '05 when the weather or destination make it prudent (or fun).  Makes it nice not to have to spoon a set of knobbies on the cast the day before departure.  It took me a bit to regain the muscle memory of using a tube, but that worked out with a pint at my side.

You mention an 885.  I can't speak to the 99-00 wheels as I've never looked at them in person with the idea of a swap, nor compared part numbers.  I can only verify the 01-06 interchangeability on the 955i models.

edit- looking at the specs of the 99-00, they seem to match in wheel and disc, but again, I haven't tracked part #'s or eyeballed bolt patterns

This is why we can't have nice things.

Chris Canning

The wheels from 99 to 04 are all the same but facinating to see the rear is interchangeable can imagine there might be a rush on for mag wheels.