News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

132 main jet.

Started by bemusedinsojo, December 09, 2016, 10:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KamikazeKunze

OK.....here are the results.

About 60hp (45kw) at the rear wheel and 48lbs (65nm) of torque at 5280ft (1610m) in elevation.

No change to pilot jets.
Apparently there was a jet kit in it already and (fuzzy memory) turned an adjuster from 3 to 4 clicks, I hope that makes sense.
They used 128 mains and installed foam pod filters.

Not sure if this is a tiger thing but it's really cold blooded. Once it's warm she runs, boy does she run.

Also they installed a YSS Rear shock and rebuilt the front forks with stiffer springs and thicker oil......AWESOME now!

Pics to come....apparently I need to resize them to post. :(

Sin_Tiger

You might not like this post so I'd better explain  :augie

I'm not posting this as a "Mine's bigger than yours", to piss you off or depress you in any way but more as a guide, becasue I want everyones Steamer to run like a raped ape, so bear with me.

The below was done on my 96 after a bit of a rebuild, mainly new inlet valves, timing chain etc. but is totally stock. When I got it there was a "Dynojet kit" installed (installed by a racing specilist I was informed  :icon_rolleyes:) , it more or less wouldn't get out of bed until it saw over 3500 rpm but then it went and did a good impersonation of trying to suck the tank inside out in the process. The carbs and airbox were returned completely to stock with nothing more than a K&N intake filter and a set of low mileage stock cans. It had around 85k miles on the clock when this run was done. I've never run it in any mountains above 1000m and it's never felt lacking or reluctant even loaded up, I'm sure there will be some effect but just how much I'm not in a position to speculate.

If it's better than it was before, then it's progress and you're heading the right way  :thumbsup and with the new suspension you'll be able to exploit what you have a lot more  :wheel
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

KamikazeKunze

Sin_Tiger,

Not at all offended. If anything, if mine doesn't perform like I want I can take this information to my shop and we can try again. I kept my stock air box and K&N, so if we head that way I'm not throwing more $$ out the window.

This old girl has had a rough life. She's been run hard and put away wet most if it. So now that she has someone to respect her she'll get taken care of better. :)

Thanks again for the input!  :wheel

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: KamikazeKunze on December 30, 2016, 09:31:23 PM
Sin_Tiger,

Not at all offended. If anything, if mine doesn't perform like I want I can take this information to my shop and we can try again. I kept my stock air box and K&N, so if we head that way I'm not throwing more $$ out the window.

Thanks again for the input!  :wheel

This article explains a little bit of why the higher altitude affects performance:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/25/technical-update-effect-of-altitude-on-engine-performance-project-156-at-pikes-peak-hill-climb-race

KamikazeKunze

Good Read!

Thanks Bemusedinsojo

bemusedinsojo

I know that Denver is at 5200 feet but getting there from SLC will get up to over 12000 feet and altitude plays hell on carbed vehicles. That may be the why of lower horses. Not to spit in the face of those who have slaved to get their Steamer to run well. Just high altitude woes.

KamikazeKunze

I hear ya, my son and his grandpa are usually riding in the hills between 9,000 and 11,000ft and I plan on joining them this summer.
The guys at my shop said I'm a little lean now but once up there I should be good. I'll definitely report back on how she does........or maybe I'll take a run at Pikes Peak as well.  :5moped

fishnbiker

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on December 14, 2016, 06:35:04 PM
That is the coolest airbox mod I've seen so far. Is it fastened to the tank? I'm thinking about pods, much to most evidence suggesting otherwise.

My Steamer has the Keihins. You indicted a process of trial and error to find the best combination. In my mind that means having a few main and pilot jets on hand to try. Correct? It is not obvious to me, so sorry if it is a dumb question. Which sizes should I try?

It is fastened via a bracket to the rearmost ignition Coil mount. I had to attach 2 more pegs to move the coils forward for clearance.

The Keihin jets were determined by trial & error. The method is to find the minimum size that allows full throttle at full revs. Anything larger is wasted fuel. Anything less strangles the engine at full load. All this depends on inlet & exhaust specs.

My airbox inflow surface area is about 20% larger than stock, passing more air/fuel mix. A free flowing muffler is also part of the equation. Mine is a GSXR titanium can behind a Girly 3 into 1 header (put on to lose 18lbs over the stock 3 into 2 boat anchors).

Without the benefit of a dyno test, trial & error is the method. It took me about 3 tries to get it right for my system.

Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE