News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Avon Tyres (More Product Testing)

Started by Timbox2, January 25, 2017, 08:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

I had intended to fit a full on road tyre on my next set, but as always things dont always go to plan when you leave it till the last minute.
The Anakee 3's havent been bad really but after quite a few , "Moments", with them recently they had to go, profiles gone anyway and theyve done 6k miles which aint bad really. Ive got a weeks leave from Monday so desperately wanted something in time for then. I happened to have a job down Carmarthen yesterday which means going past the door of M & P so I popped in to see what they had. No Michelin PR4 or Conti Trail Attacks, but they did have the Avon Trail Riders at £168 a pair, which is £30 less than any of the European on line bods and quite a few over on the UK GS'ers site seem to love em, many saying better wet grip on Tarmac than a PR4( Seems unlikely) but  very good on muddy back lanes which is probably what I will be finding lots of next week, they also say that they dont feel like a normal block tread tyre at all. Oh, and I didnt realise Avons are still made right here in Blighty, good thing or bad, we shall see, I'll let you know next week. Latest forecast suggests I may be testing wet weather grip sooner rather than later, at least it should clean the roads.

2016 Tiger Sport

John Stenhouse

Their Azaros were excellent on my Girl, I changed to the full road spec for this set and went with Storms, they've been very good too. Recommended
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

HockleyBoy

Be interested to hear how you get on with them, changed over to PR4s a week or so back myself and after 400 miles or so I am very impressed. Like you I changed from Anakee 3s which have been great tyres in all weathers for me but I wanted to try something different this time.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Timbox2

Warming them up before heading up the garage :icon_biggrin:

PS: Dont tell the missus :augie

2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Picked a right day for my first ride on the new tyres, misty, drizzly shite. I would have actually preferred full on rain. Now, new tyres always feel a bit weird to start with, but normally in a good way. Its very possible that after my last ride on the old tyres and loosing traction on a couple of occasions I was being extra careful, maybe even a bit too cautious and tensing up, but for the first 20 miles or so they felt really jittery, and the turn in reminded me of Dunlop Roadsmarts, a bit scary the first time. But anyway I persisted and once Id got past Abergavenny and then started the climb back up the mountain my confidence in them started to increase and yes, the wet weather grip seems very good, but in all I only did about 60 miles on them today so still early days. Wednesday the plan is to try a bit further afield, maybe Aberystwyth, couple of hundred miles return and I should have a better idea, though the forecast hints at it still being a wetish test day by the looks of things. At least the Rukka suit is earning its keep :thumbsup
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Don't know about the tyres but Wed is going to be a real test for the suit  :icon_cry:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 31, 2017, 11:16:44 AM
Meant Tues  :icon_rolleyes:

Na, today is final fettle day, realised yesterday that my Hooter aint hooting when a dick head in a Corsa tried to take me out. One of the wires to said hooter has come adrift from the lucar connector so electrical tool box out today. Yeah, tomorrow aint looking too bad at moment and as long as Im away from the coast by 2pm ish should miss the worse.
2016 Tiger Sport