News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Tiger Sport Review

Started by Timbox2, March 15, 2017, 06:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

OK, so finally managed to get a test ride down at Fowlers today, phoned em at 9 as I got into Bristol and was out on the bike at 9:30, pretty good really.

Nice looking bike, though I prefer the Black.

I was expecting it to feel different, but my God. Dunno how but if feels about 20Kg lighter than my Girly, which it isnt, but the weight has moved down thats for sure. Feet flat on floor, and even pushing it around is so much easier, steering lock is also very good.

Had a few probs at first finding the gear lever but after 20 minutes it was second nature, and though at first worried about comfort not a problem at all, seat is great and although legs are definately more tucked up I didnt get any twinges for the 1.5 hours I was out, a longer day may result in a few aches as I get used to it but cant see it being a biggy. Screen is actually very good as although more air hits me its pretty clean, more so in the lower position.

A bit of Underseat storage is back, as well as a USB charging point, very handy for my smart phone which eats the battery.

Jeez, Brakes are powerful, two finger stoppies if thats your bag. Also forgotten how much difference a 17" wheel makes on the road

But the best bit is again the engine, combined with the new Fly By Wire, awesome.  126BHP on paper doesnt look much more, but it sure feels it, and the fueling is perfect. 6th Gear from 40 wind it on and it just pulls cleanly all the way to, Go To Jail.

So, was I impressed? Yep, Ive put down a deposit and ordered one, and now the worst bit, Triumph have sold out of Black bikes and Ive got to wait till end of May for delivery.

The 955 has been a great bike, and will continue to be, but times have moved on and I do struggle with the top heavy weight sometimes, especially moving around the garage.

Im actually chuffed that Triumph have produced a bike that has got me quite excited again, and apparently the Sport is one of the few bikes fully built at Hinkley, proper Brit.

Nice fully sorted 955 up for sale soon, watch this space.

2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

:wings  :wheel congratulations  :party

Watch the speedo, they are deceptively quick  :bad
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 15, 2017, 08:06:22 PM
:wings  :wheel congratulations  :party

Watch the speedo, they are deceptively quick  :bad

Found that out already, hit 3 figures, albeit very briefly, but alarmingly quickly.

Oh, and the clutch lever, it feels like a hydraulic its that light.
2016 Tiger Sport

threepot

Cracking looking bike. If I was changing,think that would be top of my list?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

Good for you! I think you made the right decision on the colour. Worth the wait. :rrr
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Chris Canning

Quite funny talking to Tim after his ride being confronted with modern day 21st century does come as a bit of a shock  :icon_lol:

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 16, 2017, 05:08:17 PM
Quite funny talking to Tim after his ride being confronted with modern day 21st century does come as a bit of a shock  :icon_lol:

Your not wrong there mate
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

I had one of those "Customer Satisfaction Surveys" a while after buying my Roadie. What did I mark them down on?

1 - Poor lighting with the H7 / H9 arrangement.
2 - Poor air flow / turbulence.
3 - High seating, particularly for the pillion.

You can imagine my surprise when the "Sport" appeared the next model year with all those points addressed (I'm under no illusions that I was alone in my comments) and with more power and torque. The latest version is pretty refined and a lot better looking in my eyes.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

I was just taken aback at the availability or lack of.

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 16, 2017, 10:05:41 PM
I had one of those "Customer Satisfaction Surveys" a while after buying my Roadie. What did I mark them down on?

1 - Poor lighting with the H7 / H9 arrangement.
2 - Poor air flow / turbulence.
3 - High seating, particularly for the pillion.

You can imagine my surprise when the "Sport" appeared the next model year with all those points addressed (I'm under no illusions that I was alone in my comments) and with more power and torque. The latest version is pretty refined and a lot better looking in my eyes.

Some are saying the lighting, although improved, is still not great, we shall see, or not :ImaPoser
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Quote from: Nick Calne on March 16, 2017, 09:22:50 AM
Good for you! I think you made the right decision on the colour. Worth the wait. :rrr

What decision, its changed 3 times today already
2016 Tiger Sport

Nick Calne

I know exactly what you are going through.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Timbox2

Quote from: Nick Calne on March 19, 2017, 10:09:42 PM
I know exactly what you are going through.

"Delaying Gratification", has never been one of my strong traits :icon_lol:

But moaning at Triumph and the Dealer may have got somewhere, theyve come back today with a late April delivery, so thats a month nearer already :icon_biggrin:
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 16, 2017, 05:08:17 PM

4k miles on from buying the Explorer I'm still finding the same every time I go out.  I just love that bike.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

Resurrecting an old thread  :icon_lol:

Tim,

Nearly two years on, how is the Sport? any issues?

Interested as I am thinking of replacing the Girly and I am considering the Sport
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport