News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stock vs Wilbers shock.

Started by Timbox2, April 07, 2017, 10:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Thought I'd put this up as Its probably rare that such a comparison can be made these days.

As some of you know I fitted a Wilbers custom built shock to my Girly last year and ran it for about 9000 miles until I came to sell it. I knew it was good, but going from a totally knackered old Hagon anything would have been better.  I happened to buy a brand new Triumph shock late last year very cheap and put that on the bike a week before I sold it. I rode the bike round the block and although I could tell it was different It felt pretty good, as a new shock probably should.

Last Friday I took the Girly out for what would be my final ride, up through the Forest of Dean and back and thats when the difference really hit me. I ride that road quite a lot and of course rode the bike how I normally do, or tried to anyway. In the end I had to really back off and lower my speed as I was running wide, on one occasion dangerously.
Triumph's preload setting for a solo rider is 2 on the adjuster, I actually had it on 3.5, and ok when I wound it to max it was better but downside was a really jarring ride.

I dont consider myself a particularly aggressive or fast rider but it certainly proved to me what decent suspension can do for a bike, and heres the rub........

Tomorrow I collect my new Sport and having ridden the demo I thought the suspension was pretty well sorted, so what will a Wilbers do for this one........... again I blame that Christopher Canning chap for ruining me :icon_lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

It's an addiction all right   :icon_rolleyes: all I've got to do know is cough up a grand for the rear shock on my XR cuz I can't handle riding around on the stocker  :icon_evil: