News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Reprogramming the ECU ?

Started by russ_fae_fyvie, June 22, 2005, 10:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ_fae_fyvie

Have I seen somewhere on here, something about changing the tuniging of the Tiger by reprogramming the ECU ?

If so any ideas on what can be achieved ?

thanks

BykBoy

You can buy TuneBoy software to reprogram the ECU here:

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/BuyNow/BuyNow.html

Or you can get a Power Commander from DynoJet here:

http://www.powercommander.com/

In both cases you can screw up badley and end up worse off then when you started...  #-o

My guess is that you will not see much improvement unless you use a dynometer and a gas/air temp analyzer. You are probably better off taking the cat to a professional tuner and letting them do thier thing.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

ArizonaKid

Any Triumph shop (and probably others who have the equipment and know how) can download any number of "tunes" (fuel injection maps) into the triumph's reprogrammable ECU, depending on a number of factors such as after market exhaust systems, etc, etc. This is one of the benefits of Triumph's approach to electronically controlled fuel injection. Many other manufacturers (BMW for example) require replacement of the chip itself (ECU can't be reprogrammed) and/or a device such as a PowerCommander.  This does require some special knowledge, skills and equipment to do a thorouogh job of it and probably isn't something you would want to attempt yourself, unless, of course you have the knowledge, skills and equipment.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

NortonCharlie

I've got the Tuneboy and Tune-edit software and loaded a tune that someone else tweaked for my Tiger with the off road exhaust.  I am pretty happy with it.  I definately have better low-mid range torque and the flat spots at 3200 and 7200 RPM are gone.  I have been getting a little better gas milage also.  I think the tune could still use a little tweaking but I don't have free access to a dyno so really don't plan on doing mich to it.  The nice thing about the Tuneboy is that you can tweak your idle trim and 0 throttle position and get rid of the low RPM surging problem some people complain about.

All said and done the Triumph tunes are pretty good but they are forced to build in a couple flat spots to get by the EPA.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando