News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Off-road/Trail capabilities of the Tiger

Started by Kill Switch, June 26, 2005, 07:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kill Switch

Hello guys.  I would like to solicit opinions regarding the Tiger's off-road/trail capabilities...includung the newer bikes.  The info on the web is scarce and generally not favorable so I would like to hear from those that have real direct experience.  While I have limited off-road experience, and very little with the Tiger, and since I have volunteered the Tiger's services for our county search and rescue team (they are keenly interested) your comments would be most welcome.  In the least I can deliver supplies in the field, and at the most I can..........please advise.

Thanks much for your comments.

barjan

Some are far more experienced than others (I am not so experienced), but it handles okay as long as the ground isn't too soft.

But in this case it's more the drivers capacity then the bikes I guess. When the going gets tough, the tough keep going, others fail.

I want to raise the handelbars a bit next time I would go off road. I find the position on the bike too much bent over (sounds strange, is this remotely correct english?) The balance is too much on the front that way. (I'm 1,90 m tall).

Sasquatch

The Tiger is completely capable off road in the right hands.  Within it's bounds, of course.  On rough logging roads it hadles remarkably well.  You can brows through all my smugmug galleries for ride photos.

Go here: http://sasquatch.smugmug.com/Other

Patrick

No. You can't take the Tiger offroad, because it is too heavy.

And bumblebees cant't fly for beeing too heavy, either.

Somewhere I read something like this:

in the 1930ies and 1940ies there weren't many tarmac roads in the US. Mostly there were roads with sand, mud (depending on the wheather), gravel or nor roads at all. But people rode Motorcycles. So... has an up-to-date Tiger more or less offroad capability than, lets say a 1932 Harley Davidson?

It depens, what places you are willing to get the Tiger. The limits of this bike are probably wider than yours. (OK! It's not an DRZ 400, but I hope you got the message.)

Have fun!

Patrick

noivson

Well the thing is big. Wide single track it'll be fine. OK in the gravel also.

Sand washes and 4"-6" mud is a no-go. Front fender is too close to the tire. Cakes in very badly. The gearing is road oriented so that's a  factor but easily fixed.
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

Sasquatch

I got into alot of mud last weekend on a pretty gnarly side hill single track that I really had no busness being on with the Tiger.  The Tiger hates mud.  Never had fender issues as I raised mine over an inch, but man was it spooky.

BigDave

The Tiger handles just fine off road but if you are serious, I would suggest a serious set of armour like Sasquatch has fabricated.  Oil lines, exhaust, coolent lines etc are all just waiting to get killed on a stock 955.  The "bash plate" bolted to the header is the thickeness of a tin can and really doesnt protect anything.  IMO, crash bars like Thunderbike bars are a must as well.

TigerTrax

I think your major issue is that you will find yourself in deep, soft sand....

and the Tiger may be tough to handle 'all day' in that environment.

I've ridden in central Florida and know there are some areas where it would not be a problem. But for the most part.... it would be a hand full.

Seems like an ATV, or the Honda 'Ruckus' (???), or a spry 125cc dirt bike would serve you better.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

newmanr19

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Seems like an ATV, or the Honda 'Ruckus' (???), or a spry 125cc dirt bike would serve you better.

I agree. I have actually considered helping out our local SAR in this way too; but on a much smaller, lighter bike (my KTM 640). I mean you wouldn't want to be miles away in the back country trying to aid in a rescue when all of sudden you find your in need of a rescue your self.

TigerPilot

Quote from: "Kill Switch"Hello guys.  I would like to solicit opinions regarding the Tiger's off-road/trail capabilities...includung the newer bikes.  The info on the web is scarce and generally not favorable so I would like to hear from those that have real direct experience.  While I have limited off-road experience, and very little with the Tiger, and since I have volunteered the Tiger's services for our county search and rescue team (they are keenly interested) your comments would be most welcome.  In the least I can deliver supplies in the field, and at the most I can..........please advise.

Thanks much for your comments.

If you need street/sport touring AND off road then consider the Kawasaki KLR 650 or even the 250. IF is stricktly off road use, I'd go with an ATV or if a bike is a must, then a KTM or any other "dirt bike".

The Tiger??? psss -- I know of full fearing BMW's that are much better in the dirt than these Triumph Tigers... Don't get these for that purpose!!!
Work Hard; Play Harder !!!

05 Suzuki SV1000

04 BMW K1200 GT

04 Kawasaki KLR 650

02 Triumph Tiger

Sasquatch

Quote from: "TigerPilot"The Tiger??? psss -- I know of full fearing BMW's that are much better in the dirt than these Triumph Tigers... Don't get these for that purpose!!!

I hope you are just joking.  The Tiger is great in the dirt!

Foxy

Quote from: "Sasquatch"
Quote from: "TigerPilot"The Tiger??? psss -- I know of full fearing BMW's that are much better in the dirt than these Triumph Tigers... Don't get these for that purpose!!!

I hope you are just joking.  The Tiger is great in the dirt!

Hopefully like he's joking when he calls a KLR a sports tourer.

newmanr19

I think TigerPilot is toying with us; maybe he's a BMW mole planted here to spread rumors and mistruths about our beloved Tigers  :shock:

Kill Switch

I have to tell you fellas that the Tiger performs superbly in all the rain down here in Florida with the Dunlop tires.  I am taking her out in some serious dirt and muck this weekend to see how she does.  I will let you know.  Suspect she will do well.  One thing, being big enough to muscle the bike helps much.

BykBoy

The Tiger is not a dirt bike. However, it can be ridden in the dirt, sand, mud, gravel, or any other terrain you are willing to try. But that is the key, you must be willing to try.

What I'm trying to say is: you should be ready to handle anything the path throws at you if you take the big cat off paved roads. By that I mean: falling, sliding, getting wet, getting dirty, braking foot pegs, hitting shins on foot pegs, bruises, scratches, lifting a +500 lbs bike, fixing flats, etc... All these are part of riding in the dirt. If you are not willing to put up with this kind of abuse, find yourself a nice stretch of pavement.

I don't think you need too much experience to ride it on dirt roads, you just have to be in the right mind set before you do.

The bike can take much more then you can. And it's bigger, heavier, and stronger then you. Keep that in mind and you will do  fine on any road.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE