News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Are theses the recall fuel connectors ??

Started by Bigyam, August 07, 2017, 01:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigyam

Hi, I'm new  here so please bear with me if this has been asked before !
Are these the new metal type fuel connectors ?they look metal definitely not white plastic, although the female type are still plastic, and white ! will this matter ? is it just the male connectors that need changing ?
Also there seems to be two spare plugs on the bike one up near the airbox just behind the head (3pin) see pic 5. and one above the starter motor pic 4 any clues as to what these are ??
thanks in advance Nige.

Timbox2

Firstly the fuel connectors:  Yes you have the recall males, Triumph some how got away with not recalling the females, as they also fail with alarming regulatory, you need to swap them for metal ones, do a search in the Girly section, plenty of info, they can be got from a couple of places, Tom Parker is one, RS Components another.

The electrical plugs: Do they look as though they would fit together as a pair?  Ive looked over my pictures that I took when I had my Girlies and as fair as I can tell that loom thats above your starter should actually be zip tied to the fuel rail and there is a plug that looks like yours up there, but Ive no idea what it feeds. Is anything not working?
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

There's all the info you will ever need and some in the 'How too' including getting the dam thing out when they snap off when you trying to unscrew them.

Thinking about it if you can find an RS components locally it will save you a fortune in postage that Tom Parker is notorious for.

Re the electrical connections god knows,to start with I thought it the Sas mod but the connector is coming from the wrong place the other assuming its on the right side is it the fuel sender wire??

Bigyam

The gauge and low fuel lights work OK as does everything else I will have another look to see if they connect together! Though they seem too far apart.. Thanks

VABird

Quote from: Bigyam on August 07, 2017, 09:02:02 PM
The gauge and low fuel lights work OK as does everything else I will have another look to see if they connect together! Though they seem too far apart.. Thanks

If you have a schematic, look for the blue & white wires that show on the female plug and whatever color is exposed on the male connector..
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Bigyam

Hi, I've had a closer look at the two connectors and they look like they will fit together! But the cables are nowhere near long enough to allow them to meet u less the top connector has been pulled up under the tank and secured there for some reason? I won't be able to check until I take the tank off, which I'm avoiding until I have the metal female connectors in my hand, thanks for all your help

👍

PeteH

You don't need the tank off to do the connectors, also if you have an open end spanner `end on ` they should come out ok.... well mine did  :augie
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Bigyam

Hi, I meant i had to take the tank off to see if  the plug above the air box had been zip tied up . sorry for any confusion.
Also don't i have to drain the tank before removing the females ?

PeteH

Quote from: Bigyam on August 08, 2017, 11:39:00 PM
Also don't i have to drain the tank before removing the females ?
Probably best to.... You can always take off a pipe to the fuel rail, put on a drain tube into a fuel can and use the ignition prime to drain the tank...think that's how I did it  :icon_scratch:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chris Canning

If the bike is new to you I'd lift the tank as a matter of course,I've done it that many times its under a 10 minute job on a bad day.

Just make sure you have run the fuel low because otherwise with the tank being high up to start with if its got loads of fuel in its a struggle.

I had a funnel in a fuel can and tipped the tank upside down and drained most of the fuel out,lay the tank on its side because of it's shape I put a towel under it to stop it rolling around.

If your lucky(very) they'll unscrew but my money is on them shearing off mine did when I was riding the bike,if they do there are various posts on here about how to get the thread out.

But unless you really know the history of the bike I'd pull the pump out and change the fuel filter and in fairness probably easy to get the threads out if they snap off as you just have just the base plate to work with.