News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

what's best for cleaning the black engine parts?

Started by Bull, July 03, 2005, 09:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

looch

Quote from: "Bull"looch - try the st100 engine black parts cleaner - it's the best there is ...

(no smoke guarantee)

You have a Canadian source?
Looch

Bull

[quote

You have a Canadian source?[/quote]

I just looked out my can in the garage - and it's actually called S100 Engine Brightener.

I bought it from the local Harley Davidson shop near Vancouver BC.

I looked in about 6 different bike stores without success before I thought, "Who cleans their bikes more than anyone else?" - then thought .... "the Hog boys!"

If you can't find it there, let me know and I can pick one up for you and send it along (is it kosher to send aerosols by ground mail?)

cheers - Bull
\"Inconsistency is the mark of genius.\"  Emerson

obxtiger

i 2nd the st100 i had a bad oil leak soked the bike before i new it. the dealer  used simple green and pressure washed it  DONT DO IT!!!!! ruined the shine thought it was gone forever. st1oo brought it back  have to use often though atleast on my ruined finish.
beware world I\'ve now got a TIGER on the loose.

coldcanadian

Second that!! A Harley buddy gave me a can of st100 to try on the tiger. It's spooky!! I kept going out and just looking at the bike....it wasn't that shiney when it came of the showroom floor!
Take the Long Way........Make it Twisty

obxtiger

does anybody wax their tiger. what kind do yall use :?
beware world I\'ve now got a TIGER on the loose.

looch

Quote from: "Bull"I just looked out my can in the garage - and it's actually called S100 Engine Brightener.

I bought it from the local Harley Davidson shop near Vancouver BC.

I looked in about 6 different bike stores without success before I thought, "Who cleans their bikes more than anyone else?" - then thought .... "the Hog boys!"

If you can't find it there, let me know and I can pick one up for you and send it along (is it kosher to send aerosols by ground mail?)

cheers - Bull

Thanks, I'll check the local bike shops. I was hoping you'd say something like China... oops..er, I mean Canadian Tire. We tend get charged a premium at the bike shops around here.
Looch

Bob Burnett

Called at the local hog shop today and bought a can of S100.

Really good stuff perhaps a bit too shiny but a wipe over with a lint free cloth leaves it with a really nice sheen.

Bloody expensive though £8.00 GBP for what is realyy quite a small can will probably only do three applications.

Bob
2006 Black Tiger

Bling Bling If it\'s Stainless Steel Polish it, If it,s not then replace it

Bull

Quote from: "Bob Burnett"Called at the local hog shop today and bought a can of S100...

Bloody expensive though £8.00 GBP for what is realyy quite a small can will probably only do three applications.

Bob

Use it sparingly Bob - stretch it out like a Scott would - one can lasts me about three years.   :P

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "fastslug"i swear by good old wd40 - cleans, protects and gives a lasting shine on all the black bits. no need to buy anything else! :D/

I'll second that. And add some regular old silicon spray from time to time.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

doug

Metal polish, trhe type that comes in a tin with cotton wadding works well.

regards

Doug
Ride Safe

Drofsereb

Try 'Armorall protectant' It comes in either a apray, or in impegnated wipes in a dispensing tub.  I think it's really meant for plastic surfaces like car dash boards etc, but seems to work well on  metal, plastic and rubber engine components.  It also works as a tyre wall finisher.

Bull

heads up on the Armorall spray dudes ....

don't use it on your saddle.  I did once - the first time I hit my brakes I nearly slid my balls right up onto the clocks!

Sounds obvious from here - but it came as one hell of a shock for me at the time  :lol:

Drofsereb

Ah, yes - absolutely agreed about the saddle...  :shock: but then that goes for any polish I guess?

GatorTiger

Quote from: "obxtiger"does anybody wax their tiger. what kind do yall use :?

Hawaiian wax only... Or was it French? I always get the two confused...  8)
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

Jim S

I use Silkolene prep pro, it's a silcon spray, keeps its shine for a few weeks, also protects the bike from salt and water. My engine was looking a bit dull, I think it was the chemicals at the car wash I was using? So now when I clean the bike I spray all the worst bits with Autoglym bike cleaner, leave it to soak in then power wash, I finish off by spraying all bolts, moving parts, hoses, wires etc along with the engine cases with prep pro and polish the paintwork with Wurths bike polish. Keeps the bike looking tip top for a month at a time.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade