News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

batteries

Started by Spud Murphy, September 27, 2017, 10:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Interesting post but do you mean tender or charger if it's charger blimey I haven't seen one in 15 years or more for the exact reason you mentioned.

Bigfeesh

He was charging a new lithium battery on his sons Oset electric trials bike, proper big raging inferno, steel beams were bent with the heat, destroyed the whole building!
Tiptop

blacktiger

I just replaced an 11 year old Varta YTX14-BS with another one. The only reason for replacing was that after the 72000 mile service one of the terminals fell apart so that I couldn't get a decent contact. £48.57 from Tayna Batteries.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Bigfeesh on October 12, 2017, 12:28:21 AM
He was charging a new lithium battery on his sons Oset electric trials bike, proper big raging inferno, steel beams were bent with the heat, destroyed the whole building!

Lithium batteries make raging fires; you just have to see what happens if they have an internal short.    He was using the correct charger for the bike surely?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

London_Phil

Having seen what the Lithium do when they fail, and how ferociously they burn, however unlikely, I think its not for me.
Good quality modern smart chargers are very sensibly priced these days. In the UK even Toolstation, a builders store, has a Ring 4A IP65 rated unit for 32 GBP.
Accepting that batteries are consumables helps, and especially with the earlier bike sprag, a 4/5 year replacement cycle seems reasonable to me

Chris Canning

The lithium on my XT is 4 years old this month,I did buy a lithium charger for it i've Tried it once just to see how it worked not even bothered when it's stood for months during the winter.

But I do unstandard folks reluctance some have never progressed from a steamer so the 21st century is a bit of a step into the modern day  :icon_lol:

blacktiger

Quote from: Chris Canning on January 31, 2018, 03:17:12 PM
But I do unstandard folks reluctance some have never progressed from a steamer so the 21st century is a bit of a step into the modern day  :icon_lol:

Thing is, the quality of Lithium batteries is too varied at the moment and there are too many cheap shit Chinese ones out there. Even Boeing got caught with their 787 Dreamliner catching fire mid flight. I read recently that they never did get to the bottom of that and those aircraft are still flying about with shit, potentially dangerous batteries. So you'll excuse me if I stick to tried and tested Lead/Acid.

threepot

[/quote]
Are 'modern day' bikes really that much better? I've not ridden a bike that I'd swap my Steamer or Super3 for. If you want to ride at 'warp' speeds,you might have a point😉
Anyway,don't those Lithium batteries need 'waking up?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Chris Canning

I'll digress  :icon_ :icon_biggrin:

As a 16 year old and old enough to visit my grandparents without my folks and ride a motorcycle teboot I arrived and they were in the middle of a domestic because something had cost £5 now when they were young the old white £5 note was worth big bucks but they just hadn't Moved on and were stuck in a time warp and I vowed i'd Never get into the same situation.

The classic quote about wanting to ride around at warp speed couldn't be further from the truth,i've Spent a fortune on my 955 it's light years better than a stocker when I bought my X/R I expected something better maybe another 2 rungs up the ladder I got 10  :icon_eek: I nearly fell into the same trap as my grandparents,it's not about riding fast it's just about how much easier it is to ride at the same speed,but yes you do have the ability to ride at warp speed to combat all the car drivers with their 200+hp turbo diesels.

Like comparing a Steamer to 69 Boni time just moves on from pre-unit to unit from British push rod vertical twins Jap 4's and the same goes for batteries we have two friends who both run electric cars at the mo they'll go 120 miles or so and dealer said only lease because 5 years from now they'll be doing 400 miles on a charge.

Never mind the rights and wrongs pros and cons it's the way it is when it comes to progress unless you want to live in a time warp plenty do!!,.

blacktiger

You say that your bike is light years better than stock but as you never come to any meetings, no-one can tell and it's just your opinion.

Chris Canning

Oh blimey there are plenty of folk who will attest to how good the bike is they've spent enough time chasing it the fact that their not the type that camp behind pubs and pretend to be off-roaders appears to be more your problem than mine.

threepot

'Camping behind pubs'! I concur! Blacktiger(howard)Nick and myself,camping behind a pub,somewhere near lake Bala,North Wales,on our way to the tigertriple meet 2016. Pretending to be 'off roaders/adventure bike riders types'!!😉
95 Super111
96 Tiger

blacktiger

Some of us don't pretend.

Chris Canning

Yep thought so!! I rest my case.

London_Phil

Erm....BATTERY THREAD....

Not sure if Banter or otherwise, but  Attention Moderators....are we going a bit off topic here?......
I enjoy a bit of banter, but I've always admired TTriple for being primarily a resource based forum.