News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Post MotoGP trip musings

Started by Sasquatch, July 14, 2005, 06:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

I posted a mostly photo jounal of the trip over the last week from Idaho to the MotoGP at Laguna.  Now that I have had time to think about the trip I have some comments that some will find usefull.

Can a Tiger keep up with 7 sportbikes?  Yes, to a point.  The group I belong to have been riding sportbikes together since the mid 80's.  We have probably more than 30 track days each, and most of us held racing licences at one point or another.  Not exactly a squid group.  I am the first to break tradition and buy something other than a sport bike.  This last week we covered 2480 miles of the most gnarly twisted roads the west coast has to offer.  Up to about 8/10ths, the Tiger hangs well.  Beyond that I started hitting metal bits down on the road.  But keep in mind that 8/10ths was breaking enough local statutes to be thrown in jail, and did it for 5 riding days straight.  I can also tell you that the Tiger remains composed on the fat side of 120mph for over an hour.  Only in the west are there roads that allow you to do this with minimal chances of getting nabbed.

GPS with street routing is still one of my favorite gadgets on the bike.

I decided to stop in Hollister, CA after the event and pop for a Corbin.  They virtually rolled out the red carpet for me, even buying me breakfast.  They did not have one in stock but built one for me in about an Hour.  With half the trip down on the Triumph Gel seat and the other half on the Corbin, there is no comparason.  If you can get over the added height of the Corbin, it is the ONLY way to go (as well as other custom seat mfg's).  It made 600 mile days in 100+ degree temps bearable where I would have been miserable on the Gel.  It is now going up for sale on Ebay this week.

The Tiger performed without a single hiccup the entire trip, even running on some of the crappiest fuel we were forced to use.  While my buddies bikes were popping and snapping, the Tiger did not seem to care one bit.

Enough for tonight, have a good night..

newmanr19

Quote from: "Sasquatch"I posted a mostly photo jounal of the trip over the last week from Idaho to the MotoGP at Laguna.  Now that I have had time to think about the trip I have some comments that some will find usefull.

Can a Tiger keep up with 7 sportbikes?  Yes, to a point.  The group I belong to have been riding sportbikes together since the mid 80's.  We have probably more than 30 track days each, and most of us held racing licences at one point or another.  Not exactly a squid group.  I am the first to break tradition and buy something other than a sport bike.  This last week we covered 2480 miles of the most gnarly twisted roads the west coast has to offer.  Up to about 8/10ths, the Tiger hangs well.  Beyond that I started hitting metal bits down on the road.  But keep in mind that 8/10ths was breaking enough local statutes to be thrown in jail, and did it for 5 riding days straight.  I can also tell you that the Tiger remains composed on the fat side of 120mph for over an hour.  Only in the west are there roads that allow you to do this with minimal chances of getting nabbed.

GPS with street routing is still one of my favorite gadgets on the bike.

I decided to stop in Hollister, CA after the event and pop for a Corbin.  They virtually rolled out the red carpet for me, even buying me breakfast.  They did not have one in stock but built one for me in about an Hour.  With half the trip down on the Triumph Gel seat and the other half on the Corbin, there is no comparason.  If you can get over the added height of the Corbin, it is the ONLY way to go (as well as other custom seat mfg's).  It made 600 mile days in 100+ degree temps bearable where I would have been miserable on the Gel.  It is now going up for sale on Ebay this week.

The Tiger performed without a single hiccup the entire trip, even running on some of the crappiest fuel we were forced to use.  While my buddies bikes were popping and snapping, the Tiger did not seem to care one bit.

Enough for tonight, have a good night..

my buddy just got back last night too. He rode his 01 Black Tiger from Seattle area down. He said he must have spotted about 50 Tigers as there among the thousands of bikes at the event. He returned via Nevada/Black Rock Desert area and as he rode back up through the Sierras to Tahoe with a sport bike group they were quite surprised the he kept up with them with the big tall fully ladened beast. Course they had had no chance of following him once he headed off road through the Nevada desert.  :D

Who could ask for a better bike?