News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Installing a grease fitting in the lower shock bearing

Started by VABird, December 18, 2019, 02:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VABird

Acting on Ossian's inspiration regarding installing a grease fitting in the lower shock bearing (http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,16682.0.html) I decided to plunge ahead and thought I'd document this procedure. There are a couple pics missing that are too late to go back and document, but you'll get the idea.
   Ossian was spot on regarding the futility of garden variety drill bits being able to penetrate the bearing surface inside the shock's mounting "eye". Even a cobalt drill did not work. Spend the money (about $10) and get a 1/8" CARBIDE drill bit.
Plan on this being a $10 hole, because it's probable the drill will break. On the up side, that and a few hours are all the project should cost you.
PROCEDURE APPLIES TO 2006 CAST WHEEL TIGER. SECTIONS REGARDING REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION ON EARLIER VERSION WILL DIFFER. So let's begin.
1- With the shock still in the bike, mark where you'd like the fitting to be for easy access with grease gun. (no pic)
2- Remove (knock out bearing sleeve from left side) & clean shock and place in vise. Preferably use a drill press, but a bench vise will do if you have a steady drilling hand. (no pic)
3- Use a (cheaper) HSS 1/8" drill to go through the aluminum shock at your mark. Drill perpendicular to surface, but off center a bit so as not to be drilling on the casting mark on the shock (see pic #6). You'll soon hit bottom, so stop and switch to your carbide drill. Use slow drill speed. My bit shattered as soon as it broke through, but if you're fortunate enough that it doesn't, be sure you don't slam through to mar up the other surface. (no pic)
4- I stepped the hole in aluminum only up to 7/32". Since the threads in the grease fitting did not match any tap I had (maybe it's a pipe thread?) I was able to "self tap" the grease fitting into the hole. Drill size is determined by your grease fitting, so have that before you step up the hole!
5- Deburr the hole on the bearing surface, and with grease on a Q-Tip, clean out all dirt and metal shavings (see pic #2). Clean all needles thoroughly. (no pic)
6- When clean, use a drill bit (Q-Tip will leave fibers) to pre-grease the bearing surface (see pic #5). This will allow the needles to be inserted and adhere in place as you push them around the perimeter of the bearing surface.
7- When all needles have been inserted, ensure all are properly seated and insert clean and lightly greased bearing sleeve. Test the setup with a grease gun to ensure squeeze-out (see pic #7),  but being careful not to blow out the seals (see pic #8).
8- Spread some grease on the top shock mount bolt and hang the shock in place.
9- Raise or lower the bike with scissor jack (mine was chocked on a lift table) to align bearing sleeve (called "pin" in pic) and mount hole in swing arm (see pic #10). If your bike is on center stand and wheel off, then raise or lower swing arm to align. Slide the bearing sleeve in from the right, through mount hole and seals. When it hits the LH mount hole, you'll need to drive it in the rest of the way with an aluminum drift and hammer.
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

London_Phil

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

Maybe I just have a bigger crystal ball  :icon_lol: but after having had 2 885l's didn't take very long for the penny to drop that there really was another bike inside of the stock 955,too be honest If i'd Had stayed with a stick bike (suspension/19" front wheel) i'd Have sold it years ago but their really something special if folks just scratch the surface.

IMO Triumph lost the plot for years the 1200 is proof of that but the good news with Triumph's toe in the water with Moto2 and all the connections and contacts that will make ie even the new 900 is a glimpse into the future with even a different firing order the future looks very rosy  :icon_biggrin: and I await my 1300 chain driven Sport Tiger with my money in my hand. :wave

VABird

I'm not a very aggressive rider, so I've never really had a problem with the stock shock.
(Maybe just too dumb to know any better!) :m
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.

Lee337

Tempted to do this next year, so copied your post & pocs onto a word document so I can print it out while playing in the garage, hope you don't mind my using your hard work in this way.  :thumbsup
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Chris Canning

Quote from: VABird on December 19, 2019, 11:00:01 PM
I'm not a very aggressive rider, so I've never really had a problem with the stock shock.
(Maybe just too dumb to know any better!) :m

Bit like trying to have a conversation about good food and folks saying their happy going to McDonalds kind of kills any further  :icon_biggrin:

VABird

Quote from: Lee337 on December 20, 2019, 12:06:50 PM
Tempted to do this next year, so copied your post & pocs onto a word document so I can print it out while playing in the garage, hope you don't mind my using your hard work in this way.  :thumbsup

Not at all.
That's why we're all here, isn't it?

VABird

Quote from: London_Phil on December 18, 2019, 05:59:50 PM
I'm tempted to try this on the 800XC

Try Not! There is no try, only do or do not!

London_Phil

Into Star Wars Not, I am.....
I Tried to get into it, but it didn't work.

See what I did there.....lol

Ossian

Quote from: Chris Canning on December 19, 2019, 07:56:05 PM
................the new 900 is a glimpse into the future with even a different firing order the future looks very rosy................
I find this very intrigueing as from what I understand, Triumph have put a cross-plane crank in a 3 cylinder engine. Firing at 90 degree intervals (or multiples thereof) rather than 120 degrees as would seem logical. They did something similar with the twins to make them sound like Harleys to please the US market. Will the new 3 cylinder engines sound like Harleys also ?

HockleyBoy

London_Phil

I've got a 74 year old Harley, and I can tell you the triple still sounds like a bag of loose bolts at tickover, even compared to that!!