Author Topic: Red, Italian and in my garage... (Ducati 600SS)  (Read 96 times)

January 19, 2021, 11:27:04 AM on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.89%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
  • Bike model currently owned: Triumph Tiger 800 XC '12
Ok, so after creating this board, I might as well put my bike on there. Besides my Tiger 800XC I also own a Ducati 600SS. This has been going on for a while, so I am going to catch this forum up on everything that has happened so far:

A while ago, I picked up my new project:

Yes, I have picked up a nice, red, not so shiny Italian.  :bad

Long story short, the previous owner drooled over this bike when it was new. His neighbor bought it and when he was washing his scooter next to his neighbors Ducati, he promised his neighbor to buy it off him someday.  Well, that day came, years ago. So he bought it and his ex rode it sometimes. Until they split up in '10 and the Ducati was parked up. And there it sat until today. When I picked it up, it had just been sitting. The previous owner tried starting it, but the bike is leaking fuel like crazy and can't idle at all. I am guessing the carbs just need a good revision and the bike just needs a good service with setting valve clearances. So, I know what I have to do.  :icon_wink:  (But it will have to wait a bit as I will be riding the Schleck Gran Fondo in Luxembourg this weekend and am out next weekend.)

Still, I now own a red Italian bike.  :thumbsup

Triumph Tiger 800XC '12 and a 1994 Ducati 600 SuperSport. - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993

January 19, 2021, 11:28:04 AMReply #1 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.89%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl

Ok, I had some time to look under the hood of the Ducati yesterday.

The hinged tank is a nice feature. And it's pretty funny to have a bit of a stand on there as well as your hood would on your car. I can't really figure out whether I find it useful or not though. When you flip open the tank on that stand, it really is just too short to reach stuff easily. But oh well, it looks nice and it beats having to reach for bolts in impossible locations as I had to with the Tiger or the GS.

After a big fight with all kinds of parts, I was able to take out the air filter housing. (Yes, it is not just Steamers that have that problem. ;) ) Time to pull the carbs and all of a sudden you are left with a huge hole...

I had expected the carbs to be completely gummed up from sitting for 9 years. Besides that, there was fuel leaking from one of the carbs, so it needed a revision anyway. Time to take them apart. The previous owner told me it wouldn't be needed as they had been in an ultrasonic cleaner before. Alas, it was before the bike sat for nine years, so we'll see...

Obviously, it has those great screws and at the previous service, the guy fastening them had probably done that with at least 200Nm. Which meant that they were locked solidly in place. When I tried to turn them, two of them were stripped and I had to revert to serious violence to cut grooves, etc. to get them out. Any thoughts on where to get some spare screws? ;)

What is obvious, is that it is all pretty clean. Another thing that is obvious, is that the previous maintenance was done by someone on the cheap. Instead of new seals, I found lots of liquid sealing on old seals to make the thing work. Well, cleaning it is then... And find out why it was leaking fuel...

Oh, and I got some new fuel lines and a new fuel filter as those looked terrible after 9 years of sitting...
Triumph Tiger 800XC '12 and a 1994 Ducati 600 SuperSport. - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993

January 19, 2021, 11:30:11 AMReply #2 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.89%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl

Ok, some more time on the bikes today. Well, not “on” but working on them. ;) Anyway, as I was pulling the thing apart, there was more bad news.

Yep, I’ve seen less rust on pre-war cars. But my tank sure is full of it. Sitting for 9 years without being filled up has sure done some damage. So I need to dismantle the whole thing. The good thing is that I needed to do that anyway as the pump is inside the tank and the filter is connected to it. And as you can see, it definitely needs replacing. So does the filter that is on the bottom of the pump. Though it is going to be a bit of a challenge to find that. ;)

So, in wait of solving my tank problem, I started to do a bit of a puzzle. ;)

Then it was time to give the set a nice and warm bath. I have found out that putting less in, makes it cleaner. But it gave some pretty nice results.

So, after a lot of puzzling, cleaning, scraping, fiddling with seals etc. We’ve got carbs again!

January 19, 2021, 11:38:39 AMReply #3 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.89%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs1dHArhPIE[/youtube]

Well, there is news! The Ducati is alive!! Yes, I know, I have now owned it for almost a year and it has yet to turn a wheel in anger. However, I am pretty happy it is actually running now. There still is some stuff to sort, because the left carb is leaking badly, so I think the float needle isn’t shutting properly. So, I have a last bit of work left to do. But hey, at least it idles, which means it can warm up and that enables me to finally change the oil on it. (I have already done the distribution belts, the spark plugs and the airfilter.) Next up is the engine oil, the brake fluids, the fork fluids and seals and then the tires. Those are probably over 15 years old and not really safe anymore. But still I did do 400 meters just driving up and down the street when it finally ran. Without most of the bodywork and without the saddle, but I just had to ride it. ;)

January 19, 2021, 11:39:07 AMReply #4 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.89%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl

And for all of you who have been wondering... Yes, I got it to run. It was one of the float needles that was stuck, so I pulled the new to me carbs apart, cleaned the, put a new float needle in from the other set that I had that didn't work and now it is running fine. And not leaking.
It was running so nicely that I actually stuck the seat on and rode it up and down the street for a record 600 meters. And then I regretted the fact that the tires were probably on 0.5 bar (which is about 7psi) and that it does not have new brake fluids etc. But at least I rode it, sitting on the saddle and with a big smile. ;)

January 19, 2021, 11:39:33 AMReply #5 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.89%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
Ok, progress!

Or better, frustration.

Anyway, to put this in perspective, COVID-19 has hit our area hard. A lot of entrepreneurs here are dependent on tourism and that is obviously off the cards for a while. And then there are a lot of entrepreneurs that are dependent on those tourism and leisure entrepreneurs and so it all trickles down. This means there are a lot of entrepreneurs in this area that are looking for new revenue models and considering innovating their business. As that is the business I am in, that means that my days are absolutely full. Starting at 8 in the morning and with half-hour breaks for lunch and dinner often continuing into the late evenings. That, in turn, means that the Ducati (and the Tiger, and the Mini) have all been pretty much sitting where they have been for a while.

I made my way down to the garage yesterday for half an hour to start the process of loosening the bolts to get the front fork legs out. But alas. There are two bolts that seem to be very reluctant to let go of this machine.

These Allen heads are all but fully rounded. :( So I need to find a new strategy to get those out, otherwise, the wheel won't come out, which means the fork legs have nowhere to go. :(

January 19, 2021, 11:42:23 AMReply #6 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.89%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
Ok, I have to make a confession... Forgive me, motorcycling buddies, for I have sinned against the codes of wrenching... ;)

So, the Ducati was in need of new fork seals, oils, etc. I have been looking at how to do that for weeks and it kind of got in my way. I think we all know how a project can get stuck on something silly like that? I could not balance the bike on the lift I have here and I either had to build a contraption to balance it or bolt some kind of construction to the ceiling to hoist it up at the front. And so I did buy a couple of brackets, but I really couldn't see the bike hang safely from them. And that meant it has been sitting here for ages, just sitting.
The bike also needed new tires, because the old ones were at least 15 years old, but I did not check the DOT code, so it might have been more.  I never put my own tires on, as disposing of tires around here is difficult with all the environmental rules. So, I usually let a shop do it as they then dispose of the tires for free. Which meant that the wheels would have to come off the bike as well. That is when I started to put both things together, grabbed the phone, and called Dave. His price to do the forks was less than the cost of the time I have been contemplating how to do it, so he picked up the bike on Friday and the forks and tires will be done this week. He will also put the chain on, as that is easiest when the wheels are off anyway and that way the whole thing can be done in one go. And at less than buying three tires for the bike.

Did I do nothing then? Well, I did change the oil and oil filter and cleaned the oil strainer that is also in the engine. And I have upgraded the front brake line with a braided hose. The rear one has to wait until the bike returns. I wanted to get that over with before Dave would pick up the bike because we had said that that would happen on Tuesday. However, he gave me a call on Friday morning that he had time to pick it up early afternoon, so the front brake has not been bled properly yet (but it works) and the rear still has to be done. Oh, and new pads have gone in at the front and will go into the back as well.

January 19, 2021, 11:42:51 AMReply #7 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.89%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
Well, the bike came back last Wednesday. I was happy to see it and to get back to work.

The bike has received new shoes and those shoes are slightly different than the originals. The thing is that the 600 SS came with 120/60 tires as standard, but you don't have any sports rubber in that size anymore. So, after consulting a Ducati 600 SS group on Facebook and they told me to switch up to a 120/70 as that apparently also works better on the road and on the track. The only trouble that this got me into, is the fact that the mudguard is so tight that an upgrade to 70 actually makes it rub...

So, the only way to solve that is to slot the holes and move the mudguard up. Or to mount the mudguard of a Ducati 748. So, I snapped up a carbon one on our equivalent of Craigslist. So, I had to choose. One or two? What do you think?

Needless to say, that I wanted to move ahead now though. So, today I replaced the rear brake pads and replaced the rear brake line and clutch hose with braided hoses. I had already done the front brake hose, so all that was left now was to bleed the brakes and to put the bike back together.

And joy, it works! So, I gave it a quick wash and recorded a quick video:

In the meantime, I have also scored a red 748 mudguard, so there is that to choose from as well. Though the picture is probably not as nice looking:

January 19, 2021, 12:25:25 PMReply #8 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    9.33%
  • Max the Moderator
  • Bike model currently owned: Trophy SE - renamed Rhoda the Corroda
Nice work  :notworthy

Personally I like the classic period style front mudguard in red but for practical purposes the carbon one is probably the best compromise. It'd be a shame to hide the nice real carbon fibre but wrapping it in red vinyl might be an option.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

January 19, 2021, 12:30:39 PMReply #9 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.89%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
I'm not a fan of the carbon either. Plus it has its battle scars, so that is why I also grabbed a red one. That is the first mudguard in this photo:

That is now on there, and I think that I am going to build a bracket for it, as it does give the tire much more clearance.

January 19, 2021, 02:27:23 PMReply #10 on

Offline Lee337

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    7.11%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
  • Bike model currently owned: 2006 Tiger 955i, 1993 Triumph Trophy
Great story. Not certain myself about Ducati's. I owned a Monster 600 Dark for a while and it was ok, but I always preferred Aprilias, so I bought a Mille R instead. Admittedly this was 20 years ago & I never did ride any other Ducati's, so might have been missing out.

No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

January 19, 2021, 02:44:32 PMReply #11 on

Offline ghulst (OP)

• Administrator
  • Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.89%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
I am not specifically a Ducati man. I just buy whatever I see, when I like it. This was just sad, sitting in that corner in that shed. So, I pulled it out and got to work. I have never had a sports bike, so this is going to be a first.
I did try a Ducati Multistrada 1000DS before I bought my 800XC, but it wasn't what I was looking for. (I actually tried 5 or 6 other bikes as well.) However, I am interested to try the Multistrada 1260 Enduro and the new V4. Probably financially out of my league, but I would like to try them. ;)

January 20, 2021, 09:14:54 AMReply #12 on

Offline Nick Calne

• Cool Cats
  • Bengal Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    6.44%
There us something nice about how ducati's go together with the triangulated frames and the red paint. I often browse the ads thinking about a sneaky purchase to refurb. But then the truth of it is described above!! :ImaPoser

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal