Author Topic: Tabitha 1200  (Read 1737 times)

February 20, 2021, 06:42:50 PMReply #75 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.67%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
  • Bike model currently owned: 2006 Tiger 955i, 1993 Triumph Trophy
Couldn't resist it. Went in to the garage, mainly to do some work on the car, which had had a little visit from a mouse. Peanuts in the air intake and a nice little nest under the battery box, made from pieces of the bonnet sound proofing material. All in the space of 1 week. He/she's been a busy bugger.

Anyway, I've had the brakes in situ on the bike for some time minus the pads. So ended up taking the callipers off (there's no
fluid in the brake system yet as I've replaced the brake lines), fitting the brake pads, with copious amounts of copper grease on the pins and some brake grease on the back of the pads. Then the callipers were refitted & everything tightened up. I won't torque them properly until I put the wheels back on, which are still sitting on the bench, minus the tyres, waiting for lockdown to allow me to take them over to a business 15 miles away for a clean & powder coating.

Still haven't decided whether to stick with the original silver, or go for satin black.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

February 21, 2021, 01:18:07 AMReply #76 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    6.44%
  • Max the Moderator
  • Bike model currently owned: Trophy SE - renamed Rhoda the Corroda
Another colour option is the Graphite metallic that they used on the 96-98 models. They pick their locations don't they, I don't think Triumph ever offered branded mousetraps  :icon_lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

February 21, 2021, 12:23:38 PMReply #77 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.67%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
Worth looking in to the Graphite metallic, never considered that but will have to see the colour in the flesh.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

February 21, 2021, 05:40:50 PMReply #78 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    6.44%
  • Max the Moderator
Not great lighting but you get the idea

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

February 22, 2021, 07:54:21 PMReply #79 on

Offline ghulst

• Administrator
  • Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    2.22%
  • Roar!
    • arnehulstein.nl
  • Bike model currently owned: Triumph Tiger 800 XC '12
Yep,  I think the idea is that these need some work as well. ;)
Triumph Tiger 800XC '12 and a 1994 Ducati 600 SuperSport. - Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993

February 22, 2021, 09:06:46 PMReply #80 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    6.44%
  • Max the Moderator
They've been done but I can't get to the Powder Coater to collect them, I'll let you see how they turned out when I can.

February 22, 2021, 11:42:38 PMReply #81 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    6.44%
  • Max the Moderator
Something you might want to consider if you haven't already. Changing the valve stems to 90 deg type  ;)

February 23, 2021, 12:10:57 PMReply #82 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.67%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
Have these on my Tiger, so the thought crossed my mind, given how much easier it is to check the tyre pressures.

I've heard stories of them ripping out at high speeds, but as I'm not planning on doing any track days, I don't suppose the small difference in mass between standard ones & angled ones would make any difference.

February 24, 2021, 01:45:36 PMReply #83 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    6.44%
  • Max the Moderator
I've not heard of that and can't see that there would be a measurable difference compared to straight stems.  :icon_scratch: It all comes down to the quality in the end.

February 25, 2021, 12:06:47 PMReply #84 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.67%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
It was apparently an issue with Blackbirds, presumably because of the high speeds. Honda advised against them although not UK dealers, and the UK's top Blackbird man (Jaws) mentioned on more than one occasion that he was aware of the 90degree ones ripping out although they may have been the rubber ones, not the metal ones found on some Triumphs.

Quality may well be the answer.

February 26, 2021, 10:56:21 PMReply #85 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    6.44%
  • Max the Moderator
Please Nicola can I go to the powder coaters 30 miles away, I'll only be there for 5 minutes and I won't stop for the usual bacon butty and coffee  :cp

February 27, 2021, 11:14:50 AMReply #86 on

Offline Bixxer Bob

• Auditor of Reality
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    0.67%
  • I make the mistakes so you don't have to.....
  • Bike model currently owned: 2013 Exploder
 :rfl  My Type 1 diabetic friend 'forgot' her insulin so I had to ride a 50 mile round trip to take it to where she works    :augie
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

April 05, 2021, 01:55:23 PMReply #87 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.67%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
It's getting close, I can feel it.

The wheels are stripped of their old, hard as nails tyres and bearings, with new bearings on the shelf waiting to go back in and a set of Pirelli Angel ST's in the back of the garage awaiting fitting.

I've got a week off work, not that I've picked a great week weather wise, but as we're begining to open up 'UK PLC' again and we're allowed to travel for non-essential journeys, I'm off to the powder-coaters in the week to get my wheels done.

Still haven't decided whether to go with the original silver, or as close to that as possible, but I think that's probably more likely.

The final decision will be when I turn up at the powder coaters, and sad as this sounds, it will come down to how much more they'll charge me to do the sprocket carrier, which now I've cleaned it up is in remarkably good condition and doesn't really need to be repainted. The wheels are going to cost around £170 and I'm guessing at another £20 to have the new tyres fittted & balanced. So if having the sprocket carrier done is going to cost too much more, I may just leave it & get the wheels done to match the existing colour.

Once the wheels are done and back on the bike, I need to check the fuel hoses & new fuel tap for any potential leaks, put some petrol in the tank & see if it starts. Think I might video it - it'll either be the final video of the bike & garage going up in smpke, or the first time the engine has been started for probably around 6 years.

Time will tell.

April 05, 2021, 04:10:43 PMReply #88 on

Offline Sin_Tiger

• I have the POWER !
  • Cool Cats
  • Chatty Cathy
  • Activity Meter:
    6.44%
  • Max the Moderator
Mine are still sitting waiting for me to go pick them up  :^_^ I'm almost embarrassed to say they want paying £72 for both rims and the carrier  :icon_redface: it was another £15 to get them sent over to them + whatever the fine will be if I get caught on the collection caper  :cp

Fingers crossed and Fire Main pressurised at all times  :grnb , getting tense  :bad

April 05, 2021, 06:07:47 PMReply #89 on

Offline Lee337 (OP)

• Leopard
  • Activity Meter:
    6.67%
  • nOObie(ish)
    • My Triumphs & Me
I forgot you're north of the border, but aren't tou coming out of lockdown quicker than us?

We're allowed non essential journeys, so I'm not breaking any rules dropping them off, especially as it's a local journey, still within the same county.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal