News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 900 Anyone?

Started by mat-tiger1, February 23, 2021, 04:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat-tiger1

Any of you guys got one yet or have the inclination??  :^_^

I've put my inquiry in for a 900 Rally Pro in exchange for my 2018 XCA. Just waiting on the final figures and lead-time from the dealership.  :icon_biggrin:

Also, i'm not a lover of the current colour offerings so i'm thinking of getting it custom spayed before delivery, anyone done anything similar?  :icon_eek:
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

blacktiger

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on February 23, 2021, 04:40:39 PM

I've put my inquiry in for a 900 Rally Pro in exchange for my 2018 XCA. Just waiting on the final figures and lead-time from the dealership.  :icon_biggrin:

Also, i'm not a lover of the current colour offerings so i'm thinking of getting it custom spayed before delivery, anyone done anything similar?  :icon_eek:

Afraid not. I really can't be arsed to sort out all the bit's that don't work or suit me on another bike. So I'll stick with my sorted 800.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: blacktiger on February 26, 2021, 06:08:58 PM
Afraid not. I really can't be arsed to sort out all the bit's that don't work or suit me on another bike. So I'll stick with my sorted 800.

I'm of the same mind.  The Explorer is a noisy tractor, but I now know it inside out and fixed a fuel injection fault myself that flummoxed the dealer, unsurprisingly, but also Clive Woods.  Much as I'd like to swap it for something lighter,  I'm not sure I want to go through the getting intimate with the spanners thing again.

After the FI thing on my  Explorer I swore my next bike would have carbs.  Then I race prepped a VFR750.  Fuck carbs.  At least FI only goes wrong occasionally.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

London_Phil

And what was the FI problem in the end?

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: London_Phil on February 26, 2021, 10:01:18 PM
And what was the FI problem in the end?

Two-fold.

The TPS on the throttle bodies wasn't reading correctly and the airbox pressure sensor was fubar'd.

The TPS is calibrated at the factory and sealed prior to installation so was going to be a big problem.  However, I found a set of TBs on Ebay from a previously good, accident damaged bike for 100 quid.  Most of the problem went away on fitting them but it still had a lumpy tickover.  I noticed that if I blanked off the airbox sensor with my thumb it smoothed out so contacted the TB seller and got the sensor off that bike too.

Main dealer wouldn't touch it because there were no fault codes stored in the ECU.  Clive did his best, but he soon realised he didn't have any more tools than me and didn't want me to run up a bill doing work I could do my self. 

I was worried I was going to have to break it for parts, but I just kept chipping away, trying different things, till I worked it out.  The main issue was chasing two faults at the same time!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I had to have the Trophy complete TB replaced, thankfully under warranty, the speed the dealer and Triumph dealt with it made me wonder if it wasn't the first time  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on February 23, 2021, 04:40:39 PM

Not really. I still have Ducati to sort, a Mini to sell, an Alfa Romeo to restore, and a new convertible to buy... The Tiger is probably one of my most trustworthy machines on the road at the moment. I'd like to keep it as long as that is the case. ;) 
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Lee337

Bumped in to someone today who'd just traded in his 800 got one of these Rally Pros (yes, I was out for an essential journey). I asked how they compared. I think he was undecided but the alarm annoyed him as it automatically set when you turned the ignition off, the ride didn't compare to the 800 (didn't say better or worse, just different) and he seemed to have problems pulling away.

It certainly didn't sound Triumph like & I'm undecided on the look. Think I'll be keeping my 955i for a while yet.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

blacktiger

Quote from: Lee337 on March 02, 2021, 05:37:10 PM
Bumped in to someone today who'd just traded in his 800 got one of these Rally Pros (yes, I was out for an essential journey). I asked how they compared. I think he was undecided but the alarm annoyed him as it automatically set when you turned the ignition off, the ride didn't compare to the 800 (didn't say better or worse, just different) and he seemed to have problems pulling away.

It certainly didn't sound Triumph like & I'm undecided on the look. Think I'll be keeping my 955i for a while yet.

The 900s sound like they've got a misfire when they tickover. And the ride? Well they've gone back to Showa and I know what a fuck up they made on the 800s. That said, it is adjustable on the 900s I believe. So it may be able to be tuned into something decent.

TigerKing

I traded my 800 XCa for a 900 Rally Pro, I'm a relative newbie to biking overall and don't get down and dirty with the mechanics, tightening the chain is as dirty and technical as I get......but.....I had the 800 XRt before the XCa and loved them both, couldn't fault either, for me the ride on the XCa being a little more 'off road' biased was fractionally prefferable. 
So it was a leap of faith to go for the 900 but I'm so glad I did, obviously it all comes down to personal preference but the Rally Pro is even more perfect for me than my 800's were.
Hope that helps shed another light/view on the conundrum, happy to chat over in more detail anytime.
Life is short !

TigerKing

I should add, I do find the turn by turn Triumph navigation system a load of pants.
In truth, that might be because I don't 'get' how to use it properly but for me, if its not simple, intuitive and easy to follow on the move, it becomes an annoyance rather than an aid.
Life is short !

mat-tiger1

I've pulled the trigger on a 21 Rally pro and I'm taking my 18 plate 800XCA in on Saturday for the my part of the swap.
I do use mine off-road and have suitable tyres for such occasions (Mefo Explorer & Mitas E07) so I've asked the dealer to find some appropriate "boots" for the new ride.
I'm having mine custom sprayed so the lead time is going to be around 3-4 weeks which should be just about right to start putting some miles on it!
I see you're down for the IOM trip, so it'll be good to have a catch up on your experiences with your RP then if we don't meet up beforehand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

blacktiger

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on March 04, 2021, 01:57:36 PM
I do use mine off-road and have suitable tyres for such occasions (Mefo Explorer & Mitas E07) so I've asked the dealer to find some appropriate "boots" for the new ride.

The E07 is tubeless coz I use them on my roadie rim. Not absolutely sure about the Mefo.

TigerKing

Nice one 'mat-tiger1' ....!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Looking forward to meeting up and chatting, and seeing your paint job.
Life is short !

mat-tiger1

Got round to picking her up on Saturday.  :love10

Had Metzler Karoo 3's & some larger foot pegs fitted. (Same as my old 800 XCA)

Still waiting for a space at the spray shop!  :icon_rolleyes:

Now to get some miles on her while I'm waiting!  :thumbsup