News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sorting out my passenger handles

Started by ghulst, March 05, 2021, 09:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Yes, I guess the title to this post can open up a whole set of great remarks...

However, it really is about the passenger grab handles at the rear of my '11 Tiger 800XC just look horrible. They used to be this grey finish, but now they are grey/black and worn out. I was just thinking this tonight and I might take a better picture of them tomorrow with the Tiger in the garage...

But I'll post a picture here anyway, just so you've got something to look at.

Anyway, all thoughts are welcome!
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

blacktiger

Quote from: ghulst on March 05, 2021, 09:47:26 PM
Yes, I guess the title to this post can open up a whole set of great remarks...

However, it really is about the passenger grab handles at the rear of my '11 Tiger 800XC just look horrible. They used to be this grey finish, but now they are grey/black and worn out. I was just thinking this tonight and I might take a better picture of them tomorrow with the Tiger in the garage...

But I'll post a picture here anyway, just so you've got something to look at.

Anyway, all thoughts are welcome!

Battle scars add character.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

ghulst

Battle scars, yes, but this is just bad finish...

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

I have a '12 xc, and I agree, the handles are ugly, but they form part of the support for the rear rack/topbox.
I think some models had black ones, but they do spoil the look.

Sin_Tiger

Hand sewn vintage burgundy leather wrap for that Hipster look  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 06, 2021, 01:44:43 PM

Yeah, bit Sin, you can buy them off the shelf in Camden, looking for something a little more, individual...

93TigerBill-2016

For a 'different' look, howsabout a tight wrap with Paracord?
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911

ghulst

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 06, 2021, 01:44:43 PM
:rfl  That was the best suggestion ever.

Quote from: Nick Calne on March 06, 2021, 08:28:15 AM
How about some powder coating?

Quote from: London_Phil on March 06, 2021, 10:45:17 AM
I think some models had black ones, but they do spoil the look.

I'm just going to respond to both of these at the same time. I honestly would love the original finish. I have seen some with black powder coating, but I do think it does not look as good. On the one hand, they fit in with the black of the frame much better, but that also makes the back of the bike almost 'invisible' as it is all black. I guess if you want to do a triple black version and paint he tank and beak as well, that could make sense, but it doesn't to me. Not now anyway. And to do it in silver powder coating, might make them just look out of place...

I guess leather it is then.  :icon_lol:

No, seriously, I do want to do something about them, but it is not easy.

blacktiger

So then, it's out with the polishing wheel. Nice and shiny then a few coats of lacquer?

Chrome plating?

ghulst

LOL, no, no chrome plating. That definitely does not match the Tiger, in my opinion. Now if it was a Harley-Davidson adventure bike... ;)

blacktiger

Quote from: ghulst on March 08, 2021, 11:18:51 AM
LOL, no, no chrome plating. That definitely does not match the Tiger, in my opinion. Now if it was a Harley-Davidson adventure bike... ;)

OK. You can have them anodised any colour you like.

Sin_Tiger

I like anodised parts but the trouble is that the finish doesn't last well on contact surfaces, especially those always in strong UV, that's  :* if you can remember that long ago.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

blacktiger

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on March 08, 2021, 05:47:13 PM
I like anodised parts but the trouble is that the finish doesn't last well on contact surfaces, especially those always in strong UV, that's  :* if you can remember that long ago.

It's only red that fades to pink over time. Silver would look standard and won't fade.

London_Phil

Looks like its Hammer(ite) time....