News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What's a good price 2000 885i? Also, your opinion obout...

Started by Zsolt, August 08, 2005, 07:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zsolt

I always liked Tigers, and I am considering getting one. As I was doing my research I discovered this site. You guys are awesome!

Anyway, I am debating between a 2000 885i and a 2001 955i. I have read some posts on the list already (pros and cons), but I thought I'd ask for some more input.

What would be a good price for a pampered 885? Can you give me some hard numbers. Not asking price, but actual prices that you sold/bought a bike  for. What is the typical price differnce? Is it worth it? Please don't hesitate, give my your 2 cents.

Thanks in advance,

Zsolt

fastslug

hi, i've got a 2000 885i, one previous owner and full dealer service history.

i tried to sell it earlier this year and looked at what they were going for. private sale was £3250 and dealers were still asking for £4200 for bikes of a similar mileage to mine (26,000)

i put mine up for sale for £3000 as there was a crack in the front mudguard - fender to you.

i didn't manage to sell the bike so i put it on ebay but the bids only went to £2100, hence i still have the bike.

if poss try to get one with some triumph luggage on it as this is a good selling point.

as for the difference between 885i and 955i, in my experience, the 955i does have more stomp, and will leave the 885 once you get to around 90mph. having said that, on corners, due to the lower power on the 885i, you can use the throttle like an on/off switch and fully open the throttle very early in the turn with very little risk of the back end sliding, making it easy to stay ahead of a 955 in the twisties.

now before all the 955 owners start ranting and raving!!, my friend has a 955, and our riding is a pretty close match. we have swapped bikes and we both found this was the outcome and this ended the debate between ourselves.

hope this helps you a little bit, i'm sure someone will be on shortly to give you some 955 prices and to argue about the differences and give their opinions. but, as the saying goes; opinions are like armpits, most people have them, and they usually stink!

dougahole

Zsolt, I just bought a 2001 tiger last week from my local dealer in Oklahoma City for $5300. It's got 19k miles and is in perfect condition. The options include factory color matched hard bags and trunk, heated grips, gel seat, taller screen, crash bars, piaa driving lights and centerstand.I felt it to be a pretty good price considering the low resale value of tigers in this area. I've ordered a triumph race can and a dynojet 02 sensor eliminator and mapped it to the race tune a few days ago. Can't wait to unleash the roar from this thing and I'm pretty happy with it so far. An 05 with 754 miles on it at my local BMW dealer went for $7350 on ebay a few weeks prior and I just missed it. Dealer in Denver has a low mile 03 for $6500 and I was going to nab it up, but went for the cheaper 01 instead. Not much help but that's all I know about tigers and what they are worth around here.

davensocal

I bought a '00 885i in Feb.  Race exh, aftermarket rear shock, center stand, $4000.  Had 19K on it when I bought it.  

Bike was in good shape, no cosmetic damage, never dropped.  Found some squirrely things on it when I got home, but not too bad.  Overall I am very happy with it.

Zsolt

Thanks for the response guys!

I was wondering if a higher mileage 20-30,000 mi bike is ok to buy. I saw that some of you guys have a lot more than that on yours. Can I anticipate more problems than if I bought one with lower mileage (say below 10 k)?

What is your experience with maintenance and repairs as the mileage is increasing? Any typical problems at all?

Thanks again,

Zsolt

fastslug

there arn't any horrors, just general maintainance, try to get one with service history and get one thats as far away as possible from a 24,000 mile service ( v.expensive ) these bikes are known to be bulletproof, which is why i bought mine, as i do a lot of miles

Zsolt

Thanks. What is involved in the 24,000 mile service? How much is very expensive?

Zsolt

jp4evr

It's a major service as is 36k / 48k etc.  Mine was in for the 36k recently and was about $700.  I was quoted $1000 by another shop before going in Sac. to a local dealer.

It's the hourly rate that's going to kill you.  Also the prices for them to replace stuff that I should have done had I the time.  Oil Filter, etc.
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!