News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Replacement Screws / Bolts

Started by Flyingwombat, January 02, 2024, 12:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyingwombat

I have an 855i Tiger 1999. The screws are often rusted, heads are often stripped, and as an engineer who designs products the idea that the vehicle should require Allen, Torx, and Philips in order to conduct basic service events drives me mad.

So here's a list so far of the changes I've made.

1. Using only Torx - TX heads are less likely to strip at any point during the life of the motorbike.
2. Changing to A4 stainless steel - best corrosion resistance, yes this might cause galvanic corrosion, but looking at the rest of the bike I am not entirely sure this featured in the initial design considerations...

Here's a link to the document. I will keep updating it as I go.

REPAIRED LINK
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQyAS55Zsnb_sLxSdPYaA3JqoHMpK9Vq5YkgSJAifGbY3VgoqvNUN66vTDWLl6sihSRUGQz78VmYb42/pubhtml
1999 Triumph Tiger 885i - fun and free
2022 KTM Duke 125 - workday commuter

Flyingwombat

wyaTT37

Thank you for that list and the links. Very very helpful. I have a 2001 and a 2005 and I have a lot of issues with some screws. I need to tap a few holes to make them bigger. The worst culprits are the battery box to frame screws, and ignition coil screws (holes stripped). Those need kee inserts.
Thanks to "those who we cannot mention",  Im keeping my Tigers outfitted for Mad Max world, coming to a hometown near you in short order.

Flyingwombat

Quote from: wyaTT37 on March 19, 2024, 05:58:57 AMThank you for that list and the links. Very very helpful. I have a 2001 and a 2005 and I have a lot of issues with some screws. I need to tap a few holes to make them bigger. The worst culprits are the battery box to frame screws, and ignition coil screws (holes stripped). Those need kee inserts.

Recommend v-coil rapid the inserting tool is really good and prevents error. Would tap by hand though, rather than use a drill because I am cautious.

Glad someone finds it useful. Will keep adding as I replace more.