News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Winfield & Vicksburg, CO

Started by BigDave, August 30, 2005, 07:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

This is another area I have been going to for over 20 years. This was the first time on a bike. I have never taken my son Ashton to this place either so I figured before it got too cold I better do it. Camping elevation is at 10,455.

We started off by eating breakfast at the Log Cabin in Frisco. Then tarmac to Leadville.  South of Leadville you turn right (west) at Clear Creek Res.  From there its a gravel road in to the ghost towns of Vicksburg, Rockdale and Winfield.  All these towns were real busy in the 1800's with silver mining being the main industry.

At Winfield, the road crosses Clear Creek South Fork and turns into 4WD.  The spot where we always like to camp is just a mile or two in passed the the bridge.

The road going in is about as tough as I ever want to try being 2-up and loaded with camp gear.

We found a nice little spot next to the stream.  Had to wait for an inch of hail to melt before staking the tent down.

Ashton approved.

After we setup camp we decided to go check out Winfield and the FS road that goes West of town passed the Winfield Cemetary.

Winfield in its prime had 1500 residents.  3 saloons, a school and several businesses.

We went passed the cemetary a couple miles to be turned back by more loose rock that started to get steep.  A good place to turn around & have lunch.

Ashton wanted a closeup of where we turned around.  He said he wasnt going up that & I agreed. The kid is getting pretty good at the camera as several of the other shots in this report he took.

Back to camp.  Time for a Red Bull....

Plenty of space for a kid to explore.

The Sun was going down, so were the temps.  Time for a FIRE!

So we made soup & brats and I told as many stories from this place to my Son that I could remember.  Everything from waking up one morning to 3 inches of snow to me cutting my brother's head wide open trying to skip a rock across the stream to seing my Sister's head get smacked by the hatch on the Ford Bronco.  Ah, the memories...

We woke about 6:30 to a chilly sub 30 degree morning.

It got warm fast after the sun hit.  Here the GS works great as a kitchen.  Nothing like fresh coffee and the smell of sausage cooking in the morning up above 10,000 feet.

Yeah, I wore that cap to bed.

We had another fire and enjoyed breakfast and hanging out at camp that morning.  Then it was time to packup.  We left camp at noon.  We then stopped at Winfield for a few more pics and a look around.

Back down the valley a few miles there is a small settlement called Rockdale.

15-20 years ago they diverted the main road out of the town of Vicksburg.  Now you have to park and walk in.  There is a nice little museum that was open and plenty of minig history to learn about.

It was time to head back to Denver.  After a fuel stop in Buena Vista, we took a lunch break at the rest stop going up Trout Creek Pass.  You never get tired of seeing the view towards Buena Vista.

We pretty much came straight home with one exception. We took a dirt road for a few miles that ended up re-joining 285. Castle Rock Creek.  There is more to explore in this area for sure.  Another ride, another day.

Thank you Ashton for letting me share this special place with you.

spanky

GREAT PICS!!, where's the tiger???? :-k
Happy trails to you

Honda Magna, Yamaha SR 600 thumper, and impatiently Waiting for delivery of My 2006 Caspian blue Cat..

wonko the sane

Excellent use of resources: natural, man-made, and youthful!

Obviously, Ashton is a vital member of your expeditions, I look forward to more from both of you in the years to  come.
The world is a book, and those who don\'t travel, read only a page.

St. Augustine

Mudhen

Quote from: "BigDave"Thank you Ashton for letting me share this special place with you.

And thank you Dave for sharing your trip with us!

Pat

Now get that camera away from Ashton before we get more pictures of your ugly mug posted up here!   :lol:
\'96 Steamer

Kitty

Phantastic!

:D

Please more of theese lonely cold valleys I could never reach with my tiger (which is toooo fat for me for driving over such biiiiig stones)