News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Welcome Tiggers!

Started by BigDave, October 03, 2003, 10:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

So here we go! This website is a work in progress.  My goal is to be able to gather and distribute all the Tiger info we can find as well as make this a fun place to visit.

Many of you may know me by my "lerxtpratt" designation on the Yahoo list or "EnduroDog" on AdvRider.  On my old KLR website I was "BigDave" so "BigDave" is back.

I will post other announcements in here including some tips for using this website.

Ride Safe

BigDave

BigDave

I know some of you will have questions about some of the features of this website.  Please feel free to email or PM me.

Check the FAQ at the top of the page.

If you would prefer a lighter color scheme, log in, go to "Profile" ans change your style from subBlack, to subSilver

BigDave

I have combined a few of the sections.  The old "Tiger Mods" and "Vet Clinic" are now a part of the General Tiger Forum

BigDave

New Moderators.

I will be announcing 2 new moderators to help run this website soon.

I will still maintain and host this website.

More details to follow.

BigDave

skoron

BigDave:

FYYFF :lol:

Skoron :wink:
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

skoron

Big Dave:

Inquiring minds want to know!

Did you trade the Tiger in on the GS Adventure or selling outright??

Parting out any of the extras you bought?  Seat, etc

Skoron

BigDave

Well Tiggers, yes, its true.  I did trade my Tiger in on a '04 GS Adventure.

This was a very difficult decision as there were many things to consider.

First of all, I want you to know, that this website will continue as long as there is interest.  I may not be the driving force behind the content anymore, but I will continue to host and maintain this website for no charge to anyone.  Just because I got a different bike doesn't mean that I would just pull the plug on this.  My original reasons for building this website are still valid.  There needs to be a good place for the next generation Tiger owners to come and exchange information.  The places to do that on the internet are limited for this unique bike.  I am a total supporter of Triumph and the Tiger, and itÌs all I can do to allow this venue to continue.

As for my reasons for getting rid of my Tiger?  First of all, you must know that I meant what I said before when it comes to this bike being fun.  It truly is a blast to ride.  I was "wowed" by this bike during my test drive.  As I have stated before, I was set on getting a GS way before the Tiger came around.  I suppose after years of 2 strokes and thumpers, the triple just took me away.  I had never had smooth power like that.  My initial impressions of both bikes were as I have stated.  I really wasn't thrilled with the GS and the Tiger was great.  

So, what happened?

Most of you know of my engine failure at 1000.  That was a very trying time for me.  I was questioning my choice.  Then, my dealer and Triumph came through big time.  It took a month to clear it up, but it did get resolved.  I was really a drag as I missed 3 rides I was going to do.  These were planned, multi-day rides in Colorado.  I don't want to list out a bunch of things that I found about the Tiger that I was not happy with, I do not want to come across as a negative sounding or resentful. ThatÌs really not the way I feel.  I believe the Tiger is a fine bike.  I just realized after putting 3400 miles on it in 3 months (4 month of of ownership) that I was going to tear this bike up.  I really think that the Tiger is more street oriented than I had once thought.  I really need a bike I can take on any messed up back road or ATV trail and not have to worry about about things.  You most likely read about my rocks episode and that was truly troubling.  I felt like I had to keep spending money (and I certainly did) on this thing to make it what I really wanted.  I guess I finally came to the realization that I just couldn't turn this thing into the bike I wanted.  Believe me, I tried.  I put tons of stuff on that thing, look at all the pics on the Mods Gallery.  

I also figured that if I make this website, it would help me be satisfied with the bike.  I made several posts to try to validate my choice and convince others as well.  I feel I was honest with those statements; its just that deep down inside, I knew from the first week I bought the Tiger that I really wanted the GS.  I tried to convince myself otherwise, but I just couldn't go any further.  My wife already called the Tiger "The Money Pit." Because of all the money I was spending on it. With the current no payments for 90 days, then after that, BMW makes for first 3 scheduled payments and the loan is at 3.9%, I decided to do it.  Part of me feels real bad about the whole situation and I hope this news doesn't upset you guys or change the way you may feel about me.  I really have no regrets as it was overall a fun time.  I hope you all continue to have a good time with your Tigers and if you wish, you may continue to help grow this website as a fine resource for the Triumph Tiger.

Ride Safe,

BigDave

p.s.  I'll be posting some stuff for sale in a week or so.

RobZ

Dave'

SELL OUT  :lol:  :lol:

Hey we still love you and the site.

As to money Pit - Tiget $11K fully set    GS $18K+ fully set   :shock:  :shock:

Oh Well  :lol:

We will wait for you to at the end of the run on that Big, Slow GS  :lol:  :lol:

TigerTrax

We are a 'motley group' driven by visions of sugar plumbs dancing in our heads!

We are the forever traveler! The nomads of modern day world. The last planetary expedition force of one.

We see ourselves conquering the world, riding thru deserts, forests, coastal highways, and canyons out onto the plains and into the sunset ...

with only a bedroll, $5, and a toothbrush. We are the adventurer.

Then we 'snap too', get back to work, find out who's available for lunch!

Figuring out the kids schedule, when to fix the faucet, clean the gutters, etc, etc.

Forever saying to ourselves, " I need to get a different motorcycle"

Hell yes! The one i've got is GREAT ... but the one I want is GREATER!

Yet in the back of our minds we know .... lurking out there, somewhere,

is an even GREATER motorcycle we REALLY WANT!! One that will take me places that I can only envision.

Oh yeah, life goes on .... with visions of sugar plumbs dancing in our heads!

Enjoy your GS ...Dave!  We'll wait for you!    

You can still come to the Tiger Ride-In!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

RedMenace

It is a shame the Tiger did not meet your expectations. It's a shame Triumph hasn't built the following to support more aftermarket vendors and hasn't supplied kit options for the motard and offroad enthusiasts. I think the company is really missing the boat by just sitting back and leaving such a good base platform undeveloped.

I am still very happy with my Steamer. When it comes time to replace it I will be looking hard at the the EFI vs the KTM. The BMW has many of the same problems as the Tiger, in my opinion-it is more delicate than it looks and is expensive to fix.

I hope your new GS is all you want it to be-keep us posted.
The Red Menace

skoron

Dave:

Well, I guess if you got the money to throw around!  :lol:

At least we'll probably read about your Adventures (get it!) at Adv.

Skoron

TigerTrax

Everyone who stops into this site..... post a note, add some info, create a stir....

This is a terrific forum that is to the point and of real benefit!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

BigDave

I knew the "we will be waitin' for ya" jokes would probly come out, and they did!  Actually. you guys are too kind.  You could have really let me have it, but you didn't & thats cool.  Afterall, how serious is all this anyway?  Isn't this all about toys?

I am out in California.  I drug the GS out here on our motorhome & quickly ran up most of my first 600 miles.  Its really been fun and I really do think this bike will be keeper.  Just home it all goes well for many miles and the maintenance costs stay down.

I'll post more of the GS/Tiger comparisons in due time.  I'll hold out for now & let the dust settle a bit.  It looks like you guys are still taking a interest in the website.  I'll post ride reports in here when I get back.

Dick Boyer

Big Dave. This is sure an interesting web site. Just bought a new 04 Tiger (orange) and have managed only 100 miles so far. Also have a Honda 650 XRL but was looking for something with more power and better on road. Picked it up the day before Christmas and also rode Christmas day. The local dealer here in Calgary, Blackfoot Motorsports was good enough to let me take a test ride first. The weather here is -15f today with 3 inches of the white stuff. Guess I won't get to ride soon. Dirt biking was my passion for 20 years and then went to dualsporting and now some street/gravel road exploring. The Tiger is a great looking bike with good bottom end but I haven't had it over 4000rpm so can only assume top end power is good too. I've added the center stand and now looking for a passenger backrest. Don't want the top trunk, so thats out. Any ideas short of building my own. Hope to take lots of trips this year. :Dick

skoron

Dick:

Congrats!   I'm sure you will love it.

Used to live in Calgary many years ago.  Actually moved before Blackfoot built that new building.  Good to hear they picked up Triumph.  Bought my first new bike from them (Katana).  

Triumph dealers are few and far between in Canada it seems.  Calgary and Regina in Western Canada.  A serious problem if Triumph wants to expand sales.  Midwest in US not much better.

You bought a great bike from a great dealer.  Have fun!

Skoron