News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Leak!

Started by TigerDave, December 22, 2005, 08:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerDave

:shock: Has anyone else had their Tiger's oil filter give up on them?  I rode my 2004 Tiger 50miles to my nearest Triumph dealer for a 6000 mile service today, and on the way my oil filter gave out on me.  By the time I arrived at the dealer I only had about 1/2 a Ltr of oil left.  Luckily the leak must have only started in the last couple of miles.  The bike seems to be ok now, I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similiar problem.  :?:

Foxy

Not on the Tiger, but on a Suzuki a few years ago. It's not a case of the filter just letting go, but the result of it taking a good hit from road debris. Should be a good deal less frequent on the Tiger than on that Suzuki due to the position of the filter. On the Suzuki it was located right at the front of the case directly inline with the front wheel.

In the case of the Suzuki I was left nearly stranded in Wales in 30 plus degrees of heat, going through about a litre of oil every couple of miles. Not helped by it being a Sunday so nowhere was open - after the first four litres of oil the only place I could find sold engine oil by the 55 gallon drum. He sold me three wine bottles full for a quid :)

Not much can be done about it though - short of fitting a sump guard. Fingers crossed you won't have done much if any damage - Triumph triples pick up their oil from very low in the sump so it shouldn't have starved itself.

TigerDave

Cheers Foxy, I feel a bit better about what happened now I know the tiger gets its oil from the bottom of the sump.  By the sounds of it the chances of it happening again are probably slim, so I will just try to put it behind me and get back on the saddle  :D    [/img]