News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ode to a Steamer.... [steamer pictures thread]

Started by tigerrider, August 04, 2007, 01:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Lion

Thanks, FoothillRyder, we are going to be looking into a new topbox as it happens. Also, you could be absolutely right about Tigz having everything I need for touring. My main concern is that she is getting pretty old at 96,000km, and I'm very concerned about reliability(check last post).
You can see more photo's of the 3-day tour on my Flickr account.

The route we took was:
Peachland S Hwy97(S) -- Omak SE 155 -- Coulee Dam S 155 Dry Falls --N 155 Coulee Dam -- SE 174 Wilbur -- N 21 Curlew -- NW Midway Border Xing -- W Hwy 3 Osoyoos -- N Hwy 97 -- Home
Black '96 Steamer : \'04 RM250 : \'10 Arctic Cat Prowler 700XTX

Mustang

Quote from: "Red Lion"My main concern is that she is getting pretty old at 96,000km, and I'm very concerned about reliability(check last post).
thats a little less than 60,000 miles
she's good for MUCH more  :wink:

Mustang

Quote from: "Red Lion"The reason why we stopped is, well, ...... Tigz insisted! During the 1,000km trip it ran faultlessly, except for this stretch. It just cut out on us. We waited a few minutes, took some snaps, then restarted the bike. It fired up as if nothing had ever occurred!
2 hours after this, Tigz started 'missing' for about 30 seconds whilst cruising, then picked herself up again to complete the last 300 km without a problem.
Thoughts, anyone?
Does it act like it's running out of gas ?
when it does it while riding does switching to reserve mysteriously "fix-it"
sounds very similar to my wifes 95 ...........turns out it's the nylon filter sock on the petcock pipe in the tank . It collapses then cant suck fuel . take it off , toss it away .

there is a filter in the line where it enters the carb bank between #2 and #3 carb

FoothillRyder

Another possibility is a pinched vacuum (or vent) line to the fuel tank. My '97 Trophy did exactly the same thing once. It was a pinched vacuum line. If it happens again, try opening the fuel filler. If you hear a 'hiss' when it opens, you have a pinched vent line. Don't remember if the Tiger has a 'Prime' position on the fuel petcock (the Trophy does); but if it does, flip it to the Prime position and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you have a pinched vacuum line (the Prime position would bypass the vacuum operated valve).
- FoothillRyder

'97 Trophy 3, '98 Tiger, '96 Sprint
AMA 289558, COP# 0001, BIR# 47
www.foothillryder.com

Red Lion

Quote from: "Mustang"Does it act like it's running out of gas ?
when it does it while riding does switching to reserve mysteriously "fix-it"
Thanks, Mustang, you've confirmed my suspicions. During the second incident I did in fact flip the petcock to RES, despite only just having filled up, and within 5 seconds or so she was purring again. Funny thing is, it looks to be a brand spanking petcock!
I have lurked in some of your invaluable posts, so I'm also mindful of the "stock coil issues", so I'm going to make sure I have/or get the one's that you swear by(forgotten the name; but will check).

Late Edit: Cheers, FoothillRyder, will check also.

To keep the thread on topic, here is an arty-farty snap:

Sin_Tiger

Lovely pics.

Had almost exactly the same experience with mine, Filip to reserve and away she went. No rhyme nor reason to it, petcock was brand new, looked perfect every time it was taken out to check it. Stopped doing it on my last long run, a bit unnerving.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

FoothillRyder

Here's one with the Gustaffson screen, taken on my 'shakedown' ride this past weekend.

- FoothillRyder

www.foothillryder.com

Red Lion

Wow! I really could do with one of those screens. On my Washington trip one of the main reasons for unscheduled stops was to clean bug guts from my visor. Was it effective?

FoothillRyder

Quote from: "Red Lion"Wow! I really could do with one of those screens. On my Washington trip one of the main reasons for unscheduled stops was to clean bug guts from my visor. Was it effective?

Very effective. What surprised me was that there did not seem to be any buffeting added by the screen, in spite of its height. I'm only 5'11 or so, and I can see the pavement about 20' in front of the bike over the top of the screen.
- FoothillRyder

www.foothillryder.com

Herring

So, my first post on this forum...here's my '93 Steamer:

Sin_Tiger

Very unusual and very nice for it  8)  hard to believe that's not a kick in the backside off 20 years old.

Where are my manners  :oops: welcome.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Hello and welcome.
That bronze colour is amazing. To my knowledge their is only one other the same on the forum. It coolhandluke's.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Red Lion

I'm loving the colour. How many miles/km's do you have on the clock? She looks gorgeous!

Herring

Quote from: "Red Lion"I'm loving the colour. How many miles/km's do you have on the clock? She looks gorgeous!

She has almost 94K km's on the clock, but still going strong  :D

aeronca

welcome aboard 8)  looks great.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!