News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'05 tiger vs. '98 tiger

Started by el gueche, April 14, 2006, 02:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el gueche

i just got off the phone w/a local triumph dealer, looking for color options for the '05 or '06. he said he has a '98 tiger under 1k miles that they used as a demo but never sold due to carb problems. they have recently taken the bike out of storage and have put on new carbs and it's running fine. i don't know what replacement carbs they have used and i don't know about any particulars regarding any other updates. i'm curious as to the basic differences regarding the 2 models. i have experience with the old motor, i know that it's bullet proof, and i know that it's top heavy. i prefer the styling of the '98. i purchased a  t100 from this dealer so i have faith in them. how do the 2 bikes compare and how are pillions treated on the respective bikes. strengths? bug a boos?

el

djr

newer bike has better engine, better suspension as well.

Any saving you make now you will lose come resell time.

an 8yr old bike is still an 8 year old bike and if it was as cheap and simple a fix as change the carbs why has he held back so long?

Patrick

Quote from: "djr"newer bike has better engine, better suspension as well.

That's true. But the older ones have nore character and style... and look way better! ;)

How about demo riding the old and a new one? Best to compare them all by yourself. I own a girly and bought an additional steamer three months ago. Both are different and nevertheless comparable. And I like both.

Have fun!

Patrick

toddtruby

Quote from: "el gueche"ithey have recently taken the bike out of storage and have put on new carbs and it's running fine. i don't know what replacement carbs they have used and i don't know about any particulars regarding any other updates.

el

HUGE red flag IMO.  C'mon, ...bike is in storage for 8 years, all of a sudden they put new carbs on and everthing is OK?  At a minimum, they aren't giving you the whole story or being upfront with you.  That alone would make me hesitate to do business with them.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "el gueche"a '98 tiger under 1k miles that they used as a demo but never sold due to carb problems. el

If this was truly a demo I believe there should be warrantee to be had. I still think the price is too high for a nine year old bike that was not loved when new.

Bruincounselor
Bruin\'

Mudhen

I have to agree...something fishy about their story.

There's a 900 mile 1998 for sale on Ebay now, too...just up the road from me (bidding is at $4k).  And when I was looking last year a dealer in VA had one with 800 miles on it, for $4500.  What is wrong with these people????

If you're interested in that Steamer on ebay I can go check it out for you...let me know.

Pat
\'96 Steamer

Ansis

I have 98 and 01 tigers in my garadge. I agree that 98 looks more like Triumph in my opinion. It is one big and heavy peace of mettal. When I tested 01 bike it is much lighter for driving and different seeting position. But sound of 98 is much better. I do not know which of the bikes I will sell.

But I agree with others as well. Price is too high for 8 years bike and how much do you trust your dealer.