News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuel light min and max

Started by Brother Number One, May 04, 2006, 03:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Number One

Hi All,

What's your worst and best range to fuel light on?  So far, my worst is 160 miles and my best is 212 miles.  Both of these figures have come more than once.  High speed cruising (80-100mph  :twisted: ) through Spain gave the worst fuel consumption, swinging through the twisties gave the best.  My bike's an 04.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

echoyankee

I'm on a 2001

worst for me is about 180

best is in the 220-230 range.  

HIGHLY dependent on city vs. highway environment.

Best,

echoyankee

haulin' daze

192 and 208, but those are my only fill-ups since I'm still breaking her in. How much fuel is left once the light comes on?

apache

lucky you, light on at 150, pushin the bike by 220. 97 steamer.

jp4evr

My light has yet to come on.  I guess my worst is about 220 and my best to date is 350.  ... hmm - maybe i should count the teeth on my sprockets?

maybe my light doesn't work and i've just been lucky??? I've put just about the max fuel in a couple of times so I'm thinking my light no-worky
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

apache

I think not in your case. at 210 miles I can usually get 6 gals in the tank. I figure I get 35/37 mpg

Jim S

Good grief! And they told me my Varadero was greedy! THat's horrendous, at least the Varadero could return over 40mpg. Not much in it really, apart from the Varadero is far quicker than the Triumph.

I've not had mine long enough to check the consumption yet but I'll check the next tankfull.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Brother Number One

Quote from: "Jim S"Good grief! And they told me my Varadero was greedy! THat's horrendous, at least the Varadero could return over 40mpg. Not much in it really, apart from the Varadero is far quicker than the Triumph.

I've not had mine long enough to check the consumption yet but I'll check the next tankfull.

200 miles to light-on equates to about 10 miles per litre which is about 46mpg; not bad, surely.

At 93hp and 241kg I'm surprised you found the Varadero to be quicker  :evil: , let alone far quicker.  I have an 850 TDM which is like a lawnmower compared to the Tiger.  A mate has just bought the touring V-Strom so that will be an interesting comparison, too.

:smt014
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

TRKTEK

Light on between 300 and 325 K however when topping up as soon as the light comes on The most I've squeezed in was 20L......

Not so bad having a light and a gauge that lies to the good.....

Remember the days with a fuel petcock you had to reach for as the bike sputtered? and the colourful language you yelled at yourself inside your helmet when discovering you had forgotten to take it off reserve after filling up :oops:

All part of the adventure......
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

NortonCharlie

Quote from: "apache"I think not in your case. at 210 miles I can usually get 6 gals in the tank. I figure I get 35/37 mpg

The only time I got 6 gallons in my tank was when I pushed it to the pump after running out.  I can typically put in 5 gallons when the fuel light comes on.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Quote from: "Jim S"Good grief! And they told me my Varadero was greedy! THat's horrendous, at least the Varadero could return over 40mpg. Not much in it really, apart from the Varadero is far quicker than the Triumph.

What you failed to notice is that this gent comes from the land of the small gallon (USA). So 35/gall over there is about the same as 43 over here.

Anyway, I've had 259 miles before the light, cruising my way through some hilly bits of Spain. I do have a 19T front sprocket though. Which is nice!

My worst.....can't remember. I only remember the good bits.

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"The only time I got 6 gallons in my tank was when I pushed it to the pump after running out.  I can typically put in 5 gallons when the fuel light comes on.

You'd be unlikely to get 6 UK gallons in even if was dry. Triumph claim that it's a 24 litre tank. So 24x4.54=5.29 Gallons (UK).

Me? I get the fuel light at (almost exactly) 18 litres used = 4 gallons consistently. If you get 5 gallons in at the fuel light then the sender's adjusted wrong and you run the risk of a lot of "pushing it to the pumps".

NortonCharlie

Quote from: "Blacktiger"You'd be unlikely to get 6 UK gallons in even if was dry. Triumph claim that it's a 24 litre tank. So 24x4.54=5.29 Gallons (UK).

Me? I get the fuel light at (almost exactly) 18 litres used = 4 gallons consistently. If you get 5 gallons in at the fuel light then the sender's adjusted wrong and you run the risk of a lot of "pushing it to the pumps".

I'm using those little US gallonsand have almost exactly one of those little gallons left when the light comes on, and unlike many my Tigers fuel gage is the most accurate linier fuel gage I have ever had.  That is once you figure out the the light comes on at the bottom of the red and the needle continues to the stop at empty.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

iansoady

Quote from: "Blacktiger"If you get 5 gallons in at the fuel light then the sender's adjusted wrong and you run the risk of a lot of "pushing it to the pumps".

Adjusted? How do you do that then?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Onedownfiveup

I got 46 mpg after a tank and a half of riding today. I normally only put 2 gallons in it when I am just crusing around town. I have only done 1 full tank to light day and that was around 200 miles. Pretty damn good really. I think there is around 1.5 gallons left on the light for me.

I've got some serious monkey butt after today. Gotta get a corbin.
\'05 Lucifer, \'01 Stage 2 GP1200R,  \'96 WaveBlaster II, 2005 Viper SRT-10