News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuel light min and max

Started by Brother Number One, May 04, 2006, 03:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Number One

221, yesterday, a personal best  :!:

All with the misses on the back and most with the Touratechs.  I put it down to the very slow Morocco speed limits.

That's about 50mpg  :?:  :D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Jim S

HI folks, ok, UK gallons, well, I don't know! Pump puts out litres! Ha ha! Ok, I did a fair run this week, 212 until the light came on, half two up and half one up fairly quick miles. It took 18.6 litres to fill it to the neck, around £17.00, that equates to approx four UK gallons? Sounds too good to be true.

Possibly it was not completely to the neck last fill? perhaps not this time so a bit of variation either way but I believe doubtful under 50 MPG?

So, possibly better than the Varadero in fuel consumption, 45MPG touring, high speed? Well, scarey! 30's? Going by the speedo the Honda is still quicker, and yes, by far. On the straight flat the Varadero would pull to the rev limiter reading 135MPH, the Tiger, on the same straight will not pull over 125MPH. In my honest opinion slower to get there as well. I'm simply calling it as I see it. BHP isn't everything. The RD04 Africa twin has less ponies than the RD07 but is still quicker.

I'll take the Tiger in for re-mapping of the injection as I've fitted a race can this week so I'll let you all know if there's any improvement. I'm enjoying the bike fine, just pointing out my findings on a different bike to my last. The Tiger is the sweetest sounding bike I've ever owned, I prefer the note over my Fireblade! Hope nobodies offended.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Brother Number One

Without earplugs and luggage I can just about hear my engine on the standard can; great note.  I'll be interested to know how you get on with the race can and remap.  Which one ya gone for?  Fancy the CCC meself but need the Premium Bondage things to yield a little more first.

:D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

tigerhund

Yesterday, I rode from Decatur, AL, to my home in Central Florida, a distance of 640 miles.  All but about 15 miles of this was interstate highway and I consistently cruised in the 80-90 range, except for about 100 miles in central Georgia where I was in the rain and operated around 60 mph.    I have the one tooth larger front sprocket from Thunderbike, which appears to have done very little for my fuel consumption, but engine works less hard.

My fuel consumption history from yesterday:

Started with full tank

148 miles:  Fuel light

168 miles:  ran out of fuel going up hill.  Stopped, added my camp stove bottle of spare gas (I have done this before and was prepared).  

176 miles:  ran out at pump.  Added 6.2 US gallons:  28.4 mpg not counting spare fuel that carried me eight miles.

359 miles:  Fuel light

361 miles:  (185 since fill up) Added 5.47 gallons:  33.8 mpg

549 miles:  Fuel light

552 miles:  (191 since fill up) 5.42 gallons:  35.2 mpg

640 miles:  (88 since fill up) 2.4 gallons:  36.7 mpg

I love my Tiger, but the tank is too small.   I have 955i with race can and appropriate programming for it.  

MJ

Jim S

With the standard pipe I'm suprised you can hear it over the damned wind noise! I bought a Carbon can co stainless steel can? Go figure? You'd think it would be carbon? Ha ha!

I really loved the sound but got paranoid about it being too loud. So, I bought a decibel killer from Ebay, a short baffle pipe to bolt on to the end of the can. It's now reasonably noisy! Over 4000 revs it howls!

I'll take it to the dealers later in the week and se if I can get it re-mapped and let you know how I get on.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

jp4evr

Quote from: "tigerhund"I love my Tiger, but the tank is too small.   I have 955i with race can and appropriate programming for it.  

MJ

Perhaps your right wrist has a bit too much twist.  Honestly, fuel consumption like with any vehicle, is greatly influenced by one's use of the "go-pedal" "wrist twist" - whatever you want to call it.  

I operate almost exclusively below 5000 rpms and enjoy excellent MPG.  Race can, race tune, thunderbike bars, yada yada... of course, I only weigh 170 lbs so I'm not lugging a bunch of weight around.
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

jcm

Still in the running in period, but from full to light I got 220 did another 9 to the pump and it took 20litres to full so that works out at about 52mpg cant be bad to that :D

GatorTiger

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"
Quote from: "apache"I think not in your case. at 210 miles I can usually get 6 gals in the tank. I figure I get 35/37 mpg

The only time I got 6 gallons in my tank was when I pushed it to the pump after running out.  I can typically put in 5 gallons when the fuel light comes on.

I concur with Charlie! My tiger gauge is the most predictable, not necessarily 100% accurate to what it indicates. But then again that might be philosophical!

Gauge shows 1/2 full at the line: 2.5 gals (US) gone

Gauge hits top of the red area: 4 gals gone

Gauge hits the bottom of red area: 5 gals gone and light come on

That would leave 1 gal for the "reserve". Never ran dry up to this point. I have 19/44 sprockets and are usually easy on the gas (except in Atlanta traffic...  :twisted: ) Best ever for me was about 58 mpg (the truth!!) going 50-65 mph on side roads. Just came back from a 1300 mile trip to Indianapolis (work related - no trip report... Almost all the way I was in the rain) and was averaging 50 mpg doing 80 in the interstates...

Love my cat!!!!  8)
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

Green Geck0

I can usually sqeeze out ~400 miles per fill.   :lol:

Curtis Ross

Calgary, Alberta

Brother Number One

Would have matched a silver bike!  Nice set-up.  :D

GatorTiger

Quote from: "Brother Number One"Would have matched a silver bike!  Nice set-up.  :D

What Curtis didn't say is that this thing is carbonation-proof and hooks up to his camel back, not the tank... Cheers!!  8)
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

obxtiger

i've had my bike a year now 20,000 miles so far. i've checked every tank so far. i usually fill up at 200 miles. worst tank 42 mpg best tank 48 mpg. low fuel lights been on once and it made the check engine light come on. :shock:  oh well just my 2c worth.
beware world I\'ve now got a TIGER on the loose.

phragment

Just done 217 miles on 19 litres - that's 52mpg (Imperial). Almost all solo, never going over 5000rpm. Boring but economical I guess.