News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 tiger tyres & cans?????????

Started by malc, May 11, 2006, 09:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malc

Im looking @ swapping the can on my tiger as Ive been told it improves midrange & top end what are your opinions & advice on which can to go for triumph/scorpion/micron/blueflame?? do they need remapping by the dealer also???

Im also getting ready for a pair of tyres Im currently running michelin annakees which are great in the dry but not brilliant in the wet they have now done 4000miles & will do another 1500 tops on the rear.

I was going to go with tourances but ive been told that pilots work really well & drop the front 25mm & it makes a world of differnce.

My riding mainly consists of long 400mile days (just back from a 1400 tour of west coast scotland in 5 days) but I do like my bikes to handle Ive no complaints with the tigers handling  but if I can improve it then I may just have a play with things.

I also used to run the mez6 tyres on my old 1150R which were excellent tyres & if the pilots will fit the tiger what do you reckon to putting these on has anyone done that????

Any advice greatfully recived cheers Malc
its grrreaaattttttttt

ArizonaKid

Ah, the "which tires are best" discussion.  Well, if you do a search on the subject on this site you'll get more info than you can digest.  Seems that the answer to this question boils down to personal preference and where you do most of your riding (street, some dirt/gravel roads, etc, etc). Anyone who's been riding one of these beasts (or something similar) for any period of time has probably used different tires and formed opinions about all of them. I know I have.  Bottom line is there are a number of really good dual purpose MC tires in production these days, all with their particular strengths and weaknesses, but which ones are best for you at this point in time is almost impossible to say.  It really is a personal preferrence kind of thing, so any advice you might get from others should be taken with a grain of salt.  Good luck.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

jp4evr

here's my $.02 - since you asked....  :lol:

1) if I'm road only for summer riding - Michelin Pilot Road

2) I usually do 1 year on a set of tires so that will include the rainy season and for that - Scorpions have recently eclipsed Tourances as a preference from what I've been reading on mileage, etc.  

i love my current set of Tourances.  Sticky, good in dirt (fire roads and off-road parks, but only if it's dry).  If the dirt gets wet and muddy, they become slicks instantly and do not clear the tread blocks well.  

ride safe - eric
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

PaulBerg

Those are all good cans and yes you would need the race tune downloaded by the dealer for all of them - the Triumph can has these advantages:

- it looks standard so doesn't attract attention from you know who

- you retain the Triumph warranty

Look at Dunlop D607 (I am happy with mine) and the new Bridgestone Battlewing (getting rave reviews at the moment) - you get much better handling than an Anakee but can still venture onto trails. Pilot Road is good (from all reports) but you are confined to the tarmac.

Paul

Jim S

Hi folks, one month and 2000 miles on the 04 Tiger, I've had to replace the tyres, the Tourances were running out of lines. I've opted for the Michelin Anakees, I got a good price (for guys in NE Scotland £162 the pair from Sillets Aberdeen) so went with them. They're pretty aggressive tread so should be good for offroad use, also touched down the peg at a roundabout today so seem to be sure footed in the dry at least. I was going to go Bridgestone but all on offer was the Battle wing which was more road biased.

I changed the can for a CCC stainless last week and got the re-mapping done on Thursday, it made quite a difference, the bike seemed to be gagging at low revs when the throttle was opened, this is now cured and the bike doesn't hunt quite so badly at low revs, (ran ok with standard can). It does feel stronger pulling but without a dyno I can't prove it. Go for the race can, it does seem to improve the bike, tyre wise, it's a bit of a personal thing. I have ran Bridgestones for years but the last T66 Michelins on my Varadero were ok and the Anakees get a good write up.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Bob Burnett

Malc you have a pm
2006 Black Tiger

Bling Bling If it\'s Stainless Steel Polish it, If it,s not then replace it

Brother Number One

I have found the rear Anakee too soft for fully-loaded distance work.  I suspect the Tourance would have been better for me.  I shall, however, have to just get whatever I can in Gibraltar in a couple of weeks.  Hope it's not another Anakee.

:roll:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

bmbskee

I put Pilot Roads on mine and find them inferior to the original Anakees.  They seem harder and deflect/slip a LOT more when you hit the errant rock or reflector.  They also don't grip as well in the wet.  Further, they just don't inspire the same confidence the Anakees did.  Finally, I got over 9000 miles from the Anakees, but after 3k miles the Pilot Road is already squaring off pretty bad.  Granted, it's been winter and I've avoided the twisties, but I also put lots of freeway miles on the Anakee and they didn't square much at all.   I'd stick with the Anakees (pun intended), or maybe give Avon Azaro ST's a try.  They now have the 45ST in a 110/19 size.    Anyhow, for the intended use of the bike, I've done lots of peg-scraping with the Anakee and never, ever had a hint of slip.  They're about as good as it gets for this type of bike.

Brother Number One

Quote from: "bmbskee"give Avon Azaro ST's a try.

I loved these tyres on my Thundercat.  Very underrated in the UK.  I had every make of tyre on the Yam, at some point, and kept coming back to the Avons.  I'll be tempted to try Distanzias on the Tiger, less people tell me not to...  :P
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger