News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Crosswind Battles

Started by Wrangler, May 22, 2006, 04:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrangler

Today was an unusually cold day in Canada, 3 deg C in the morning 5am and maybe up to 9 tops.  But what the heck we had a planned 800K loop through  Northern Ontario.  By mid afternoon 250K from home conditions deteriorated.  We started punching home on a freeway and got caught in rain and a huge crosswind.  I've never been in anything like it.  Leaning into a sweep in the road an it would practically push you into the next lane( where other cars were).  It totally rattled me.  Funny thing is my mates didn't seem as bothered.   They were on a BMW 1200 and Honda 800.

Have any of you had similar battles or experiences?  Is this one of the Tiger's soft weakness's.  I've ridden through Plains in Calgary and Arizona but nothing like this.  I figure there were a few factors that made this worse for me than my mates.   They are:

Tiger has a larger cross-sectional area for cross-winds to catch and push  than most bikes.

Tiger has a higher center of gravity

Air density at these low temp's compounded  the effects of wind

I was cold and fatigued after 8+ hours out in those temps

My mate behind me commented that he could see I was really leaned over and fightin it
I\'ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

JRO

My last bike was a K1200lt (which are pure junk).  Fighting wind with the Tiger has been a breeze, compared to that thing.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Jim S

I've been out in the wind a few times with the Tiger but didn't think it was too bad? Compared to a smaller sports bike it would be worse I suppose, it's not as bad as my Africa twin though, it was the size of an ice cream truck! Damn, it caught the wind!

Something you might have to get used to mate, swings and roundabouts.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

TigerTrax

Well...

that sounds like a nice 'break-in' ride..... now you will appreciate the warmer, calmer, riding environment!

C'mon down to Jasper, Arkansas and you can put your 'leaning' to good use this Oct 12-14 at the Jasper Tiger Ride-In!

We need more Canadians to offset the Texans.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Brother Number One

I find the Tiger, if anything, particularly good in a sidewind.  It's never going to be the favourite riding condition, mind.  :roll:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Wrangler

I have concluded the biggest single factor was mild hypothermia.  Been readin how it impairs your judgement.  When I got off the bike I had the shakes for a good 10 15 minutes even indoors.

Like I said, I've been in a lot of nasty cross-wind conditions before.  Don't like it but this one was over the top.

thanks to all who replied
I\'ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

Brother Number One

Quote from: "Wrangler"I have concluded the biggest single factor was mild hypothermia.  

I've got so cold I've felt funny, plenty of times.  Sometimes I've taken my lid off and my whole head has seemed cold to the touch.  Scary that we ride like this  :roll:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Bruincounselor

Quote from: Brother Number OneSometimes I've taken my lid off and my whole head has seemed cold to the touch.  

I've also had problems with cold fingers at cash machines not activating the heat sensitive touch pads. Heated grips solved that problem.

Bruincounselor
Bruin\'

3Rider

I was in  southern Ontario that day too, Wrangler, and those were some exceptional winds. New to the Tiger though I may be, I suspect you hit the nail on the head with your suspicion about the high centre of gravity. But we won't see too many days like that.

BTW, I picked up an electric vest in Montreal for $99. With a quick adaptation to make the thing fit these funny socket and the heated grips, a 7 hour ride home in 4C at 140kph in early April was a breeze, so to speak. Adds six weeks to the riding season.

Cheers from Ottawa and thanks for all that GST.

Rob
...fearful symmetri