News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

AWESOME Fuel Mileage !!!

Started by Patrick the Scot, May 24, 2006, 02:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

I just got back from a 4-day trip to southwest Colorado (full ride report later) and got some fuel mileage that was really good.  Had I not seen and done it myself I would have a hard time believing it.  Therefor, I will give all supporting evidence that I can muster.

May 23, 2006

I left downtown Santa Fe, New Mexico a 1100 hours - Fuel Tank Fuel

1) US 84 to Clines Corners, average speed - 80mph, with 20mph 2/3 side wind and 1/3 tail wind

2) I-40 to Santa Rosa, average speed 95mph with 25mph full tail wind

3) US 84 to Fort Sumner, average speed 80mph with 30mph full side wind

4) US 60/84 to Texico, average speed 75mph wtih 30mph 3/4 tail wind

I arrived in Texico, New Mexico (east of Clovis) at about 1500 hours and fueled up. Above average speeds do not include lunch/water break slow traffic in Fort Sumner and Clovis, and one 5-mile construction area just west of Fort Sumner

Trip odometer - 151 in Santa Fe, 373 in Texico, New Mexico

Ambient temp Santa Fe - 60 F, Texico - 100 F

Total miles - 222

Fuel needed - 4.27 gals

Fuel Mileage - 52 MPG

With the Triumph Off-Road pipe and Off-road Tune!

Other mileage on this trip was 48, 45 and 58 MPG.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

¥TigerTamer?

I can verify similar figures.  I just got back from a 3-day 1300 mile ride in Southwest Colorado and riding with loaded bags AND a passenger, averaging 75mph on the highway - I was getting 50 - 52 mpg.

Isn't it AWESOME!

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i

2004 Triumph Daytona 955i SE (sold)

1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 (RIP)

tigerowner_ut

MPG is definitely awesome.

Low  39 MPG

High 60 MPG

Avg  47 MPG
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)

Brother Number One

60 mpg (US) is very impressive.  Someone do the math(s) and tell us what that is in (imp)  :?:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

stanegoli

I average 45 mpg on local rides (mostly rural, some city at start/return) and 50 mpg on the open road.

I really like that 50 figure!

This is on an '06 with 6500 miles.

BykBoy

I don't know where you guys are comming up with these numbers. I get 38-42 MPG 2001 with modified airbox, off raod can and tune and a 19 T front sprocket.

50 MPG is more then 300 miles per tank. I can't believe that to be possible on the Tiger.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

I've recently done 59mpg (UK gallons) on 2 consecutive tank fulls. That's 236 miles before the fuel light. But, I'm cheating by having a 19T front sprocket. I do regularly get low 50's whilst enjoying myself.

stanegoli

Quote:

"50 MPG is more then 300 miles per tank. I can't believe that to be possible on the Tiger."

I was astonished too, but am absolutely sure this is accurate. In any event not that surprising considering I average 45mpg overall.

klingklang

I saw  that you've got some high temp over there. I notice that my tiger is very affected by the ambiant temperature. Up here, I can start riding when the temp is around 20-25 F in the spring.  My consumtion is then close to 30% more than in the hot summer day.  I dont know if I'm alone , if it is normal but probably the same for you.   sorry for my english.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "klingklang"I saw  that you've got some high temp over there. I notice that my tiger is very affected by the ambiant temperature. Up here, I can start riding when the temp is around 20-25 F in the spring.  My consumtion is then close to 30% more than in the hot summer day.  I dont know if I'm alone , if it is normal but probably the same for you.   sorry for my english.

Yes, in the winter the bike gets lower MPG.  My guess is the computer tells the injectors to dump more fuel the colder air is, i.e. the cold air is more dense with more oxygen, thus requiring more fuel to maintain a constant fuel ratio.

And your english is perfectly acceptable.  Hell, mine isn't to polished somtimes!
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "BykBoy"I don't know where you guys are comming up with these numbers. I get 38-42 MPG 2001 with modified airbox, off raod can and tune and a 19 T front sprocket.

50 MPG is more then 300 miles per tank. I can't believe that to be possible on the Tiger.

Let me make some assumptions about your situation the would have a direct causation on fuel mileage.

1) You live in in the D.C. area, at or near see level. This requires the computer to richen in order to maintain constant fuel/air ratio.  Therefor you use more fuel but get the benefit of more power.

2) You have constant traffic, stop and go.  Overcoming interia (object at rest) requires more fuel.

3) You ride in areas that have constant twists and turns (very fun) Twisties and turns eat up momentum requiring more fuel to keep a constant speed.

The above three assumptions all affect fuel mileage.  Look at what I said in my initial report as far as supporting evidence for the fuel mileage...

1) I logged the entire 222 miles between 7500' and 4200' ASL in elevation. The computer leaned out the mix considerably.

2) No stop and go traffic except in Santa Fe and Clovis - briefly.  I never had to overcome the inertia of an object at rest but three times in 222 miles - Santa Fe, Santa Rosa, and Clovis.

3) No twists of turns - look at a map of the route. I never lost the momentum of foward motion while in motion.

4) I did have a wind advantage on I-40 doing 95 MPH.  Believe me this is significant.

5) The ambient temperature was quite high for the second half of the ride.  When I pulled into Texico it was at least 100 F.  This will cause the atmosphere to be thinner and thus the reduction of fuel to maintain constant fuel ratio.

Further, I got 58 MPG on the run from Durango-Silverton-Ouray-Montrose-Gunnison-Salida, Colorado two days before.  This run is never below 7000' ASL.  Some of the passes are above 11,000' ASL. This day was particularly warm for the elevation.  And let me say, I was on the hammer on the up hill drag of all the passes, and I still averged 58 MPG.  Duaner was there for the whole ride. No need to embellish here.

Could it be that the Tiger's computer has a very sensitive fuel/air ratio program? Is the following fact or fiction: high elevations and warm air equal extraordinary fuel mileage?

On another note, I shot 5 hours of digital 8 tape from my cockpit-mounted camera.  I am going to edit it down on my computer. I will try to post it somewhere.  Included on tape is me and my buddy Duane (K1200 LT) blowing the chrome off of a bunch of Harleys on Monarch Pass.  Also, the Ducatis could not catch us on Monarch Pass.  El Tigre is ever so capable!

Renman

Patrick,

Your details make sense to me.  Living in the Chicago area I typically see average MPG around 40-42, with plenty of power out of the bike for my riding style.

On a trip to Colorado and back last year, I definitely noticed an increase in MPG after getting into Golden.  I was seeing 49-52 the whole week I was out there.  However, as you pointed out, the power was reduced.  Returning to Chicago I saw the MPG go down and the perceived power go up.

Mark

barjan

For the calculations:

1 mi = 1,609 km

1 gallon (us) = 3,785 li

1 gallon (im) = 4,546 li

My tiger uses approx. 17,5 km/li = 41 mpg (us) = 49 mpg (im) at sea level. Highway speeds around 115 km/hour (71 mi/h). (offroad can and tune). Easy style or really agressesive doesn't seem to effect much. Temperature does (winter around 0 oC /summer 22 oC).

On vacation in the mountains it always is a lot better. Somewhere in the twentys km/li (I don't really keep track, there are many more bikes with smaller fuelltanks).

I don't ride very agressive normally. I stoped worring about mpg. Can't seem to effect it only to move to a warm climate somewhere high up a slope.

Ergo, Patrick I guess your right .

JOHNNY G

I would say that 50+ is the norm up here in the high country. It is always somewhat annoying how much people I ride with have to stop. TIGERS RULE AGAIN! :D/
Johnny G

2002 Dew Green- Triumph Tiger

BULLman

Quote from: "JOHNNY G"It is always somewhat annoying how much people I ride with have to stop. TIGERS RULE AGAIN! :D/

OTH, I'm sure the people you're riding with are annoyed with how little you stop.  :roll:  

Not to start a fight, but if its suppose to be a fun ride....

it should be fun!   :D just my .02.
BULLman

\'02 Tiger