News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

AWESOME Fuel Mileage !!!

Started by Patrick the Scot, May 24, 2006, 02:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "BULLman"
Quote from: "JOHNNY G"It is always somewhat annoying how much people I ride with have to stop. TIGERS RULE AGAIN! :D/

OTH, I'm sure the people you're riding with are annoyed with how little you stop.  :roll:  

Not to start a fight, but if its suppose to be a fun ride....

it should be fun!   :D just my .02.

Do like me and my K1200LT buddy: ride like all hell, blowing the chrome off of every Harley we can reel in and then stop and laugh our arses off about it. That is what we did on Monarch pass. Every HD was working its guts out to make it up the west side.  Then here comes Blue Streak (K1200) and El Tigre just picking 'em off all the way up.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

JOHNNY G

What is OTH? "Annoy" may have been a poor choice of words. My fun meter is about pegged out. What does stopping have to do with riding?
Johnny G

2002 Dew Green- Triumph Tiger

JRO

I have an '06, and now that hot weather has hit (85-95F), I have noticed some actual change in the way the engine feels.  

I still find these reports of 50-60 mpg a little hard to believe, as I've never gotten over 40mpg, myself.  35-39mpg, most of the time.  Also, in my experience, a bike (or car) gets lower fuel mileage at higher altitudes; not greater.

It's not that I think you guys are making it up, but I am curious as to your method of checking fuel mileage.  If you are depending on the gas guage and figuring it from there, then you're in trouble.  If you're relying on some add-on bike computer, then I wish you luck.  If you're 'guessing' how much fuel you've used between stops, better guess again.

About the only way to really check your mileage is to fill 'er to the top, ride a while, check mileage, and fill 'er back to the top.  Then you know how much fuel you've used.  Or, you can fill 'er up, and run it all out (if you know actual tank capacity).  Then you can figure your mileage, and walk to the nearest station.

I imagine yah'll ere using this method, but I just thought I'd check.  If you do, and you're STILL getting 50-60mpg, then I'm envious, and a bit concerned.  How can there be THIS much variation in gas mileage, between bikes, weather, and riders?  5-10mpg I could understand, but much more just seems ridiculous.

Now, I have an '06; everything's stock.  I usually ride with all three luggage cases.  I doubt I 'ride' very different from most of you.  I welcome any observations or advice, but honestly, I kind of doubt you guys are giving accurate figures.  Convince me otherwise.
JRO

2006 Tiger

wasions

JRO,

I was also sort of questioning the veracity of those figures, but as my '06 gets more miles on it, the fuel usage seems to be getting (much) better.  I had been getting 40~44, and now it seems that most of the time I'm getting 44~46.  Longer trips recently has also had some effect, no doubt.  I've actually seen one tank at nearly 49 mpg.

The Tiger has about 4,3XX miles at this time.
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "JRO"1) I have an '06, and now that hot weather has hit (85-95F), I have noticed some actual change in the way the engine feels.  

2) I still find these reports of 50-60 mpg a little hard to believe, as I've never gotten over 40mpg, myself.  35-39mpg, most of the time.  Also, in my experience, a bike (or car) gets lower fuel mileage at higher altitudes; not greater.

3) It's not that I think you guys are making it up, but I am curious as to your method of checking fuel mileage.  If you are depending on the gas guage and figuring it from there, then you're in trouble.  If you're relying on some add-on bike computer, then I wish you luck.  If you're 'guessing' how much fuel you've used between stops, better guess again.

About the only way to really check your mileage is to fill 'er to the top, ride a while, check mileage, and fill 'er back to the top.  Then you know how much fuel you've used.  Or, you can fill 'er up, and run it all out (if you know actual tank capacity).  Then you can figure your mileage, and walk to the nearest station.

4) I imagine yah'll ere using this method, but I just thought I'd check.  If you do, and you're STILL getting 50-60mpg, then I'm envious, and a bit concerned.  How can there be THIS much variation in gas mileage, between bikes, weather, and riders?  5-10mpg I could understand, but much more just seems ridiculous.

5) Now, I have an '06; everything's stock.  I usually ride with all three luggage cases.  I doubt I 'ride' very different from most of you.  I welcome any observations or advice, but honestly, I kind of doubt you guys are giving accurate figures.  Convince me otherwise.

I'll take your points as you stated them. I took the liberty of numerating them as well.

1) You  have an '06. I have an '05. Close, but not exactly the same.

2) You are getting 39 MPG or below.  You also provide no details for said miles. Also, do a little reading on volumetric efficiency and fuel-air ratios coupled with modern fuel injection mapping and you may see that you are missing something here.

3) My method of checking MPG is as standard and accurate as it gets.  Anybody that can not check MPG properly is a helpless individual having limited hope of getting along in the world.  Your suggestion that we don't know how to check MPG misses the reality in my initial post.  I said that I logged 222 miles and used 4.27 gallons. How do you suppose that I came up with 4.27 gallons? By looking at the fuel gauge?  FYI, the fuel gauge is a nice decoration on the dash: don't ever trust it.  You must know you bike and fuel up at mileage points, not by the gauge.

But, anyway, thank you for the explanation on how to check MPG.  Somewhere between Industerial Design gradutate school at Purdue University and the future I might hit my head really hard in a dirt-bike crash that causes brain damage.  If I should find myself mentally retarded in the future I will check your post in order to brush up on the rudiments of checking MPG.

4) Your method is my method, and yes I got up to 58 MPG on this last trip.  Yes, you should be envious because 39 MPG, and lower, is fairly poor fuel mileage for a Tiger.  Cripes, even a Harley Davidson will do close to that.

5) What is our (yes, "our" as in plural) motive for giving anything but the truth about my MPG.  You tell more about yourself here.  You are getting poor MPG, therefore us guys with great fuel mileage must be making it up?

Further questions for your poor fuel mileage situation:

Do you burn Super octane or lower octane?

Are you tires at correct air pressure or incorrect?

Are you riding the rear brake or not?

Is your chain gummed up or crispy clean with a light film lubricant like mine?

Is you bike brand new with a tight motor or does it have 8500+ miles and spin freely like mine?

Do you run your bike in the "sweet spot" (hp and torque curve intersection) or do you lug the motor?  You can actually get better fuel mileage at faster speeds, if you are in the optimum power producing RPM.  I had a VW Fox that got way better MPG at 80 MPH that at 60 MPH.

Let us know what you come up with.  If I don't hear from you we can hash it out in person at the Tiger Ride-In in Durango, Colorado - September 14,15, and 16, 2006.  Nothing I'd rather do than drink about 4-6 Guinness Stouts and argue about MPG around a campfire... :lol:
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"
Quote from: "JRO"1) I have an '06, and now that hot weather has hit (85-95F), I have noticed some actual change in the way the engine feels.  

2) I still find these reports of 50-60 mpg a little hard to believe, as I've never gotten over 40mpg, myself.  35-39mpg, most of the time.  Also, in my experience, a bike (or car) gets lower fuel mileage at higher altitudes; not greater.

3) It's not that I think you guys are making it up, but I am curious as to your method of checking fuel mileage.  If you are depending on the gas guage and figuring it from there, then you're in trouble.  If you're relying on some add-on bike computer, then I wish you luck.  If you're 'guessing' how much fuel you've used between stops, better guess again.

4) I imagine yah'll ere using this method, but I just thought I'd check.  If you do, and you're STILL getting 50-60mpg, then I'm envious, and a bit concerned.  How can there be THIS much variation in gas mileage, between bikes, weather, and riders?  5-10mpg I could understand, but much more just seems ridiculous.

5) Now, I have an '06; everything's stock.  I usually ride with all three luggage cases.  I doubt I 'ride' very different from most of you.  I welcome any observations or advice, but honestly, I kind of doubt you guys are giving accurate figures.  Convince me otherwise.

I'll take your points as you stated them. I took the liberty of numerating them as well.

1) You  have an '06. I have an '05. Close, but not exactly the same.

2) You are getting 39 MPG or below.  You also provide no details for said miles. Also, do a little reading on volumetric efficiency and fuel-air ratios coupled with modern fuel injection mapping and you may see that you are missing something here.

3) My method of checking MPG is as standard and accurate as it gets.  Anybody that can not check MPG properly is a helpless individual having limited hope of getting along in the world.  Your suggestion that we don't know how to check MPG misses the reality in my initial post.  I said that I logged 222 miles and used 4.27 gallons. How do you suppose that I came up with 4.27 gallons? By looking at the fuel gauge?  FYI, the fuel gauge is a nice decoration on the dash: don't ever trust it.  You must know you bike and fuel up at mileage points, not by the gauge.

But, anyway, thank you for the explanation on how to check MPG.  Somewhere between Industerial Design gradutate school at Purdue University and the future I might hit my head really hard in a dirt-bike crash that causes brain damage.  If I should find myself mentally retarded in the future I will check your post in order to brush up on the rudiments of checking MPG.

4) Your method is my method, and yes I got up to 58 MPG on this last trip.  Yes, you should be envious because 39 MPG, and lower, is fairly poor fuel mileage for a Tiger.  Cripes, even a Harley Davidson will do close to that.

5) What is our (yes, "our" as in plural) motive for giving anything but the truth about my MPG.  You tell more about yourself here.  You are getting poor MPG, therefore us guys with great fuel mileage must be making it up?

Further questions for your poor fuel mileage situation:

Are you tires at correct air pressure or incorrect?

Are you riding the rear brake or not?

Is your chain gummed up or crispy clean with a light film lubricant like mine?

Is you bike brand new with a tight motor or does it have 8500+ miles and spin freely like mine?

Do you run your bike in the "sweet spot" (hp and torque curve intersection) or do you lug the motor?  You can actually get better fuel mileage at faster speeds, if you are in the optimum power producing RPM.  I had a VW Fox that got way better MPG at 80 MPH that at 60 MPH.

Let us know what you come up with.  If I don't hear from you we can hash it out in person at the Tiger Ride-In in Durango, Colorado - September 14,15, and 16, 2006.  Nothing I'd rather do than drink about 4-6 Guinness Stouts and argue about MPG around a campfire... :lol:

JRO

Quote2) You are getting 39 MPG or below. You also provide no details for said miles. Also, do a little reading on volumetric efficiency and fuel-air ratios coupled with modern fuel injection mapping and you may see that you are missing something here.

I ride 250-300 days a year, so 'trip reports' seem a bit silly, to me. I rarely use a car anymore; numerous progeny always appropriate autos. I usually travel between 65-80mph hiway; 30-50mph local.  Road surfaces generally good, and primarily linear, but occasionally serpentine. 30% passenger transport. Temps since Oct. anywhere from 30's to mid-70's.  Last couple of months, temps increasing, 60's to mid-90's (F). Wind usually from the SW, average velocity between 5-30mph, but sometimes as high as 50+. Sunshine on some days, but occasional cloudiness. Humidity variable, between 30-100%.  Precipitation increasing over the last few months.  Altitude 400-800 feet.  Deer population high, restricting night travel speeds to 30-50mph.  Frequent grocery or sundry cargo, but usually on runs of less than 5 miles.  Traffic generally light, but travel through some small/medium metropolitan areas higher.  Frequent low mileage travel of under 50miles; often travel of over 100miles, with occasional travel in excess of 300miles.

Quote3) My method of checking MPG is as standard and accurate as it gets. Anybody that can not check MPG properly is a helpless individual having limited hope of getting along in the world. Your suggestion that we don't know how to check MPG misses the reality in my initial post. I said that I logged 222 miles and used 4.27 gallons. How do you suppose that I came up with 4.27 gallons? By looking at the fuel gauge? FYI, the fuel gauge is a nice decoration on the dash: don't ever trust it. You must know you bike and fuel up at mileage points, not by the gauge.

But, anyway, thank you for the explanation on how to check MPG. Somewhere between Industerial Design gradutate school at Purdue University and the future I might hit my head really hard in a dirt-bike crash that causes brain damage. If I should find myself mentally retarded in the future I will check your post in order to brush up on the rudiments of checking MPG.

You should really get out into the world a little more.  I don't want to frighten you into an apoplexy, but it's FILLED with people who can't reliably estimate fuel consumption.  You are SURROUNDED by them.  They are EVERYWHERE - just like bacteria.  They might not can pour water out of a boot, or pee a proper hole in the snow (when full of beer), but they do seem to get along, somehow.  Just because a lot of them are stupid, doesn't mean they're helpless.  Some of them dig ditches, and some of them have PhD's.  Some of them draw Welfare, and some of them draw remittance.  Some of them eat meat, and there are even those who eat tofu.  They live everywhere from under bridges, to trailer houses, to mansions.  Sheesh; some of them even manage to get rich, despite their handicaps.  They might be clueless, and can't figure gas mileage properly, but the majority of them seem to share one thing in common:  They can 'surf the web'.

And some of those people... ride motorcycles.

They are all around you, even now.  As you read this, they are CLOSING IN.

It's okay; most of them don't mean anybody any harm.

In any event, I was happy to provide for you an explanation of method for checking fuel mileage, for your future, possible reference, should some neurological event precipitate memory or intelligence loss.  If you would like a more complete, step-by-step explanation, please let me know.  But, since you apparently DO know, you might consider writing the method down on a card, or something.  Just in case you damage your brain, that is.

Quote4) Your method is my method, and yes I got up to 58 MPG on this last trip. Yes, you should be envious because 39 MPG, and lower, is fairly poor fuel mileage for a Tiger. Cripes, even a Harley Davidson will do close to that.

I can't fault your method.

Experience with Harleys would show you that they actually get very good gas mileage.  Harley used to win all those mpg competitions, after all.

Quote5) What is our (yes, "our" as in plural) motive for giving anything but the truth about my MPG. You tell more about yourself here. You are getting poor MPG, therefore us guys with great fuel mileage must be making it up?

'Our' - yes.  'Our', as in you 'high mileage getters'.

I never accused HMG's of outright prevarication, or of any conspiracy to commit fraud.  As I said, I was "curious" as to your method of checking mpg.  The reasons for that were simple:

1. My mpg is not so high.

2. Most Tiger owners don't report such high mpg.

There are many cyclists out there who often over-estimate, exaggerate, or misconstrue facts, through sheer enthusiasm.  Even more levelheaded people make regular mistakes, through error, or method.  Most of us have done the former, and all the later.  That doesn't make HMG's liars, or mean that they are inaccurate; I merely found such reports hard to believe, because it is (so far), outside my experience with these bikes.

Then, of course, there are those water-in-the-boot people out there...  I've heard from some of them things like adding aspirin to your tank can double your mileage.  When asked what brand of aspirin, I received the answer: "Bayer seems to work the best".

QuoteFurther questions for your poor fuel mileage situation:

I use the recommended 89 octane.

QuoteAre you tires at correct air pressure or incorrect?

I maintain the correct air pressure in both tires.

QuoteAre you riding the rear brake or not?

No, but I sometimes drag a boat anchor behind me, just in case I run off into a lake.

QuoteIs your chain gummed up or crispy clean with a light film lubricant like mine?

It sounds like you may be using WD-40 to lubricate your chain.  I would recommend that you switch to a commercial, spray-on motorcycle chain lubricant.  There are many such products available, and they are a less of a sticky mess than the ones that were around, years ago.  Any cycle shop, and even most auto parts stores, carry such.  You can usually find it in Wal-Mart, too.  

There are also several models of automatic oilers, that drip oil onto the chain as the bike is ridden.  The 'Scottoiler' is a popular example.  Many riders choose this option, for the constant lubrication it provides.

I go with the spray-on type lube, myself. The automatic systems are a bit messy, to me.

QuoteIs you bike brand new with a tight motor or does it have 8500+ miles and spin freely like mine?

Do you run your bike in the "sweet spot" (hp and torque curve intersection) or do you lug the motor? You can actually get better fuel mileage at faster speeds, if you are in the optimum power producing RPM. I had a VW Fox that got way better MPG at 80 MPH that at 60 MPH.

My Tiger has almost 6,800 miles on it.  I sincerely hope that you are correct in your implication, and that my economy will improve as mileage accumulates.

I'm not certain if my engine 'spins as freely' as yours, but I worry... Surely, you aren't using WD-40 in your motor, also?  That might explain your high mileage, but it will also reduce the life expectancy of your engine.

I will not discuss 'sweet spots', with my wife in the house.

I don't know about Volkswagens, or any other kind of dinkmobile.  If any of my old cars ever got better than 8-12mpg, then it was time to do something to get that mileage back down to a healthy, high horsepower-producing consumption.  You can't run 12's on the street with a dinkmobile, and anything with less than 300hp is a dinkmobile.  If all those dinkmobile drivers had stayed at home, where they've belonged since '65, and left the streets to serious motorists (whom they were built for in the first place), with a purpose and need to shake some ground, then I wouldn't be paying nearly $3 a gallon for piss-unleaded gas, or worrying about the fuel economy of motorcycles.  The kind of people who would drive dinkmobiles got no business cluttering up the streets and hiways of America, and this country would have been better served if they weren't allowed to drive, or pollute the world with their numbers of dinky, 'fuel-efficient' (how can it be efficient, when 150million of them are congesting the roads?), ersatz 'cars' in the first place.  The 'dinkmobileer' is the virus among us, responsible for everything from gas shortages, to oil wars.  They're always in the way, never got no business going anywhere, and have wasted all the cheap fuel that was needed for real automobiles.

QuoteLet us know what you come up with. If I don't hear from you we can hash it out in person at the Tiger Ride-In in Durango, Colorado - September 14,15, and 16, 2006. Nothing I'd rather do than drink about 4-6 Guinness Stouts and argue about MPG around a campfire...

So far, I have concluded this:

1. HMG's may always have 65mph tailwinds.

2. They may make mathematical errors when calculating mpg.

3. Enthusiasm may influence them to exaggerate mpg.

3. They report accurate, factual results, but this has no bearing on real-world riding.

4. The high mpg feature of the Triumph Tiger seems to only be available in certain States.

5. They could be riding Honda Caminos, with 'Triumph' painted on the side.

6. They may be using Imperial units, since they ride an Imperial motorcycle.

7. I should try using Imperial units.

8. There may be considerable speedometer variation between bikes and/or modelyear.

9. There may be a tremendous variation between bike and/or modelyear FI brains.

10. My own mileage may improve measurably, given time.

I probably won't make it to Durango, and I would advise you not to drink, while there.  Last time I was through that place illegal aliens, or artists, or Ward Churchill, or somebody was running around killing people, as some kind of protest.  The whole place is about to fall off into the Pacific Ocean, anyway.

I may attend the Jasper Ride-In, in Oct., but even that's problematical. And I only drink rainwater, or pure, unadulterated tetra-ethyl lead.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Brother Number One

Poised on the periphery of this thread; unsure whether to stride in with plenty of 'alright lads, calm it down' or clap and shout 'gee on, gerrin there.'

:shock:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

wasions

Heh.  I think I like you guys.   :lol:
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "wasions"Heh.  I think I like you guys.   :lol:

If we are still fighting then you know that we are still ALIVE and KICKING.

I must say that JRO has a real sense of humor, wit, and sarcasim.  I'll call it a draw as good points were scored on both sides.  Of course, I can't just leave it there: I made the assumption that " a light film of lubricant" does not mean WD-40.  I assume that it goes w/o saying that WD-40 is not o-ring compatible. However, as JRO said, we are surround by tofu-eating, motorcycle-riding bacteria.  I shouldn't assume anything.

I still want to hash it out in person, though.  You really ought to consider coming up to Durango in September.  Some of the grandest vistas in the 48 and some very technically challenging mountian passes to run. Granted, Colorado is full of Coloradans, but for the most part they are a friendly and accomodating sort, all be it in their own unique way.

JRO

Yah'll misinterpet; I'm not fighting with anyone.  If I didn't like someone's post, I wouldn't reply, or read another one.  Get a sense of humor.

I just find 58mpg at 95mph a little hard to believe, is all.  And then some guy comes along, and claims 60mpg.  You know Consumer Reports is all over those "Hybrid" dinkmobiles, because they only get half the advertised mileage, and the things are really no more economical than the comparible gas-only models?  

Ah, but the pinko-commie eco-freaks still love the things.  Sheesh - I don't want them switching over to Triumph motorcycles, too.  I already know of one Speed Triple-riding vegetarian; picture that!  How can you ride a street-fighter, with nothing in your digestive tract except tabouli and three-bean salad?  Maybe everyone should claim these bikes POLLUTE.  I don't want no high-mileage Triumphs, if commies are going to start using 'em.  I'll pour a pint of transmission fluid in every tank, if that's what it takes to keep the Greenies away.

WD-40 may be O-ring chain compatible.  I've read from some guys who ride without using any lubricant.  Yeah, they're mostly Brits.  They claim the chain lasts just as long.  If true, I guess it wouldn't make any difference what you put on a chain, as long as it wasn't abrasive.  I don't buy the no-lube theory, but they could be right.

Yeah, and I might quit smoking, too.  Why not?  I've quit everything else since I've caught the bird flu, and am running this fever.  It's Saturday, and if my head wasn't so congested, I would go out and WASTE gas.
JRO

2006 Tiger

1999_Black_885i

Am i missing the point here ?

Does everyone really spend so much time and effort worrying about fuel consumption and more to the point squabbling like little kids about if this or that is possible...and classicly come out with statements like ...

"is the chain lubed the same as mine etc" LMFAO

Oh my god. WAKE UP !!!

Ermm my reminder is this.

You have the bike. Ride it and enjoy it !!

I could not tell you what any of my bikes or cars does to the gallon !!

I dont really care. Over here in the "LAND OF PLENTY"  the chancellor is already robbing me blind with fuel duty anyway.

Sort yourselves out .Stop squabbling. Ride and ENJOY !!

JRO

Quote from: "1999_Black_885i"Am i missing the point here ?

Does everyone really spend so much time and effort worrying about fuel consumption and more to the point squabbling like little kids about if this or that is possible

What would be the point of posting, if we couldn't squabble? You'd have a whole forum full of posts like this:

'Garmin'

'Garmin Mount'

'Garmin's Newest'

'Garmin's Newest Mount'

'My New Shoei'

'Best Boots 4 Riding'

'Cupholders'

'Riding Suits Revealed'

'Oil'

'Tires'

'Penis Length Survey'

Quote...and classicly come out with statements like ...

"is the chain lubed the same as mine etc" LMFAO

Nah... I thought the one about 'riding the brake' was funniest.

QuoteErmm my reminder is this.

You have the bike. Ride it and enjoy it !!

You are quite right.

QuoteI could not tell you what any of my bikes or cars does to the gallon !!

I dont really care. Over here in the "LAND OF PLENTY"  the chancellor is already robbing me blind with fuel duty anyway.

I quite agree.

QuoteSort yourselves out .Stop squabbling. Ride and ENJOY !!

Okay, have a nice day.
JRO

2006 Tiger

jmoonx14

I can't just let this thread die! It's too damn fun.  

I will get a chance to see if JRO does indeed ride his brakes, tug a para-sail,  forget he has a 5th and 6th gear, or use stick-em on his tires to degrade his mileage. Both of us residing in N.E. OK means that we have to ride together at some point (right JRO?). Hell, I am itching to get over into the Ozarks after my break-in so I will keep ya posted.

Thus far my mileage seems pretty impressive as I have half a tank left and 135 miles showing on the ODO. I can only assume that the fuel gage is a bit thin at the bottom/thick at the top, because if I get 270 miles on my first tank of gas (the 135 miles I mentioned are my first ever on this bike) I will be thrilled indeed. Granted, the kid who topped 'er off before I picked it up did squeeze in more fuel than he should have. I couldn't have spit in it without it overflowing.

BTW, I washed my Tiger for the first time today and I spent an extra 5 minutes buffing the headlights with Turtlewax because that alone will give me an extra 10 MPG from what I calculated using my low speed fluid dynamics book from engineering school.

RAWK!
~ Joel

\'06 Tiger 955i armed with Oly E-500 dSLR and Oly Mu 810

JRO

Quote from: "jmoonx14"I can't just let this thread die! It's too damn fun.  

I will get a chance to see if JRO does indeed ride his brakes, tug a para-sail,  forget he has a 5th and 6th gear, or use stick-em on his tires to degrade his mileage. Both of us residing in N.E. OK means that we have to ride together at some point (right JRO?). Hell, I am itching to get over into the Ozarks after my break-in so I will keep ya posted....

...BTW, I washed my Tiger for the first time today and I spent an extra 5 minutes buffing the headlights with Turtlewax because that alone will give me an extra 10 MPG from what I calculated using my low speed fluid dynamics book from engineering school.

RAWK!

I will be over that way, Saturday.

I won't race around these wooded hills over here, however.  The lousy deer are just too thick. I've had some pretty good scares, and DO NOT intend to have more (my wife calls me a 'deer magnet').  I may not be sensible on an open highway, but I will not fool around where those vermin are likely.

I have friends around Lake Tennkiller... Lots of deer-bike accidents around that place, last year. ( Lots of bike accidents, of all kinds).

The Tahlemina Drive may be swell, anytime of year. They don't advertise how many folks hit deer with their GoldWings, each year.

My sister lives S. of Joplin. Those abominations the State of Missourri calls 'roads' are bad enough... Without the deer.

I can get home from Tulsa after dark a little faster on the BA, but I will rarely ride over 50mph, when I switch off by Muskogee to head towards  Tahlequah. I just plain won't go through Wagner/Hulbert, after dark.

You probably already know all this, but if not; take it to heart. Please.

By the way, they capture and dump deer into these game reserves over my way, from State Parks, fancy lake home areas, and they've even brought the filthy vermin up this way from as far South as Texas (I guess so Patrick Scott can ride safer). I've heard they were 'repopulating' Gruber with some Red Deer from Texas. And those things are really stupid - they'll stand right by the road, and not run when a car goes by.

Last year, there were several deer ran over, here in town. One not two hundred yards from my house.

Why am I worked up about deer, again?  Well, last night while I was coming into town, I saw one hit by some kind of service truck, just ahead of me in the other lane. If the truck hadn't been there...

Anyway, yeah - I'll ride through the Ozarks with you.  I'll probably be waaay behind.
JRO

2006 Tiger