News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rip off

Started by Clemski, June 11, 2006, 03:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clemski

I've just got back from Normandy in France, brilliant, I would recommend it to everyone. Fantastic roads, countryside and drivers who look out for bikes, all in all did about 800 miles in five days, saw and spoke to a few other Tiger riders, the overwhelming opinion is every body who has a Tiger loves them.

Before I went the Tiger had her 24000 mile service, I was expecting a bit of a bill, when I picked her up, the final bill was £600.00, I will not be going back there again. Is it only us Brits who get ripped of with servicing prices. When I had my GS, I thought BM prices were high, but never paid a bill like this one. Is it because there are not to many Triumph dealers around and the one's in London think they can charge what the hell they like. :(
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

Chris Canning

You've got it in one!!

greg

Well my 04 has just left warranty period so am thinking of doing as much as poss myself from now on. To their credit though the selling dealer wrote to me two weeks before expiry and asked if I wanted to take the bike in for a free final check before it did run out, so any issues could be sorted before warranty ran out. Didn't take it up because shes running just fine.
2004 Girly.

Patrick the Scot

Was the 24K service a standard service, as detailed in the owners manual, or was it that plus extras?  $1100 sounds expensive for a scheduled service.  I hope I'm not in for the same racket here in the States.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

TRKTEK

I just got an estimate for my 12000km service .......WOW!!!

5 Hrs labour for the valve adjustment.......at $82.50 per hr

Methinks a manual purchase is in order...... :shock:
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

tiger feet

What else did they do other than the standard service items?

£600 sounds a bit steep to me!

I don't think that the labour rates will vary that much?

Regards,

Tiger Feet.
Four wheels good, two wheels better, three wheels accident!

Brother Number One

My 04 is just going out of warranty and I will definitely be doing the servicing myself.  In fact, I've already done a bit: did a crafty oil change on a campsite in France.

:D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Clemski

Hi,

The parts came to £220.66, the labour was £294.00 and with the good old VAT coming a close third at £90.07, giving a grand total of £604.73. It would seem a bloody good idea to get a manual, or search around for a good dealer.

greg

I have just ordered a manual on CD from ebay for home servicing, will let you all know if it's any good when it arrives.
2004 Girly.

Jim S

My 04 Tiger's coming up for a service, 12,000 miles. Shirlaws of Aberdeen, Scotland quoted me £400 without parts, I thought this a bit extravagant so I'm putting it to my local dealer instead, it's booked in for Thursday so I'll let you know the damage. I agree it seems a bit much. The city dealerships have horrendous rates to pay for their prime location, country garages IMO take greater care and charge less as they don't have the overheads. I've always been of the opinion that after the warranty period is past there's no need for dealership services. I'm using my local as I want the history stamped, otherwise I'd be doing it myself.

Valves with shims are a lot of work but if you've got the time they're reasonably easy to do.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

steveb

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just ordered a manual on CD from ebay for home servicing, will let you all know if it's any good when it arrives.

I hope you have more luck than me.... The manual I ordered turned out to be for the meriden twin tiger. I told seller of the misrepresentation, but he would not change the description on ebay![/quote]

MARKC

I've just has a 12000 mile service on my 2000 885i. I thought I would be in for a right hammering.But was pleasently surprised at a bill for £281,plus the mechanic lent me his bike while mine was been serviced.

Sofalofa2005

Just had my 12,000 mile service 2 weeks ago (2005 955i), cost £418... full service was £375 but I needed new brake pads all round... Bugged me a bit as it had new pads all round at 6,000 service. Most of my miles are daily motorway miles and I don't use the brakes that much. Still, bike feels like new again so I don't mind... A friend with a Honda VFR had his VTEC 16,000 service a couple of months ago... cost £685!

Clemski

Next big service, may well be a worth a trip up your way to get it done,

Cheers Clemski :P

on my 24K service, the labour charge was £225 and the total £357 incl VAT. So your bits must have included pads or chain or summat!?