News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tire repair question

Started by obsean, July 01, 2006, 12:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obsean

O.K. Folks

I came across an imteresting situation the other day.  While I was changing the shock, I took my rear tire in to have a slow leak patched up.

None of the motorcycle dealerships in town would repair it for me, not even the Triumph dealer.  They said it was a liability issue, that if the patch ever failed while driving down the road that the tire would go flat and you could possibly crash.

I thought the whole reason that Triumph switched to the tubless tire and rim setup was in part for ease of repair, especially in the more rural areas of the world.

Now I know that somewhere, sometime, someone has sued a motorcycle company for fixing their flat tire, and then gone out and crashed, and got some slimy lawyer to dream up that it was the patch on the tire that made the guy crash, not his reckless driving or bad judgement that caused the accident.

I'm curious if this is just a local thing or if it is a USA thing or world wide?

The dealers way of fixing the flat is to replace the tire. At a cost of 158.00.

That's one hell of an expensive patch!!!!!

wasions

A local automotive tire/oil change shop recently pulled a nail and patched the tire (inside patch - no plug).  They said they do it all the time.
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

Brother Number One

I always just replace tyres when puctured because every now and then I go pretty fast and I have enough to worry about without wondering if the patch is going to hold out.

If I was stuck in a funny country, I'd put a tube in to get me home :idea:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Quote from: "Brother Number One"If I was stuck in a funny country, I'd put a tube in to get me home :idea:

Yeah! If you could find one to fit. It's big tube that's needed in the back.

Jim S

I blew up a bike tube the size of a tractor rear one once, used it to play in the local water hole down at the river!

If for an emergency to get me home from a far away place and no replacement available I'd have no quams with sticking in a tube and blowing it up, even if it was rated for a narrower wheel! Just drive accordingly,

I suppose it comes down to personal choice, I decided not to take my old Honda out today as the front tyre is showing signs of perishing, well, it is 26 yrs old! If you tend to ride hard and fast, I'd consider a new tyre, a repair failing over 100mph could be disasterous. The old Honda will get a new set of tyres next week! (not that it sees over the ton, TOO SCARY!)
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Chris Canning

Punture repairs are depend on were the punture is,i have a fair bit to do with the bike trade anything even marginal and they won't do it,and i don't blame e'm,i've lost track of the number of times i've seen dealers do someone a favour only for that same person to come back and shove up their ass!!!.

When i had my tubed supermoto wheels and the back tyre was a 180 i always carried a spare with me,if you think there's ever going to be a problem the name of the game is to cut the odds down!!.

Sasquatch

Guys,

In 25 years of riding and racing I have patched more tires than I care to even think about.  Many on 125+ hp sportbikes.

I have never, ever, had a patch "fail".

My last tiger tire had no less than 3 string plugs in the tire and it still held air perfect.  Rode it untill it wore out.

If you guys want to replace near new tires that have had a nail in them, if I pay the shipping, can I have them????

Brother Number One

You shouldn't have knocked a nail into that tyre just for the sake of a photo for this thread :D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger