News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sidestand cut-out switch

Started by cbxtc6, September 14, 2006, 04:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbxtc6

:smt013

Got up this morning, and lo and behold, the sun was out - first time in a week!  Hey, I'll take the Tiger to work (it's a lovely 80 mile one-way trip). Boots, liner (hey, it was 45F out!) jacket, i-pod, helmet, gloves - SET!  Pull the Tiger out of the garage, climb on, turn the key, and fire the ('03) beast up!  She lites immediately, and I let the engine settle into it's low growl.  Kickstand up, clutch in, nick it into first gear - clutch out, and she dies.  Ok.  BTDT.  Tried agaon.  Same thing.  F*#k!  I messed with the kickstand swich for a minute or two, to no avail.  I was now running a bit late, so took the bloody cage to work.  On one of the nicest days in weeks.

SO what's the deal here?  It appears the switch itself has some kind of cover on it.  Does the switch get goobered up, and can you clean it, or should I just jumper the wire at the connector - if that's the case, where is the sidestand switch connector?

Damn.

NortonCharlie

Yes, the switch gets goobered up and sticks.  Mine was giving me problems when it was cold.  Until I had time clean it I reached down and pulled the plunger.  I pulled the little rubber boot back and used WD-40 to clean it up.  It has been good for a couple more years.  I have a bad habit of over lubing my chain and it got onto the switch and made it a bit sticky.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando