News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

crashed tiger - cash out or rebuild?

Started by acollbpse, September 14, 2006, 06:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acollbpse

My low speed encounter last month with a delivery truck and the pavement has totalled my '01 Tiger according to the insurance folks.  The bike was in great shape (new tires, great paint, 4000 miles).

They will pay me what I paid for the bike $5K, which is what the current Kelly Blue Book is for one with 'normal' miles (probably 15-20k miles).

If I want it back, it will cost me $2100 of that $5k.  It will branded as salvage, and I'll need to get it re-inspected by the state DMV to get it re-branded as reconstructed.  This means no cutting corners, the paint has to be nice and shiney, the plastic has to look smooth, and all the items on the adjuster's report need to be addressed and replaced/repaired.

It needs some bodywork rash repairs and paint, an engine case cover, footpegs, mirrors, lights, and some welding to the passenger's footpeg mount on the frame (peg mount got bent in a touch).

I've been looking for used Tigers for 3 weeks and haven't seen much that I can buy as a replacementfor the $5k (mostly found much older than mine or many more miles than mine).

I can't ride anymore this year because of my shoulder injury so I don't need a bike NOW and I can wait for a good deal over the winter.  But, my old bike has such low miles on it, and I'll have the time in the off season to do the bondo and paint work to the body (nothing broken, just rash) and bolt the new bits on.

What do you folks think?
2001 Tiger 955i

1986 FZ750

2004Tiger

Sounds like a nice winter project. You can fix it for much less than $3000 so you will come out at a profit. However, I don't know what an "engine case cover" is. Is it expensive?

Glad you survived the accident.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

TRKTEK

Every one deserves a second chance.........

Especially a trusty Tiger......

Heal yourself and the big cat and start fresh in the spring a stronger and wiser team :wink:

Good luck
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

acollbpse

I decided yesterday to rebuild the cat, so I hauled it home tonight in the rain and managed to get it off the pickup truck onto a very skinny ramp (2x6) and not drop it in the driveway during the unloading process.

I'll take that as the first positive sign in this whole ordeal.

Make that the second sign, the first sign was getting the bike home without the craptacular datatool alarm going off.  Maybe the battery is dead...

Wish me luck in the rebuild.  First items to buy:  alternator cover and footpeg (both ground up in the wreck).
2001 Tiger 955i

1986 FZ750

TigerTrax

You'd better write down Baxter Cycle in   Marne, Iowa NOW...

you'll need them!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

zombie

I hit a deer on my 01 and bought it back for $500 as you can bargain with your insurance company.

I repainted it myself in matt black , the main thing is to have all your receipts for the inspection after that they don't seem to care . It's all about the paperwork. By the way if you buy stuff off e-bay most inspection stations will not accept a bill of sale from e-bay  as they want to see new equipment from the dealer

Green Lantern

Sorry about your shoulder,bro.

Again, buy all your parts from a dealer or genuine parts supplier. And if it doesn't go well just wait until that 1050cc version starts selling and a lot of guys are going to be unloading their 06 or earlier models around the country. There's going to be some great deals out there! :smt023

stanegoli

Broken shoulder is a bummer - been there etc etc. Take care with that.

A 2001 with 4000 miles!! If you can buy it back and get it like new within  the $5000 they are offering you, it is a no brainer. Go for it.

:shock: