News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

07 tiger seen in person

Started by Glenn 141, October 29, 2006, 11:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn 141

I was at the local dealer and got to sit on the new 07 Tiger and must say it is stunning. I was going to buy a Ducati 1100s Multistrada but after reading many forums online I am afraid of this bike due to poor build quality and reliability problems along with poor dealer service.

Now the Tiger in in the running along with the BMW.

Is the 1050 triple a smooth vibration free motor? How about reliability with these bikes, do they hold up and are they build to high standards?

Bushwhacker

I had a Multistrada 1000 and had no real problems with it.

I bought it in July of this year in Miami Florida and rode it back to Houston (over 1300 miles) problem free.

Over the next couple of months I rode several 200 plus mile weekend days.

In September I took off from Houston and rode it to the North Rim of Grand Canyon (over 1300 miles) with no problems.

Unfortunately about 30 miles north of the Grand Canyon a camper and I tried to occupy the same lane space at the same time and I totaled it.

I do not know how the 1100 will be but I thought the 1000 was well built and handled and rode great on the open road.

I have a 2000 Thunderbird Sport and just got rid of a 2005 Tiger.  The triple engine is great.  Produces great power and has about the flatest torque curve on a bike.

They do say you can expect to have to rebuild the engine at about 200,000 miles.

Both Triumphs start(ed) first time every time with nary a problem.

I went down about 3 weeks ago and traded the 2005 Tiger on a Caspian Blue 2007 ABS version Tiger to be delivered in March 07.

Why did I choose the new Tiger over the new Multistrada especially considering the additional wait?

1.  I like the idea of ABS and the Multi does not offer it.

2,  I do not know about the 2007 Tiger but aftermarket parts were more readily available for my 2005 Tiger than for the 2004 Multi.

3.  Like I noted earlier the Multi was great on the open road (above 50), but I could not find a comfortable gear for riding around town.  At 35-45 mph the engine was either boging if I down shifted, reving so high that minor throttle input made it very jumpy.  I even tried changing the front sproket from a 15 tooth to a 14 tooth sprocket and while others said this cured the problem for them I did not find that it helped that much.  I never had this problem with either Triumph.

4.  The Multi had a front wheel shudder under hard breaking that scared me.  You can check out www.multistrada.net for a number of posts about this problem.

Other than that the specs on both bikes is very similar and I expect both to handle well and be great rides.

Arguments for the Multistrada -

In all social situations involving motorcycle riders, be they cruiser riders, sport bike riders, adventure riders, dirt riders, touring riders or any others the COOL factor of riding a Ducati is just way above that of just about any other make of motorcycle.

-
When you look like a rude, crude, scum-sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions.

2000 Thunderbird Sport - Yellow w/Ghost Flames

2007 Tiger - White w/ABS

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Blue