News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

12,000 mile service

Started by Bliker, December 27, 2006, 11:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Reber

He should at least give you a kiss  :evil:

Dirtdog

After sharpening his pencil the Birmingham Triumph dealer figured

on 600.00 for the complete 12k service. He said that should include

all parts, oil change, but no sugar etc. That's for my 2005 Tiger.

That's better than 700 but still high.

William Reber

I was in B'ham last week to visit my kids , is your dealer the one just off I - 20 That sells BMW also ? If it is, he is trying to make you pay BMW prices. It would be worth your Time , not to mention "the fun of the ride" to find another dealer to do your work. :roll:

Dirtdog

Yes that's the one but it's off of I459 not I20. It's a great dealership I have several good friends there and I know the owner so I'm torn in between that and having the work done locally by an ace mechanic in town that has quoted me 250 for labor, plus parts. It's like I could have the work done there and he would throw in a set of tires or a rear shock for the same price I would pay at the dealership just for the tune up. I'm a poor guy and have to watch every penny but I am also loyal to friends to, so it's a tough decision for me. I also need tires and would like the front springs replaced to so I am looking at about a 500 dollar difference in the end between the two and that's very noticable to my budget.

William Reber

Come to Columbia I'll put you up I have a big house, set it up at the Batesburg shop. Thats a 6 hour ride by the way. However friends or no friends if the guy who wants 250, well all I can say is money talks. But watch That Triumph does not void your two year safety net.

Dirtdog

Thanks for the offer on the visit and the reminder about the warranty

stuff to. The guy has the highest mechanic certification that you can have but that may mean nothing when push comes to shove over a

warranty claim. I'll weigh that risk into the equasion when it's in

need of service. I am still about 1K short of the needed 12K service.

Thanks again,

HockleyBoy

Just had my 12,000 miler done on my 05 at Laguna Motorcycles in Maidstone and paid £420.

Cost a lot but the service was excellent, had a nice newTriumph Sprint loan bike for the day and it's certainly made a difference to the way the Tiger runs!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

William Reber

:roll: WOW hope they washed and waxed it for you ! Well you at least got to ring out a Sprint. My dealer lets us use a Speed Tripple 955 but it's a blast to ride.

Brooks Short

I just had the 12,000 mile service done on my '06 Tiger two weeks ago at Haps Cycle Sales  in Sarasota, Florida.

I had already done an oil and filter change myself so wasn't charged for that.  Haps did the rest of the 12K service, including replacing the fork oil with 15w instead of 10w fork oil, checking the valves but no adjustment needed, and downloading the off-road tune, etc.

Total cost was $247.00
One Less Car

William Reber

Brooks , what oil are you using ? The four liter bottle is 68 bucks at my dealership

Brooks Short

William,

I'm using Mobil One Racing XT full synthetic oil which is recommended by Triumph.  Here in Tampa, AutoZone has it for $8.50 per quart.  I'm also using Triumph OEM oil filters.
One Less Car

JRO

I think I'll ride to Florida for my 24,000mile service.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Quote from: "JRO"I think I'll ride to Florida for my 24,000mile service.

I tried to get my bike in for its first service at Atlanta Triumph and was told they couldn't get me into the shop for 6 weeks so I took it up to Chattanooga and was pleased with the service. Depending on the cost for the 12k mile service, I may end up going to Fla as well. Might as well make a weekend out of it, would be cheaper than some of the quoted prices in this thread.

ArizonaKid

Arizona Superbike (formerly CycleMoto) in the Phoenix, AZ metro area charges in the neighborhood of $800 for a major service.  They did my 12K service, but I just finished the 24 K service.  There's a lot of work involved with a complete major service and I would question those who say they are doing it for $250, or even $500.  Parts alone (oil, filter, coolant, brake fluid, spark plugs, fuel filter, fork oil, gaskets and such will run you more than half that).  Plus, there's a special tools involved with swapping valve shims (which will cost a little) and unless you can improvise you'll need to obtain the tool.  If something is discovered that needs replaced (fork seals, water pump, hoses, or whatever, that will be an added expense).  Labor at $65-$85 an hour times at least 5 hours, plus parts puts it way beyond $250.  Just stripping the Tiger down to the frame and motor is time comsuming in itself and then you'll need to do the actual service work after that.  Unless you have some pro bono arrangement with the $250 shop I'd be very leary and cautious, IMHO.  If you take your time and have moderate mechanical skills and the tools you can do it yourself.  A shop manual will help as will ordering the parts you'll need prior to actually starting the work.  Sees the dealer almost never has all the parts you need and will have to order something.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Brooks Short

As I mentioned earlier in my post about the $250 12K service, I had changed the oil and filter myself ( about $35 in parts), and the valves were checked and didn't need adjustment.  

I had forgotten that the air filter was cleaned, not replaced because it was not necessary so that might have been another $35 savings? As it happens I was wrong about the cost of my recent 12K service on my Tiger.  It was $231, not $247 as I thought. My bad.

Here are the actual charges for the 12K service, without oil change or filter:

3- spark plugs (DPR8EA-9  $    2.74 @ ..............$  8.22

0- air filter                        $  33.99 @...............$       0

1 DOT 5.1 Brake fluid        $    7.47 @...............$  7.47

2 HP Coolant Qt 50/50       $    3.99 @ ..............$  7.98

2 Fork Fluid 15W               $   10.72@ ..............$ 21.44

Shop Supplies                   $     4.00@..............$   4.00

2.8 Hours Labor                $   65.00@..............$ 182.00

Total:..........................$ 231.11

Certainly had a valve adjustment been needed then the labor cost and shims required would add to the cost but would the total bill be as much as  $800 ?  Not likely.

BTW, Haps sells BMW, Honda and Triumph motorcycles and their sales and service for these brands is well known in west central Florida. I've been a happy customer for 16 years having also ought two BMWs from them in the past.
One Less Car